• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oh, you gotta see this...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coincidentally enough, I just wound up having about a 30 minute conversation in an FBO with a guy who retired early from Delta 2 years ago and wanted to get back into GA. He referred to himself as a "born again pilot" and says that he's finally having fun again. His first job out of Delta was Airnet, he spent a couple months here and then moved onto a corporate job close to his home. He was saying that although he only spent a short time at Airnet, he was impressed with the operation in general and the training department in particular. He said he thought it was as good as any training he had recieved in his career and he thought it was on par with Delta.

The reason I bring this up here is that although flying pt 135 freight is an entry level job for most of us, that does not mean that it's all a bunch of cowboys flying around making up their own rules as they go. If a guy who had just spent 25 years at a legacy carrier can have a positive impression of the operation as a whole, it tells me that regardless of the bravado that we like to have when sitting around the FBO (or on flightinfo) telling lies like all pilots do, it's a safe operation and it's not entirely composed of misfits who only fly freight because it's the only place they can go.

All pilots like telling their tales of adventure, but we're a professional and safe operation and it was nice to have a seasoned professional recognize that. I think the stories of heroism and adventure are great, but there are unfortunately a bunch of people on this board and in real life who are on a short fuse and can't wait to jump on your back for making a slight exaggeration- that's why I'd rather keep the baiting such as the thunderstorm thread to more of a private forum like starcheck55 or in the FBO over coffee, there's no need to cultivate a negative reputation that we really don't deserve.

I'm not sure if they held him to the contract, I didn't think to ask until after I took off. $7,000 isn't really a prohibitive number though if a better job comes along. I wouldn't leave before my 1 year because I'm young and don't have the savings to just write that check right now, but I'm sure if I was older and retired from one job already I'd just write the check and go if there was a better job waiting for me.

The main thing is...look at that radar picture. I don't know anyone who would look at that and worry. It's all green! Two completely different scales of assessment between cargo guys and everyone else.

That's all I have.

FastestPA31Ever said:
The main thing is...look at that radar picture. I don't know anyone who would look at that and worry. It's all green! Two completely different scales of assessment between cargo guys and everyone else.

That's all I have.

Haha, oh totally, how bad could the thunderstorm really be? It's November, it's beein in the high 60s, that's not exactly a recipe for a killer storm. The other day when it was passing through the NY area there was only green, dark green and very very small areas of yellow. Flying along in heavy rain, no problem, when an airline crew starts doing their usual "can we turn xx degrees for weather," being NY they said "uh, nope, no way can you go that direction, you'll screw up the finals for about 45 different airports- I'll have to hold you till the weather clears to your liking," the pilot says "uh, ok" then keys the mike again in about 0.24 seconds and says "I'm not holding in this stuff, I'm declaring an emergency and turning to xx heading." Wonderful, I could just hear all the airports in the area going onto ground stop programs because there's some level 2 rain that nobody will fly through. I'm not advocating flying through heavy T-storms with a bunch of paying passengers onboard, or boxes for that matter, but give me a break- we can't fly in rain now?

Milehigh and nopax, I think you guys are right on. Nothing but respect for Starchkr on this site too - but I understand that you guys at AirNet have a pretty good operation. Unfortunately, in the world of 135 cargo, you're the exception as far as I can tell. There's about a handful of freight companies out there that don't suck, but I'm finding that the vast majority of mom 'n pop operators are marginally mediocre at best. And they give the rest of you guys a bad name, whether you like it or not. I'd like to come work with you guys, Ameriflight, or some other such outfit just because you stand out in the sea of trashy cargo operators out there. Don't F up your reputation as one of the more outstanding 135 operators, because that reputation may get you in the door when you go to your next interview. Know what I'm sayin'?

Milehigh...I agree that we don't need to cultivate a negative rep anywhere, but we already have it just from being a 135 cargo operation. We are looked down upon as soon as we say we fly freight, no matter who we say we fly for. Most of the people that look down upon us are the ones who have themselves NEVER flown freight because it is too far below them to even think of doing it. I am pretty sure that the ones i was baiting and screwing with in the thunderstorm thread are a few of those poeple, and no matter what we say about how safe the operation is (or any freight operation for that matter) they will still see up as trash because of our industry. Unfortunately these are the same people we will have to work with in the future when we move on, and they will still look down upon us then just because we flew freight at one time. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

SpatialD...Yes we are one of the exceptions to the 135 cargo industry. I know many out there that i just don't see how the FAA lets them keep operating. Yes they give us a bad name, but in all actuality, the bad name came from many many years ago when places like Airnet or Ameriflite didn't exist. The industry has always been filled with people who are willing to actually do things others are not, and because of that we got the rep. Still today, even though many of theose things have changed from the years past, we maintain the bad rep...and i can guarantee that we will keep it forever. As i said above to milehigh, it is because of the "i'm too good to fly freight," guys/gals that we get this rep. Until everyone begins to see that we are actually safe in what we do, they will continue to look down upon us.

Also, I really do not think that ribbing people on a thread is going to be detrimental to all of us...as i said, the ones who were offended are offended at everything everyone writes on here anyway...they see themselves as the gods of the aviation world, and will never change. If you don't see it their way you are scum, and should be removed from the industry.

starchkr said:
Milehigh...I agree that we don't need to cultivate a negative rep anywhere, but we already have it just from being a 135 cargo operation. We are looked down upon as soon as we say we fly freight, no matter who we say we fly for. Most of the people that look down upon us are the ones who have themselves NEVER flown freight because it is too far below them to even think of doing it. I am pretty sure that the ones i was baiting and screwing with in the thunderstorm thread are a few of those poeple, and no matter what we say about how safe the operation is (or any freight operation for that matter) they will still see up as trash because of our industry. Unfortunately these are the same people we will have to work with in the future when we move on, and they will still look down upon us then just because we flew freight at one time. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

SpatialD...Yes we are one of the exceptions to the 135 cargo industry. I know many out there that i just don't see how the FAA lets them keep operating. Yes they give us a bad name, but in all actuality, the bad name came from many many years ago when places like Airnet or Ameriflite didn't exist. The industry has always been filled with people who are willing to actually do things others are not, and because of that we got the rep. Still today, even though many of theose things have changed from the years past, we maintain the bad rep...and i can guarantee that we will keep it forever. As i said above to milehigh, it is because of the "i'm too good to fly freight," guys/gals that we get this rep. Until everyone begins to see that we are actually safe in what we do, they will continue to look down upon us.

Also, I really do not think that ribbing people on a thread is going to be detrimental to all of us...as i said, the ones who were offended are offended at everything everyone writes on here anyway...they see themselves as the gods of the aviation world, and will never change. If you don't see it their way you are scum, and should be removed from the industry.

Well said!!!!!

Now can everyone quit bashing each other's company. We are all in the same boat here, and my company is not better than yours, and yours is not better than mine.

Serenity now, floks.

Art V.

Latest resources

Back