• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Only have a Private & Hate College

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Bobby: Where is the list of airlines requiring a 4-yr degree? AA, UAL, CAL, DAL do not count because they are not even interviewing and are most likely years away from hiring. And again you have never answered “Why if the 4-yr degree is way to ensure you will get hired, how come non-4-yr degree guys are hired in front of the degreed pilots?

Why if the 4-yr degree is way to ensure you will get hired, how come non-4-yr degree guys are hired in front of the degreed pilots?

Because some people have stronger interview skills than others, regardless of whether or not they have a degree. You constantly miss the point, yip. Proof enough that, at least in your case, some more schooling couldn't hurt.

mayday1 said:
let's also not lose sight of the fact that college is education and imparts knowledge. regardless of an employer's requirements, one can never go wrong with furthering their education.

When all the BS is cleared up as to which airlines give a crap about what...this is my true point. You can never be mistaken in getting a 4 year degree.

mayday1 said:
not sure where you work, but employers don't guarantee anyone anything. Your advancement is based on your performance.

I know that, with one exception -- a collective bargaining agreement (and even then it's not guaranteed -- look what's happening to the airlines). I'm not sure if you were paying attention to the context of my post, but I was responding to a guy that thinks 45k out of school is great money and that his rommate is destined to killer pay raises only because he has a decent starting salary for a college graduate. I as trying to tell him that nobody is guaranteed anything, and whatever they told him in an interview / job offer should be taken with a grain of salt unless there is something substantive to back it up.

ok, but in many fields your value as an employee is commensurate with your experience. when you get into management and leadership ranks you're not making widgets, and companies are willing to pay big bucks for experience.

We're not talking about management, we're talking about a kid who just graduated from college. Yeah, I'm well aware that experience usually dictates that you get a higher salary/pay rate than somebody with less experience. However, length of service within a company is no guarantee of substantial payraises. Your experience is best for negotiating starting pay at a new job, and less so for trying to get more money out of your current employer. The kid was talking as if his roommate would be seeing pay raises of greater than 10% (what I would consider stellar) every year he worked for them (3%-6% depending on review seems to be standard).

mayday1 said:
very true... I've heard on this board a lot of "there's no big money in aviation" which is true these days. However, 6 figure jobs in any industry require a lot of "paying dues" and working your way up.

I can name a six figure a year job in aviation that you can get with a 2 year degree and make the big bucks within 5 years of graduation.

ERAUBrat3 said:
When all the BS is cleared up as to which airlines give a crap about what...this is my true point. You can never be mistaken in getting a 4 year degree.

I sincerely believe that if somebody won't put in the effort in school to achieve above average grades (3.0+) that he may actually be wasting his time and money. I submit myself as an example -- in the field in which I did my undergraduate studies, because of my subpar GPA, it is very difficult to find a job in my field.

pilotyip said:
And again you have never answered “Why if the 4-yr degree is way to ensure you will get hired, how come non-4-yr degree guys are hired in front of the degreed pilots?
You are putting words in my mouth. I never said the degree ensures a job. Nothing will ensure a job. But the degree will certainly improve your chances of getting the interview.

There's your answer, Yip.

Last edited:
No it won't

A four-year degree does not guarantee an interview. More TJ PIC than the 4-yr degree guy, will get you an interview at 172 of the 177 interviewing that do not require or make the 4-yr thing preferred. BTW where is the list of the airlines hiring beside UPS and FedEx that make the degree a showstopper?

Last edited:
My "TJPIC" is bigger than your "TJPIC," or, so much for the "whole-man" concept

pilotyip said:
A four-year degree does not guarantee an interview. More TJ PIC than the 4-yr degree guy, will get you an interview at 172 of the 177 interviewing that do not require or make the 4-yr thing preferred.
Is that an absolute, Yip? What about the other things sought after in the "whole-man" concept of hiring? Which is it, then, "TJPIC" or whole-man??
BTW where is the list of the airlines hiring beside UPS and FedEx that make the degree a showstopper?
As a practical matter, without it when it is clearly "preferred" (note how that sneaky little word pops in), it may as well be a "showstopper" for them, too. In other words, Yip, and, as a hiring authority, you would know this better than any of us poor, sorry (ex) career-builders, the quality of the applicant pool drives the overall hiring profile. Meaning, if the applicant pool is primarily comprised of college graduates, it is those folks who have the advantage.

To that end, once more, Yip, I direct your attention to the old FAPA Career Pilot magazine column, "Congratulations, FAPA Pilots." That column listed FAPA members whom the majors, nationals and turbojets recently hired. Educational background would be listed. I do not recall one pilot listed who had only high school. Most were college graduates or better, with the others having at least some college.

On the subject of FAPA, I stopped subscribing to Kit Darby materials/propaganda/sophistries/pie-in-the-sky many years ago, so, sorry, Yip, I don't have access to his "list."

Last edited:
I didn't read through the entire thread either.

I did learn a very valuable lesson about college, something I wished I had known when I first encountered a miserable instructor.

The lesson is "how to drop a course."

Unlike high school where if you had a poor instructor you were stuck with the flaming jerk for a whole semester. That's not true in college. Drop the idiot and take a different class, even at the small private colleges.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back