Ontop 8 ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

Has anyone ever used this program for IFR proficiency ? I currently just started messing with my Microsoft Flightsim 2004, and I'm not that impressed. I figured it would have NDB approaches and other little practice items that many of us do not use on a daily basis. I am probably not using the program to the best of its ability, so any insight would help out in that area too.

Thanks,

"a guy that sucks at NDB holds and approaches"

F16fixer said:
Has anyone ever used this program for IFR proficiency ? I currently just started messing with my Microsoft Flightsim 2004, and I'm not that impressed. I figured it would have NDB approaches and other little practice items that many of us do not use on a daily basis. I am probably not using the program to the best of its ability, so any insight would help out in that area too.

Thanks,

"a guy that sucks at NDB holds and approaches"

I use OnTop 7.0, and it works very well. It has every approach to every Apt in it's database, and you can configure your panel, Wx, failures, etc. I use it before every checkride to practice a few holds, NDB approaches, etc.

You must be doing something wrong with MSFS, it has the complete Jeppesen nav database in it, what airport of NDB are you not receiving?
I've used MS Flightsim extensively for practicing instrument procedures in the past, works great, works just as well as OnTop, if not better.

When I open up the program it shows me the instrument training part. The only approaches I could find were the VOR and the ILS. They were both in the inst. training section. Where else should I be looking?

Thanks

RideTheWind said:
You must be doing something wrong with MSFS, it has the complete Jeppesen nav database in it, what airport of NDB are you not receiving?
I've used MS Flightsim extensively for practicing instrument procedures in the past, works great, works just as well as OnTop, if not better.

Flying IFR is easy, learn the numbers, my plane on an ILS in 15 inches at the OM giving me 500ft/min decent when I drop the gear. You should be able to fly a hands off approach on the glideslope only making minor corrections with your feet.

F16fixer said:
When I open up the program it shows me the instrument training part. The only approaches I could find were the VOR and the ILS. They were both in the inst. training section. Where else should I be looking?

Thanks

Alt key for menu
Look under world & map

The map view will show NDB's

There are also many 3rd party aircraft available, with much more realistic looking panels, than what comes stock. Quite a number of aircraft owner/pilots actually prefer this (MSFS) program over many other's such as on top for proficiency. But then we're use to this program & know what we're looking for.

Thanks

I'll try that.

Thanks,
Luke

(Usually it takes about four responses to find what your looking for on this board.)

I appreciate the straight foward answer

TDTURBO said:
Flying IFR is easy, learn the numbers, my plane on an ILS in 15 inches at the OM giving me 500ft/min decent when I drop the gear. You should be able to fly a hands off approach on the glideslope only making minor corrections with your feet.

What the heck did this have to do with anything? He was asking about flight sim not about how to do an approach.

F16fixer said:
I'll try that.

Thanks,
Luke

(Usually it takes about four responses to find what your looking for on this board.)

Dude, MS Flightsim is so easy to use, hit the alt key and the find the go to menu at the top of the screen, go to your local airport, find the NDB approach you want to use and set the freq. and fly the approach until you are an NDB guru.

Now my question is how did you pass a CFII ride and now you want help learning an NDB approach.

If his checkride was liek mine he didn't have to shoot and NDB on the CFII ride.

In his defense, he jsut said he "sucked" (that is a quote from him) at them....that doesnt mean he didn't know how to do them. And he wasn't looking for help with ndb approaches, just how to load them up in Flight sim

Latest resources

Back