Opening a VFR flight plan in NJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcjohn said:
BTW I'm guessing JFK Jr. should have filed an instrument flight plan considering why he crashed.

And Filing IFR would have done what for him? Recorded his last screams on the ATC tape? IFR skills would have saved his butt, an IFR clearence wouldn't have done a d@mn thing as he spiralled out of control.

groundpointsix said:
It doesn't make one bit of difference if you've filed a VFR flight plan or not. VFR plans are never passed along to ATC-- they remain with the flight service station.
File a VFR flight plan and put "request flight following" in the Remarks block. In most cases, it will generate a strip all along your route of flight, just like an IFR flight. Each ATC facility will be expecting you and you'll get handed off from one to the next without asking.

It's very nice, I know from experience.

Catbert said:
File a VFR flight plan and put "request flight following" in the Remarks block. In most cases, it will generate a strip all along your route of flight, just like an IFR flight. Each ATC facility will be expecting you and you'll get handed off from one to the next without asking.

It's very nice, I know from experience.

From my private training my instructor told me that if you dont arrive in X number of minutes prior to when you say you are going to when you file VFR, that they will start search and rescue to look for you.

However... what i didn't follow up to ask him was... if you file and request flight following, and you are delayed because of the winds aloft being different than forecasted, or you are vectored around for traffic, do they still send out search and rescue even if you are late and still have ATC contact with them?

They will start trying to figure out where you are 30 minutes after your ETA. That doesn't mean that they're going to send out the CAP right away, but they'll start calling around to try to find you. They might call the number in your flight plan, the airport that you said you were going to land at, airports along your route of flight or ATC facilities along your route of flight. In that case, they'd probably be able to figure out that you were still alive and you'd probably just get a reminder from ATC, if anything.

groundpointsix said:
They will start trying to figure out where you are 30 minutes after your ETA. That doesn't mean that they're going to send out the CAP right away, but they'll start calling around to try to find you. They might call the number in your flight plan, the airport that you said you were going to land at, airports along your route of flight or ATC facilities along your route of flight. In that case, they'd probably be able to figure out that you were still alive and you'd probably just get a reminder from ATC, if anything.

I see, thanks for the info.
If i was in the air and figured out i was going to be late. Do i just turn to 122.0 to tell them i'm going to be late?

thanks

Alin10123 said:
I see, thanks for the info.
If i was in the air and figured out i was going to be late. Do i just turn to 122.0 to tell them i'm going to be late?

thanks

The FSS guys have a protocol they start if you don't close your flight plan. It's certainly a good idea to call and revise your eta if you are going to be more than half an hour late.

I wouldn't use 122.0 to update your eta because that is supposed to be used for weather only. Use any of the other FSS freqs for your area as shown on the charts and in the AFD.

Latest resources

Back