Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Only Mesa, Pinnacle, and XJet respond plz!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spinplate

Ok! once again I need some advice......not really advice, I need input from people that actually work at these companies and are not bipolar or depressed. I have a start date with Pinnacle in August. I have an interview with Mesa next week here in PHX (whicH I like because of PHX base) and then to top it off, XJet calls me today after months of waiting and schedules an interview in August for me. Lets say I do get offers on all three, I do want to minimize commuting, but will do if I have to. I know with Mesa they are hurting for CRJ F/O's right now and if I got based somewhere on east coast for a while that wouldnt bother me since I know I could eventually come back to PHX. Pinnacle is starting to look gloomy ahead, Mesa turns great profits and has great aircraft and contracts (with the majors) but they step on their pilots alot too. And the pilots from XJet cant say enough good things about their company and are completely happy there. Opinion only, which one would have the quicker upgrade? I know Mesa isnt unbearable since I know a few ppl there and I do know an FO for XJet and he loves it!! I know it could change at any given second with regards to this but IM still curious! Thanks!

I am at XJET and love it also. They treat us pretty good and scheduling isnt a bunch of nazis. I commuted for a couple months and made my commute home everytime. Crews are great also. Might be a little longer upgrade but i wouldnt change jobs for a quicker upgrade. I would rather sit as an fo a little longer at a good company than upgrade quicker and sit at a bad company for a few years. Take it for what its worth. Good luck

Another XJetter here:

For the quality of the company I would choose XJET hands down (severly biased though). That being said though I wouldn't let that alone be the deciding factor. The growth at XJET is about to come to a screeching halt. Things are going gangbusters for now but that's probably only going to last about another 12 months. We are scheduled to take our final ERJ delivery next year and once it's here, as far as any of us know, that's gonna be it for us. So in theory once we reach staffing levels for all aircraft on property then things may just stagnate at that point and where you sat on the seniority list at that point may be where you'd be staying for a long time. So for upgrades XJET is not going to be your best bet. Also if you'd like to live where you are currently at in PHX then MESA would be the obvious choice but like you said contract enforcement over there is a daily battle. Don't know much about PNCL so can't help you there.

Just remember that it's not all about the money and the job. If you're not happy at home you'll never be happy at work.

Another thing to consider is what if you lost your job for some reason. Where would you want to be in that situation? Close to "home" or way off over in a part of the country that you really didn't care for in the first place.

Just some food for thought.

One things for sure, we definitely need more cowbell !!

Last edited:
Is the XJet interview before your Pinnacle class is supposed to start? If you can get the job at XJet, I would take it.

PCL_128 said:
Is the XJet interview before your Pinnacle class is supposed to start? If you can get the job at XJet, I would take it.

yeah, Pinnacle is Aug. 22 and ExpressJet is 2nd week in Aug for interview. Pinnacle ppl were great though!!! At least I have a backup!

I have really enjoyed my time at Express Jet. Quality of life is everything. In our industry, today's fastest upgrade is tomorrow's stagnation or furlough. Or vice versa. No way of knowing. Besides, you're not going to get your 1K turbine PIC and be competitve for anything, so might as well go with the best operation.Express Jet is going to be around for a while. Good training, livable contract, excellent MX, and better work rules than any other 50 seat provider. Some folks will try to worry you about the CPA, but you had better believe that CAL and XJT already have it done. (CAL has to nail down their long-term costs.) With our economy of scale, nobody can do our flying for less than we can.

Only drawbacks to XJT? You might have to fly with me someday :eek: and our bases suck. (I live in Houston and I can say that.)

I don't think Mesa and ExpressJet are even comparable. Nothing against the Mesa pilot group, but the company just plain sucks. I'm sure the majority of them will agree with that.

Spinplate said:
yeah, Pinnacle is Aug. 22 and ExpressJet is 2nd week in Aug for interview. Pinnacle ppl were great though!!! At least I have a backup!

My advice is to go to ExpressJet if you get the offer. If I'm not mistaken, I think they will tell you either the same day or the next day after the interview whether you got the job. If you don't get the offer from XJet, then come on over to Pinnacle. At least you'll get paid and put in a hotel during training now. It's a long upgrade now, but that's true at ExpressJet also. In any case, as bad as Pinnacle sometimes is, it's still not as bad as working for Johnny O. over at Mesa. I would just scratch that one off the list. I know it's home in PHX possibly, but it just isn't worth it.

XJet

I'm from PHL, was too "experienced" to get the RJ in PHL (5 mile commute) at Mesa and had to suffer Dash training in which 35% of the class attrited. Ended up in PHX where I sucked up airport ready reserve for 12 months. Oh, and the commute? Sucked eggs.

BTW, the cowbell is back from 12 months in hibernation. It started here and will end here.

Latest resources

Back