• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As for the cowboy boots..

They must be black..
They must be round,plain toe..
The must have a plain heel..
They cannot be of some strange creature..

Ropers seem to fit the bill without attracting too much attention from the tassel police..

This is of course for those that are above a three digit number..
Three digits or less you can do what ever you **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** well please..

Almost kidding..:eek:

:D
As President of the no-hat club at my little airline, this is great news. Besides, I'm tired of looking like some geek off the Love-Boat. Pilot uniforms were ripped off the maritime sailors and that's what we all look like. SWA rocks!

Hats?

Optional hats - way to go. I hate wearing them.

That said... a little background on why a uniform/hat in the first place.

The uniform sets you apart from the passengers and identifys you (for the benefit of the pax) as a crew member.

Why is this necesssary?

So in a time of need the pax can readily identify you as the person(s) to look to for guidance, information or just to save their a**.

Sea Story: I had to order an emergency evacuation. Once the 50 pax were assembled a safe distance from the jet I thought it appropriate to explain to them the circumstances.

I deliberately put my captains hat on as I approached them. At 5'9" tall (or short) I believe wearing the hat helped ID me for the pax as the one to look to for information.

Course that was one evacuation in 9500 hours. With the reliability of today's equipment (and the low probability of emergencies) maybe we can do without it.

Uniforms...

Speaking of uniforms...

FedEx is pretty nice in that respect as well, hats totally optional, and the 'airline jacket' is optional as well, leather jacket approved. That being said...

Why do we all (majors) just love white shirts??? Talk about the worst color to have around an aircraft (tar, oil, dirt, hyd fluid, etc...). Secondly, why the ties?? Last thing I want if i need to emergency ground egress is a ready made noose (around-the-neck ID holders work real well here too) to hang myself with as I get caught on something.

I know, I know, wear a clip on tie, and breakaway ID holder, which I do. But...the white shirts! I understand from some older heads that it was only a recent change..."To increase our professional look"...yea, whatever!

Were it up to me, I'd go to nice slacks and golf shirts in company colors. We're cargo dudes! We're so under the radar it's ridiculous. Most of the guys at my Military Reserve flying unit had no idea we lost a 727 a couple of months ago.

If I was completely in charge, I'd even go to a flight suit setup...they're so comfortable! :)

Boy, I need to stop after that 6th cup of coffee before noon....

Okay, I feel better now...rant over!

Fly Safe!

FastCargo

Union professional standards will tell you if we dress too casually, we'll eventually get paid casually.

It sounds silly, but he did have a point. If we want "white collar" wages, doesn't hurt to have a bit of a suit and tie appearance. It probably does lend a bit of credibility and authority when we deal with ramp agents and other company folks as well.

All that aside, here is a riddle I asked my buddies back when I was interviewing....
"I got hired by FedEx, JetBlue, and the Air National Guard. What do all three have in common?" A: Hats are optional at all 3!

Another great uniform 1-liner came from a civilian background captain I flew with last weekend. He wore the blue blazer, while the F/O and I both wore leather jackets. His comment was "he refuses to pay 300 bucks to join the SQUADRON!" That got me laughing as well. Glad we have options...

Enjoying my new Justin Ropers....

Uniforms...again...:)

Albie,

I do understand we airline pilots wear what we wear...just don't like it sometimes...:) Just...anything other than a white shirt! I had a hard enough time keeping a light blue shirt clean when I was a supply officer in the USAF.

Okay, no more uniform stuff...today!

FastCargo

I say Flight suits...like you Military guys wear...

KC-10 Driver:

I am glad you enjoyed my commentary, it's great to know people still laugh these days! I am also glad no DAL guys got bent out of shape over my "ribbing" their uniforms. (You're thinking, "Naw, people don't get bent out of shape in this forum!!!")

That said, when I used to fly gliders on the North Shore of Oahu, the standard uniform was a comfortable pair of shorts, a comfortable T-shirt, and whatever foot wear you wanted to wear. Most guys wore flip-flops, but I wore hiking boots. (If you ever had an off-field landing, the last thing you want to be trudging around in is a flimsy pair of flip-flops.)

I do agree, with AlbieF15, in that our uniform image says a lot about who we are on the labor-totem-pole. Most doctors still wear collared shirts and ties, and you'll certainly find J.D.s wearing suits to court... though that may be a dress requirement when appearing before a judge. I am not in favor of relaxing our uniform image too much, but I agree the hat can be optional without detracting from said image.

Okay, flame away!!

RightBettor

Entertaining and fun to read this post, but really, let's put it all in perspective. Hats are one thing, I agree because they can be a pain in the butt on the road, but dressing down the rest of the uniform? Those of us who have jobs, especially at the majors are in a pretty darn good position at the moment. I'm exactly where I want to be, love the company and the job. Sure, Ive got a thing or two I'd like addressed during the next contract just like everyone does at every airline, but the uniform isn't one of them. And think about all of our buddies out on the street...do we really have anything to complain about? We've all heard the non-pilot folks at every company (even the press has picked up on it lately) say how we are all overpaid and under worked, conceited and vain. If you want to add fuel to their fire and give management some ammo, just start bitching about having to wear a uniform! ha ha. I know this post is pretty much all in good fun, but it comes with the territory in my opinion and doesn't bother me. When I look at my paycheck and think about my future earnings potential, I figure I'll wear just about anything they ask me to (except that "brown" uniform, of course) :)

Last edited:
No more helmet, eh?

I love the leather jacket but draw the line at leather pants.

Latest resources

Back