• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OK, who's got the gouge and the guts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We do try to have a diverse group of pilots, but not at the expense of safety. This is the way we did our hiring process. We certainly took a very diverse group of individuals and brought them in to the interview. After the interview process we hired the best qualified individual. I do not have the exact stats on the new hires, since I was not on the hiring committee and I have met only 2 or 3 of the individuals. At the interview, it really does not matter what gender, race, background or any other diverse qualification. What matters is the person qualified and can do the job, and can that person fit into this unique organization. Doesn't matter if you have 2000TT or 10000TT.

This sounds to me like, "we interviewed a good cross-section of minorities, but in the end, for safety, we hired 10 white guys". I could be 100% wrong since I know next to nothing about the corporate culture at Walmart, but the vague and round-about answers you give are just as bad as not replying at all!

Now I am curious about this upgrade thing. This may or may not be what timebuilder is asking, but here's a try. -

Are pilots upgraded in the order in which they join the company, or are there inside tracks and personal agendas which affect the upgrade process?

Please don't answer that question with your "there's no way to know what will happen" speech, if you don't want to answer just don't reply.

Thank you in advance.

rubbernekk said:
Timebuilder,

How many job offers have you had with all your lear jet time? You seem to be in a position to pick choose and refuse. Or do you just have a personal hang-up about Wal-Mart?

I don't think anyone with 1,632 hours TT is in a position to "Pick, Choose and Refuse" any job offers. I think Timebuilder realizes that if he gets a job offer he'd best grab it quick... This is a buyers market right now.

I agree.

I have a problem, if you want to call it that, with the general unwillingness of pilots at the company to share much information about the operations or the management style. I'd like to know if a company is not interested in hiring another white male. If they are not, then they can save everyone a lot of time and trouble by owning up to it.

Other than that, I am perplexed at the lack of clear information which is readily available from other pilots at places like airnet, netjets, flight options, etc, but for some reason not available without a lot of home dentistry in the case of WalMart.

I am not able to pick and choose. Although I have a fair amount of expereince in the aircraft, I do not meet the TT requirement. If I had been able to find out that there WAS a TT requirement BEFORE I applied, then I would have waited until I met the requirement. Unfortunately, no one was forthcoming with the information until after the deadline for resumes in May.

Knowlege is power, and there sure is a lack of power in this discussion.

How sad.

Timebuilder said:
I have a problem...with the general unwillingness of pilots at the company to share much information.

The fact that noone is talking speaks volumes.

If you want first hand info, go to your local FBO and "talk" to the Walmart pilots. Perhaps they have a company policy against providing info on websites.

--How many people were brought on board?

--What were their ages?

--What were the numbers, by gender?

--How many had prior military flying experience?

--How many had prior corporate flying experience?

--How many had experience in Lears?

Gee whiz, you are asking for a whole lot of very specific HR information. I don't blame you for asking, but you should not be disappointed if pilots from Walmart (or any other company) are not able to provide that level of detail on a message board.

I don't know anything about working for Walmart, but at every company I've ever worked at it would be a big no-no for a line employee to go public with a lot of detailed HR information related to who is and isn't hired.

There is a large and growing pack of lawyers who are full time dedicated to the sole purpose of sueing Walmart for anything and everything. Walmart people need to be extra careful about speaking for their company out of channels.

We should be very grateful that some of the Walmart pilots were able to post at all.

Falcon Capt said:
I don't think anyone with 1,632 hours TT is in a position to "Pick, Choose and Refuse" any job offers. I think Timebuilder realizes that if he gets a job offer he'd best grab it quick... This is a buyers market right now.

Rubbernekk,

I didn't mean this as a slam against Timebuilder, I was saying that I think you are assuming that he is in a position to pick and choose, which he is not, certainly not in this job market.

Gee whiz, you are asking for a whole lot of very specific HR information. I don't blame you for asking, but you should not be disappointed if pilots from Walmart (or any other company) are not able to provide that level of detail on a message board.

I don't think we'll get our wish list of info, but going back to the post from a few months ago, this is what I would have said to help out my fellow pilots, were I an employee who was looking to get some resumes in to my HR deprtment:

" Hi there, folks. I work for WalMart, and we are looking for pilots to interview. We have lots of white male pilots and some PO'd minorities who like to sue us, so we have a problem. We need to interview a bunch of non-white men and some women to indemnify us against future lawsuits. You need 2,000 TT as a minimum. Lear experience is helpful, but if you are a minority female, we will go to great lengths to get you a job here. We've been going through chief pilots as if we were Coca Cola, and people have quit in disgust. Of course, everyone can send in a resume, but we won't interview you without 2,000 TT, and we are looking to hire some qualified minorities."

Then, I'd go on with the happy face stuff about being home a lot, how nice it is in Arkansas, and what a great company it is to work for, etc.

Now, to be truthful, I might not have been quite this blunt, but I would have been honest about what was the company's interest, and the kind of employee that best fit "our" needs.

This isn't an indictment of WalMart. I have worked for a company with 800 stores who hired a a very large percentage of entry level retail workers, and I have seen the litigious nature, along with the high incidence of theft and personal problems, including harassment, threats, and a bunch of other nonsense. It's hard to run a large company where most of your employees are not "professionals", in the conventional sense of the word.

This isn't based on any particular info, but I have friends who are involved with several corporate positions, and I know some important managers at several companies through the voice over work I have done for them. The "lawsuit lottery" is a big game in town, and the average person is always more of the "loser" than the company that is being sued.

I just think it's a shame that no one is willing to speak up and correct the rumors with a good dose of recent facts.

Last edited:
OK...

maybe the story should read:

- Large comapnies LIKE to try and make thier pilot groups look more diverse, it just makes sense today. YES, women and minorities have an upper hand when it comes to securing interviews etc.... Thats been the nature for years now, do yourself a favor....GET OVER IT.

Fighting the system will just make you bitter, which you will not be able to hide at YOUR next interview!

and please...like ANY company is going to share thier HR and Hiring info with you!:eek:

Maybe.

I persoanlly don't care if it shows at an interview. This is for a very novel reason: I want to be hired, after being equally qualified, for nothing more than the content of my character, just as was promised by the civil rights movement and the "women's movement".

Anything else is still discrimination, and should be opposed just as vigiliantly as any other kind.

If it is not, it discredits the entire idea of equality, and replaces it with acceptable discrimination.

So, if you want to discriminate, have the courtesy and the guts to say so, and I'll save you the fax paper.

Sure I like your points, they are, however, very irrelevent.

Just gotta play the game by the existing rules! Thats all you can do.

And Please, to think you have anything going against you in corporate aviation by being a white male (my guess..) is just plain crazy. White Males make up 99.9% of corp aviation, far more than the airlines.

Keep in mind, they know your name, age, etc when you get the interview (resume). Its not your gender or race that gets you the JOB, its your personality.

All I can suggest is let it go, adapt, and move on with a smile!

then again, I was never too good at advice!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back