• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OOPS!! UAL 747 on it's tail.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My local news reported that the tail section broke on landing. I love the news:rolleyes: .
I knew right away that was'nt true. They obviously were trying to pop a wheelie.

At first glance I thought it must have happened when all the Flight Attendants went to the back of the airplane for a union meeting! :D

Jim Smyth said:
At first glance I thought it must have happened when all the Flight Attendants went to the back of the airplane for a union meeting! :D

That's exactly what I thought, and after my last two crossings you are not far from what "might happen in the future"

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva][size=-1]From a pretty good source......

xxxx said they had a hydraulic problem (transfer I think). The crew brought it back to SFO. That night maintenance crews pinned the landing gear in place so they could raise the gear handle to troubleshoot the problem. The REAL problem is that whoever pinned the body gear (which is AFT of the wing gear) did it incorrectly. Basically the body gear wasn't pinned at all. When the gear handle was placed in the up position With 110,000# of fuel in the wing tanks and only the body gear retracted, the plane's CG went aft of the wing gear and down it went, settling now on the wing gear and the tail.
[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva][size=-1]

No pax, pilots, or FA's on board
[/size][/font]

Latest resources

Back