Opening a VFR flight plan in NJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Any NJ locals know the best way to open a VFR flight plan? I'm going to be flying there for the first time next week and was told the FSS(Milville?) has closed down and all VOR's are not being monitored.

call williamsport FSS and listen thru PNE vor (112.0). When you call on 122.2 or 122.0 or whatever it is tell them your receiving thru PNE vor.

We did it this way back in the late 80's/early 90's.

To open it you'd have to file it first. I wouldn't file in the air. That what 800 wx brief is for. I have my students file a VFR flight plan for X-C and then request flight following. If consistently unable to recieve flight following then I tell them they should open in the air by calling the FSS freq.

I have question. What is the difference in the ATC protocol and handling of the aircraft on a VFR flight plan as opposed to using flight following successfully. What differences would one notice on in flight communications?

mcjohn said:
To open it you'd have to file it first. I wouldn't file in the air. That what 800 wx brief is for. I have my students file a VFR flight plan for X-C and then request flight following. If consistently unable to recieve flight following then I tell them they should open in the air by calling the FSS freq.

I have question. What is the difference in the ATC protocol and handling of the aircraft on a VFR flight plan as opposed to using flight following successfully. What differences would one notice on in flight communications?

There is no difference, ATC will not provide separation for VFR aircraft and you really don't talk to them when you have a open VFR flight plan unless you specifically contact them and get flight following. You can have an open VFR flight plan and not talk to any ATC facility (besides the required one) and fly as if it was a regular VFR flight. If you're a student on a x-c flight, a wiser way would be to file a VFR flight plan AND activate upon departing (because so many people tend not to or forget to open their VFR flight plan once they have it filed), once you have it open, contact ATC and get flight following to your location, and once you get there, CLOSE the flight plan (again, many forget to close it!).

mcjohn said:

It doesn't make one bit of difference if you've filed a VFR flight plan or not. VFR plans are never passed along to ATC-- they remain with the flight service station.

mcjohn said:
Thanks ya'll. But that kind of makes me think about whether or not its worth it file a VFR plan considering that so many people forget to close them.
Senator Kennedy spent two hours on the phone to get a search going for JFK Jr when he disappeared on an unfiled VFR flight.

If you crash, how long do you think it will be before anyone starts looking for you? And when they do, how will they know where to look?

A VFR flight plan is like a NASA form, its free and reduces your risk. Its a no-brainer.

Oh, and as far where to open, if you have a recent gps then the 'nearests fss' function will look up the freq for you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back