Operating NOT under Part 135 ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PeteCO

Can a single pilot who owns an airplane run cargo or air taxi without being Part 135? In other words, is there a way to provide work for hire without jumping through the Part 135 hoops for one man operations?

If not, what about "leasing on" or something with an operator? Show up with your plane and do work for the summer, say in AK. Is this commonplace? I know that people will often go to AK for summer work, and I figure it would be easier to get such work if you used your own plane.

One more question - how bureaucratic is the 135 process? Just some paperwork or is it tons of hassle?

1. Yes, with an operating certificate.

2. ". . .provide work for hire. . ." rephrase that one.

3. Leasing might be an option, but your plane has to be part 135 capable(ie. . .cargo nets, etc.)

4. Look up Operations Specifications. Not bureaucratic, so much as, tedious(Tons of hassle).

i could be wrong on this but...

From what I know a single pilot, single plane 135 cert is pretty easy to get. Just go to your local FSDO and get the details. It may be easier than you think. I know a guy who has a 182 on 135 this way. he doen't do much work but has nothing better to do also.

A single pilot basic certificate 5 or less pilots is fairly easy to get. Depends on the FSDO. Fl. FSDO's are running min 4 months to a year. Some where like Boise or SLC will ake about 30 daysto 6 months. Biggest obstacle is haaving an aircraft thst isd 135 capable must pass a conformity check by the fed's.

heres question

a friend and i looked into this and we dont think we can do it. tryin to get a 135 certificate but were told we'd need a C.P, director of ops and a head of maintenance. all we have is a barron 55.

can someone clarify this that knows the lamen's terms for regs??

PeteCO said:
One more question - how bureaucratic is the 135 process? Just some paperwork or is it tons of hassle?

Like anything else, if you know what your doing - it is easy, if you do not - it is tons of hassle.

If you do a search of this and other sites, you will find the other thousands of low time pilots who have asked the same question.

Here is a link that discribes the "Official" Process.

Enjoy

JAFI

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/media/volume2/V2_Toc.pdf

Kream926 said:
heres question

a friend and i looked into this and we dont think we can do it. tryin to get a 135 certificate but were told we'd need a C.P, director of ops and a head of maintenance. all we have is a barron 55.

can someone clarify this that knows the lamen's terms for regs??

These are management positions required for a Basic Operator, which allows up to 5 aircraft and 5 pilots (SIC's included). You sound like you are shooting for a Single Pilot Operator or Single Pilot-in-Command Operator (one PIC authorized) which do not require the management positions, formal Operations Manual or Training Program. See Part 119, 135 and Inspectoors Handbook 8400.

cvsfly said:
These are management positions required for a Basic Operator, which allows up to 5 aircraft and 5 pilots (SIC's included). You sound like you are shooting for a Single Pilot Operator or Single Pilot-in-Command Operator (one PIC authorized) which do not require the management positions, formal Operations Manual or Training Program. See Part 119, 135 and Inspectoors Handbook 8400.

im rackin my brain with this one. i cant find it anywhere in 119. all i can find is 6000 lbs and less than 20 seats. handbook 8400, never heard of it.

Part 119 = Certification rules i.e. who needs to operate under which rules.
Part 135 = Operating rules
Inspector's Handbook = Guidelines for FAA Inspectors and Air Carrier Operators - This will tell you everything you need for setting up a 135 Operation. http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/

If you are not familiar with any of these plan on a year or more on the self-discovery phase and application phase of the 135 certification. Most FSDOs at the moment are short staffed and any application better have their ducks in a row or expect more than a year obtaining any certificate.

Get business plan, show financial status/ability, get aircraft, make it 135 compliant, issure it with appropiate commercial liability, set up Drug Program, etc. Or get a professional to help you - www.gln.com ?

All it takes is money, time, and expertise.

Latest resources

Back