• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Only have a Private & Hate College

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eagleflip- I saw the link and so did the majority of this board.You ban him for speaking/showing the truth? Look at the post and see the responses..........Im sorry but we should all take a vote on who to ban!! By the way, what does "disingenuous" mean in your dictionary??????????

Last edited:
Metro752 said:
I am a whiney bitch, according to many people who have PMed me, and I can agree with that.

ok, first off, this quote is very true. don't come on here complaining that school is boring or you don't feel like you should have to do it. This summer I worked a job with a hillbilly named Royce. 60-some years old, no teeth (literally), smoked like a chimney, and making $6.35/hour. That's it. He had to support his wife and kids (don't ask, he has a young wife, i have no idea how) on $6.35/hour. Is that what you want to do? Is that what you want to be like? You might be saying to yourself "Come on, that'll never happen to me." Maybe so, but you have a far-greater chance of succeeding if you stay in school. I am a senior in college now, and I have no idea where the last 4 years went. I have 1 semester left, that's it. You sound like you're just a 'young pup'. it gets better, trust me. get your general education requirements out of the way and your core courses in your major. you know what those core courses are? a weeding-out process. yes, they're going to suck, but they're what separate the true majors from the wannabes (which are you?). then, your junior and senior year, you get to take electives. you know how much fun electives are? my friends are taking no classes in their majors and are taking crap classes like hula dancing and intro to music. the grass is greener on the other side, you just have to stick it out like everyone else in this world. be a man/woman, suck it up, and read "The Prisoner of Azkaban". It's dark, not like the other Harry Potter books. You might like it.

i, like you, went through a phase where i thought "what in the heck am i doing wasting my time studying for an invertebrate zoology class for? why am i not studying for my instrument written exam? why do i have to waste more time instead of following my dream?" think of the feeling of emptiness left by your incomplete degree. hang in there. the years will disappear and you'll be back here whining about not wanting to graduate.

Metro71 said:
Guess I'll have to take my wildlife issues and harry pothead and be glad it's not how to properly fold your turban and shoot AK-47s. Though that doesn't sound that bad, till you think about having to wipe your bum with camel hide and know you aren't getting laid until Allah says so, which is after you * martyr* yourself............

show some class, will you? yes, i agree, a few Muslims in this world are like that, but there are a TON of very respectable, intelligent, important, and selfless Muslims in the world. you are not doing their beliefs justice by making rediculous statements like this. it shows no respect to the majority of Muslims in the world who are not extremists, and show's ignorance and a lack of class. not only that, but the remarks are racist. grow up, and learn to think before you speak.

Here's a customer for you, Yip

Metro752 said:
College is boring, I learn new stuff, but it's not stuff I am interested in, and it sucks. Why do we have to keep on doing stuff we don't like if we could just do aviation only, and thats it. Do schools like ERAU make you take lame courses like "Contemporary Literature" with the likes of Michael Moore? I mean that is total garbage.
What is your major? If you're majoring in something in Arts and Sciences, you're bound to take a number of lame courses to fulfill the general education requirements. Even Riddle requires its Aero Science students to take a certain amount of humanities.

I was an Accounting major. When I was in school and college, I found a great amount of my classes to be boring. I couldn't understand why I had to know all that drivel they were pushing on me. I had to take a Marketing course that was an SOB, as was the (tenured) prof. I barely passed that course. Plenty failed it. I had to take a Statistics course that was also an SOB. I didn't understand half of it. I also had to take a Finite Math course that completely lost me. I barely got through it.

However, many years later, I realized the value of these courses in terms of being a well-rounded person. Of course, I cannot unring that bell, but I now wish I applied myself more. So, take it from someone who knows. Look at it from the long-term perspective as training to be well-rounded. Moreover, your four-year degree will help you pursue an aviation career.

Good luck with school.

mayday1 said:
vision & discipline for an education right now... well, it doesn't get any easier as you get older, and life gets more complicated. Get your degree now. If I had a dime for every 30 or 40 something-year-old back in school now, lamenting their decision not to get their degree when they were younger, I'd be rich.

there's nothing wrong at all with the service, but I wouldn't describe what you're doing as "wishing some of the best years of your life away." If you drop out now, I suspect sometime in the future you'll regret that decision. If you finish with your degree, you'll never regret it.

No matter what the industry or field, you can never go wrong with furthering your education. It will always serve you well.
I wasn't saying wait until you're 30 or 40 - wait 4-6 years until you're 23-25. I've seen so many people flunk out or get a degree in what they parents want them to get and wish they knew better. If you're going to get a degree in the blind, get a BBA or engineering. If money's all you want, go to med school or just skip school and start a business.

I do believe he and many others (me included) wish(ed) those fun years away wanting to finish school and get started on conquering the world. ENJOY it! Take 6 months and go see some of the world (AH!! Maybe let the NAVY pay your way!!!!!!!) I guarantee you, most 18-29 year olds have the invincibility, get it now mentality going very strong that pushes one to wish they were at the top of their mountain *right now*. I humbly suggest enjoying some of the climb. Just offereing an opinion from a perspective that has been there and looking back.

I didn't read all the post so if im a repeater, then im a repeater.

Yes, I went to Riddle and yes we had to do the literature classes, sciences, math etc.....

I had many lit classes, many sciences, chem etc.....calc, physics, etc.....
we also had our specific classes we all did that made up for the other stuff that was really the meat and potatos of education. Suck it up man, anyone on here with a degree had to do it.

right, many at age 18 think they're invincible.. that's the issue. Typically, they find themselves disillusioned or disenchanted when they find what the world has waiting for them.

one other consideration to keep in mind if you're delaying college 4-6 years... tuition rates at most schools rise each year typically on average 6-8%, sometimes more, but always seem to outpace inflation.

if money's no object, that's a non-issue.

Metro-
I hated some of my classes when I was in college (elementary logic, health, philosophy, biology...the list goes on and on). I worked my ass off in college and still had more than my share of fun, including being a bouncer at a night club on the weekends...so many ladies, so little time (I managed to make time though)...and got my B.S. in 3 years instead of 4. Even though you don't like classes that don't interest you, you have to find some sort of motivation to get you through it. Like my father always told me about crap classes - It's a means to an end, and it's all about attitude.

Good Luck

Propilot1983

I started in 1993. Did two years in engineering and realized I was wasting my mother's money. I did about a year at McDonald's making it to manager (best lessons I've ever recieved about life) while trying to figure out how to gain more dicipline. Did 4 years in the Navy (still an active reservist) then finished college last year.

Stick it out man. You may not see it now, but it will be the best thing you've ever done.

OK, all you college "supporters" will flame me for this, but I, for one, could not stay in college, either. And I don't regret it one iota. Not one. In fact, this thread reminds me of what a bunch of over-rated fluff it is - mostly. Yeah, if you wanna be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or some profession which requires all that training, go do it!...but there are LOTS, I mean LOTS of professions which do not require it.
Piloting is one. If you want to sit in a long metal tube for endless hours so high up you can't see the ground, and call that "flying", then you have to sit for long hours in a boring classroom learning fluff you'll never use and prepare yourself for a long wasted life trying to "run with the pack". Do what they do.

I tried to go to college while being a flight instructor in my younger years, only because the airlines and military required that "degree". Since I was flight instructing, I studied psychology with the idea that it would make me a better flight instructor. Also, if my flying career was ended for a medical or whatever, I thought being a psychologist would be interesting. After a couple of years, I realized the "training" I was getting was actually just what a bunch of "doctors" (Freud and that bunch) had made up (theorized) about the human mind, and at the end of this college trip, I would be deemed a "psychologist", but there was no actual scientific proof of any of this material. I saw it as a great hoax on the public.
And through my life, forty plus years of flying to live, and living to fly, I have seen too many college-educated people who have been hoaxed in the same way. A head full of "Fluff" which they think is actual knowledge.

Yeah, go ahead, flame me. I'm telling you how it is, not how I/we wish it were.

I have instructed all my life, and loved every minute of it. I wouldn't change a thing. Thousands of people know me as the guy who helped them change their life and pursue a dream.

I am not telling you to quit school and run out and just do the fun stuff, like flying, but I wanted to balance the board a little from almost everyone saying the same ol' tired thing: Stay in school no matter what. There are choices that don't "run with the pack."

I don't know you or your circumstances, your natural abilities, your hopes & dreams, so I can't advise you either way. I only can tell you that you are an individual who is unique to this world. If I had to advise you with no more information, I would default to staying in school, but that does not mean it would be right.
You are your own decision-maker.

~Nose

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back