• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Online degrees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No I meant to say. If I end up out of aviation I will pursue a degree in something else the traditional way. Just because aviation degrees do not go to far outside of aviation. I am real happy with my wrok so far at UVSC. I heard they my be getting a Masters program too. Has anyone else heard that to and if so in what? Would it be online I wonder?

Uvsc

I have not heard anything about a graduate program but it would be nice if they did offer one online. Don't worry so much about what your degree is in. Do you know how many people actually work in the field that they studied in college? In most cases, a company just wants to see that you have completed a degree.

Quick question about UVSC online degree. I was reading their website and it said that i could do all my flight training locally and all of the classroom stuff online. Now this program is for pilots right? What happens if a pilot is on the road for 2 weeks straight? He may have a laptop, but there's no way he'd be able to attend all of the classes.
Is it scheduled classes online? Or is it at your own pace online?

on the road and online

I believe that, when looking at a resume, any employer-- in aviation,or another field-- will appreciate the effort required to complete a degree, while maintaining an irregular work schedule. In any field an online degree is a clear sign that the applicant has made a determined effort to improve their skills. There are people on this list, who are familiar with the degree programs that are legitimate in aviation, their opinion is important.

I think you can always see where you are when compariing an online program to a traditional program. It is quite simple: Purchase the required textbook for the online program and then go to the bookstore at the traditional university close to you. Compare the textbooks used in similar courses on campus with those you are required to use. You may even find that buying the textbook from the other school expands and enhances the work you are required to do in your own program. After all, you are making an effort to become expert in your field, one more book might make the difference!

I am just beginning to pursue my own dream of flying. I hope you know my intentions in providing the information I have regarding online degrees was not intended to discourage anyone--merely to make you aware of the pitfalls.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Annie

Alin10123 said:
Quick question about UVSC online degree. I was reading their website and it said that i could do all my flight training locally and all of the classroom stuff online. Now this program is for pilots right? What happens if a pilot is on the road for 2 weeks straight? He may have a laptop, but there's no way he'd be able to attend all of the classes.
Is it scheduled classes online? Or is it at your own pace online?

Yes all the classes are online. From what I have found so far most of the classes are work at your own pace type. There may be some that have deadlines for certain things. I am just starting out in the program. However I have had friends go through and they said it was mostly self paced.

Annie

Annie,

I studied for two years at a major university and then transferred into an online degree program. I have found that employers actually think more of someone that has worked full time while completing a degree online.

You might want to try an online course sometime and maybe that will expand or enhance your way of thinking. The online program that I am finishing is with a university that has 25,000 students on the traditional campus and we all use the same textbook regardless of whether we are studying online or in a classroom.

The online students do not have the luxury of having the professor at their disposal and must often times learn the material on their own. Most professors and students will say that online courses can be more challenging because of the lack of student to professor communication.

I do not see the PITFALLS that you speak of. I would appreciate it if you did some more research before listing the pitfalls of an online education.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you. ABSOLUTELY. Employers do consider the effort involved in obtaining an online degree as being an indication of determination and sincere intent.

Have you read my post in the other thread? You will see there that I recommend to folks that they look into the adult education, or continuing education programs at the traditional university in their area, which is what you have done.

I am not a critic of student intent, I am concerned about how easy it is to have those good intentions be abused. My postings were not a criticism of online students, but rather an effort to make readers aware of the possible problems. I am also aware that many times in a traditional classroom on campus that the "world class expert", who is listed as the teacher for a particular class, will only show up for one lecture; the remainder of the class will be taught by a student intern.

It is because, I care so much about the effort that is demonstrated with online studies, and the concomitant vulnerability that I posted those articles. That is not to ignore the fact that anyone purusing a resume with an online degree will first ask of themselves--was this a legitimate effort in a legitimate program? It will always be up to the student to prove the affirtmative. On the other hand the folks in industry KNOW which are the good programs--either on campus, or off!!

Annie

I finished Utah Valley's Associate degree this past spring. Presently working
on the Bachelors. They'll give you credit for ratings up through your MEI. I
think it's about 16 hours total credit. You pay a smaller tuition fee, send in
a copy of your ticket, take an online test, and you're finished with those
classes.

By using that option, taking the maximum number of classes allowed, and taking
classes in the summer semesters, I finished the AS degree in one year.
Now that I'm in the BS program I've cut back to part time enrollment.

Classes thus far have all been self paced for the most part. They sometimes
have deadlines for projects or tests. Usually it amounts to all classwork
being in by the semester finals deadlines.

The professors have all been great, except for one that had the entire class
complaining about him.

From what I've gathered, it doesn't matter where you do
your flight training, but you may want to check with the aviation degree
counselors just to be sure. You can reach them at 888.901.7192.

Best regards

MrScary said:
I finished Utah Valley's Associate degree this past spring. Presently working
on the Bachelors. They'll give you credit for ratings up through your MEI. I
think it's about 16 hours total credit. You pay a smaller tuition fee, send in
a copy of your ticket, take an online test, and you're finished with those
classes.

By using that option, taking the maximum number of classes allowed, and taking
classes in the summer semesters, I finished the AS degree in one year.
Now that I'm in the BS program I've cut back to part time enrollment.

Classes thus far have all been self paced for the most part. They sometimes
have deadlines for projects or tests. Usually it amounts to all classwork
being in by the semester finals deadlines.

The professors have all been great, except for one that had the entire class
complaining about him.

From what I've gathered, it doesn't matter where you do
your flight training, but you may want to check with the aviation degree
counselors just to be sure. You can reach them at 888.901.7192.

Best regards

I should be ok with the school. The school that i'm in is actually enrolled in their program. So everything should be ok.

Latest resources

Back