Oh goody, it's tax time.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rip Vanwinkle

Hey. Fly for a 135 carrier. Live in domicile, rent my home, same company/domicile for the entire year. Basically I'm just a regular working slob as far as the uncle sam the tax man is concerned, right? Just take the standard deduction and cry in my beer, yes? Thanks for the time.

Try to find another pilot who is in the tax preparation business or an accountant who specializes in transportation workers. They would know the ins and outs of what we do and understand perdiem, ect. Check out crewtaxes.com. I'm thinking about using them this year.

I think for a 1040 and a schedule A (itemized deductions) he charges $135 for both federal and state.

So what are some common write-offs you guys use? One I can think of off-hand is writing off 80% of your cell phone bill. If the company calls you on that phone you can write it off.
Any money you spent towards "furthering your career". Any flight training, books, checkrides, etc., can be written off. Not sure how far you can go back if you failed to itemize in the years prior.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Another great tax guy is Dean Tax. www.deantax.com. He is in Arvada, Co phone 1-800-dean tax. He has a really great worksheet for pilots and flight attendants that lists all the deductions you can take. he is very reasonable, too!

Latest resources

Back