• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Online Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would recommend UVU, but online classes in general can be a pain. Sometimes you have to spend more time learning how to navigate the course online than you do learning.

After this semester I will be a junior there.

Hey all,

I am working on my degree rite now at my local CC. I am looking at getting going at UVU for my BS. btw, ref the earlier post, Everglades is VERY expensive per credit hour. Almost 3 times more that UVU.

For those going thru UVU here in my? For the GenEd stuff can I keep doing those at my CC, i.e. biology, government etc? It will be alot cheaper for me. Then transfer them over. Or, should I talk with them first to see if they will accept them?

Thanks,

Avrat

I would recommend UVU, but online classes in general can be a pain. Sometimes you have to spend more time learning how to navigate the course online than you do learning.

After this semester I will be a junior there.

If you can fly a plane you should be able to to navigate your way around the courses. It is not that difficult if you put some time and effort into it. Th ehardest part will be actually teaching yourself the course material.

Just saw today that ERAU is going to start offering an online PhD in Aviation. True to form for them, they're charging over $60k for the privelage.

Why in the hell would you ever need a PhD in aviation? It's called work expereince, get some of that and generally speaking you will be good!

I just finished my semester at UVU; looks like either a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA this semester. I am still pretty happy with the overall experience.

Just saw today that ERAU is going to start offering an online PhD in Aviation. True to form for them, they're charging over $60k for the privelage.

Wow, if one is going to get a Phd and pay $60 grand, it ought to at least be in something useful!

On that note, I got my 4-year degree at UVU through a combination of online and on-campus classes (in fact, as I type this, I can see the UVU library looking out my front window.) There are some definite pros, and some definite cons to the UVU program:

Pros:
-Very economical, and since it's a state-run school, there's lots of financial aid available
-Online classes are, how shall I put this, not
academically challenging, so you could take a big course load and manage it, and because of the relative ease, it sets you up pretty well for a grad school program if that's your desire (which I do).
-Support staff is great, at least the guys/gals that I worked with (graduated '04)

Cons:
-It's a degree in aviation, which is about as useful as teats on a bull.
-Online classes are, how shall I put this, not academically challenging, so I sort of felt that I went through the whole program, jumped through the hoops, and graduated without actually learning anything. I mean, if a kid like me can make the deans list time after time, you know it's got to be easy. So in order to go to grad school, I have to do a bunch of "pre-core" type classes in math and science to get up to speed. People always said/acted like flying is a trade, and I never believed them. But they were right--it may not be pure "blue-collar," but it definitely isn't "white collar."

Anyway, that's my take. It's been a while since I've been through the degree program, so things may have changed. It worked for me... so no major complaints.

I would say that if you are bent on getting an online aviation degree, this would probably be the way to go. But why waste your time/money on an aviation degree, when there are plenty of other online degrees out there in majors that are more marketable?

-Goose

Goose,

I definately agree with you. I am taking online classes now and admit that I am just going thru the paces, I am learning some though. My intentions are to get my BS in Aviation, since that is all I know, so I have something to put on the resume. Once I have that done and I am not under a time crunch, I will work twords a degree in something for down the line. I do have to make the comment that fortunately my employer rite now has tuition reimbursement which adds some extra motivation to get this done asap.

How were the online classes thru UVU? Reason for asking is that I am looking for a school with some structure to the courses and not just a sylabus saying "read the book and take the test".

Looking forward to comments from all.

Avrat

Latest resources

Back