• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

On NPR - What makes a good airline pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where's the conservative voice as a counterpoint? There isn't one.

This was just on Diane Rehm today. It was a pretty good show.
Leadership and Future of the GOP

Republican National Committee Chair Michael Steele traded barbs with talk show host Rush Limbaugh. The latest on who is leading the GOP and internal strife within the party.
Guests

David Keene, chairman of the American Conservative Union and managing associate with Carmen Group, a D.C.-based governmental-affairs firm

Byron York, chief political correspondent, "Washington Examiner" and author of "The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy"

David Frum, is a resident fellow, American Enterprise Institute; author of "Comeback: Conservatism That Can Win Again", and co-author of "An End to Evil: What's Next in the War on Terror;" former speechwriter and special assistant to President George W. Bush (2001-02).

Richard Viguerie, author of "Conservatives Betrayed: How George W. Bush and Other Big Government Republicans Hijacked the Conservative Cause."

Saul Anuzis, is former chairman of the Michigan Republican Party. He was a recent candidate for the National Republican National Committee chair and serves as co-anchor of the RNC transition team. He regularly contributes to conservative blogs.

My other problem with NPR is they slurp at the public trough and without public funding they would be gone tomorrow. If they are so good why aren't they commercially viable?

From Wiki: About 2% of NPR's funding comes from bidding on government grants and programs, chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; the remainder comes from member station dues, foundation grants, and corporate underwriting.

That was $2.4M in 2005.

Click and Clack do rule.

Your reply Caveman? I would suspect that NPR isn't commecially viable like the EIB, because they aren't entertainment.......

also from the wiki page....

'63% of NPR experts from think tanks came from right-leaning organizations while only 37% came from left-leaning organizations'

Your reply Caveman? I would suspect that NPR isn't commecially viable like the EIB, because they aren't entertainment.......

Unintentional understatement of 2009 award nomination above!

They ain't entertainment, they ain't factually honest, they ain't able to survive in the marketplace without artificial public graft, & they ain't fair nor balanced.

They are simply feel good liberal propogandists of the highest order. I bet it is as much "fun" to listen to as Goebel's greatest hits. Sieg Heil beeotches!

They ain't entertainment, they ain't factually honest, they ain't able to survive in the marketplace without artificial public graft, & they ain't fair nor balanced.

They are simply feel good liberal propogandists of the highest order. I bet it is as much "fun" to listen to as Goebel's greatest hits. Sieg Heil beeotches!

NPR has way more intergrity than Rush's program by a mile. I happen to enjoy most of thier programming and find it for the most part fair and factual with lots of educational programming. It's not for those with short attention spans like the Rush listeners who need his verbal sugar fix and an aggressive speaker. NPR is quite tranquil, well spoken and educational in comparison.

The government should not be funding broadcasting no matter how little. This includes everything but AFN.

There two ways to determine the polical bent of a broadcasting or print medium. One, the stories they chose to report, and two, how they report them.

Unfortunately, they all seem to recycle each others' stories. We never get anything new and it's always blown out of proportion.

The government should not be funding broadcasting no matter how little. This includes everything but AFN.

There two ways to determine the polical bent of a broadcasting or print medium. One, the stories they chose to report, and two, how they report them.

Unfortunately, they all seem to recycle each others' stories. We never get anything new and it's always blown out of proportion.

The government should absolutely fund public broadcasting.......even more so than they are now. Even though public broadcasting is underwritten and funded partially by endowments, it is still far more free of commercial influence than for-profit broadcasting. News isn't news unless it is completely free from the constraints of profit motive, period.

I listen to NPR frequently so I can get an idea as to what the liberal elite are thinking. They are hardly paragons of neutrality. It isn't a politically neutral news organization and it definitely has a clear agenda. Juan Williams, Diane Reem, Cokie Roberts and Daniel Shore, etc are hardly moderates. Even though I generally enjoy the discussion on Reems show it definitely has a liberal slant. Shore is a senile idiot. Everybody raves about Lehrer too and while I like the guy he is also definitely left of center. Where's the conservative voice as a counterpoint? There isn't one. Just because the commentators are literate and usually civil doesn't make them neutral.

You're wrong. Cokie Roberts is very conservative. Although, I can see how she would be considered a liberal by right wing extremists.

My other problem with NPR is they slurp at the public trough and without public funding they would be gone tomorrow. If they are so good why aren't they commercially viable?

Total horse$hit......both of you.

A, only 2 to 3% of NPR's funding comes from tax dollars. The majority of funding comes through foundation grants, corporate underwriting and member station dues (that comes from listener support.)

B. Commercial viability has absolutely nothing to do with sound and objective news reporting. Fox News has proven that time and again.

As for the rest of you, sure, there are some slightly liberal show hosts that get airtime on NPR. However, NPR is, by far, the most objective vehicle for broadcast news in the USA.

Last edited:
As for the rest of you, sure, there are some slightly liberal show hosts that get airtime on NPR. However, NPR is, by far, the most objective vehicle for broadcast news in the USA.

You are assuming people want an objective vehicle for news in the USA.

Latest resources

Back