• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Operating NOT under Part 135 ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So if you are a single plane, single pilot operation, does that mean you are operating under Part 91? If not, then what types of ops can operate under part 91? What about VFR air taxi or flightseeing or something?

My understanding is that freight can operate under P91 but since air taxi and flightseeing is "common carriage" then they must be 135, yes?

Last edited:
Pete, from your question and replys I would say you are way over your head. You can pay some one to set up a 135 for you or you can take a year to teach your self what you need to know just to start.

The old saying still applys: You can make a small fortune in aviation if you start with a large one. How much time and money do you have??

JAFI

Kream926 said:
heres question

a friend and i looked into this and we dont think we can do it. tryin to get a 135 certificate but were told we'd need a C.P, director of ops and a head of maintenance. all we have is a barron 55.

can someone clarify this that knows the lamen's terms for regs??

You and muffin' ? Funny ... both of you can't see over the dashboard without an extra cushion. :D

Please don't send me a PM - this was just another harmless joke ment in jest ;)

QUOTE=PeteCO So if you are a single plane, single pilot operation, does that mean you are operating under Part 91? ------- No. /If not, then what types of ops can operate under part 91? ------119.1(e)./ What about VFR air taxi ---- No /or flightseeing ----- 119.1(e) /or something?----?????

My understanding is that freight can operate under P91 ------- No /but since air taxi and flightseeing is "common carriage" then they must be 135, yes? ------- Yes / No to sightseeing within 25 nm with the caveat that you must establish a Drug Program per Part 121 App. I & J

Last edited:
cvsfly said:
QUOTE=PeteCO So if you are a single plane, single pilot operation, does that mean you are operating under Part 91? ------- No. /If not, then what types of ops can operate under part 91? ------119.1(e)./ What about VFR air taxi ---- No /or flightseeing ----- 119.1(e) /or something?----?????

My understanding is that freight can operate under P91 ------- No /but since air taxi and flightseeing is "common carriage" then they must be 135, yes? ------- Yes / No to sightseeing within 25 nm with the caveat that you must establish a Drug Program per Part 121 App. I & J

Part 91 freight sounds like it would be much easier if someone could make a living doing just that.

From reading Part 91 and 119.1, it looks like freight must be run under Part 135, is that correct? In other words, there is no such ting as Part 91 freight.

Also, I see no FAA definition for "common carrier". Does that refer to passengers only or any activity for hire, including cargo, other than activities mentioned in 119.1?

Last edited:
PeteCO said:
From reading Part 91 and 119.1, it looks like freight must be run under Part 135, is that correct? In other words, there is no such ting as Part 91 freight.

Also, I see no FAA definition for "common carrier". Does that refer to passengers only or any activity for hire, including cargo, other than activities mentioned in 119.1?

The FAA treats cargo just as valuable as passengers.

As for the def of "common carrier", there is no direct def published by the FAA. Instead, look up the def of "non-common carriage" for some insight. It can be found under 119.1.

Latest resources

Back