Official Expressjet Hiring Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

COEX-FO

Here is the official word from the company for all that are interested! With our new contract, XJT will be a great place to work.

--------
With the anticipated recall of all furloughed pilots by the end of January, 2004, Flight Operations is preparing to once again interview and hire pilots. This need is based on the recently announced recall of CAL pilots, the addition of 21 aircraft and increased flight hours for the year 2004. The exact number of new hires has yet to be determined but hiring should be rather constant throughout 2004.

Because of all the many changes in our organization and technology over the past 2 years, we are revamping the hiring process. We will do the first phase of pilot selection on the internet followed by the traditional written examinations and personal interviews at the Training Center. The first step for interested applicants is to log on to www.expressjet.com and select Job Opportunities. Once the applicant has this screen displayed, follow the prompts.

This initial portion of our hiring process will be administered by our vendor, PeopleScout. They will do the prescreening of applicants based on the criteria established by the Company. Applicants who pass the initial phase will be scheduled for a 1 day interview process in Houston. It is anticipated that the first interviews will begin in January. The initial flight hour minimum requirements are industry standard however, depending on the quality and response of the applicants, these standards may be revised
----

The expressjet questionaire:

The starting salary for an ExpressJet pilot is approximately $20,000 per year. Is this acceptable?
Yes
NO (What, no room for Hell, no)?

New-hire pilot training last from 60 to 90 days. ExpressJet provides a hotel room and per diem during this training. Pay starts when a new-hire pilot passes the initial proficiency check. Is this acceptable?
Yes
NO (Again, there is no provision to answer this strongly enough)

Certain circumstances may require you to lift, push, or pull equipment or baggage weighing up to 50 pounds. Can you meet this requirement?
YES (Yes: coincidentally that's the size of the weight I can lift to drop on your head when you folks insist in defecating on the industry in such a manner)
No

Last edited:
so should they keep an eye out for your resume there, avbug? :p

avbug said:
The expressjet questionaire:

The starting salary for an ExpressJet pilot is approximately $20,000 per year. Is this acceptable?
Yes
NO (What, no room for Hell, no)?

New-hire pilot training last from 60 to 90 days. ExpressJet provides a hotel room and per diem during this training. Pay starts when a new-hire pilot passes the initial proficiency check. Is this acceptable?
Yes
NO (Again, there is no provision to answer this strongly enough)

Certain circumstances may require you to lift, push, or pull equipment or baggage weighing up to 50 pounds. Can you meet this requirement?
YES (Yes: coincidentally that's the size of the weight I can lift to drop on your head when you folks insist in defecating on the industry in such a manner)
No
I agree with all of the above, but it seems to be the standard in the industry (at least with the regionals). So what is a guy to do?

...or apply, interview, get the job, upgrade in a few years, and with any luck move on to a major.

that's what i'm doing in january.

you can b*tch about the pay, but isn't the pay pretty much the same everywhere? why boycott x-jet when eagle is doing the same thing? just trying to get some details, avbug.

Come work at burger king. We won't pay you for the first 90 days; you can survive. We don't think enough of you to pay you for the first 90 days; you're not that important to us. We know you can get WIC and welfare, live on food stamps and get public assistance for the heat in your house, we don't need to pay you enough to survive. Besides, enough low time punk ass wannabe pinheads are willing to put up with our program that we don't ever need to raise this standard.

Doctor Yibbits, we welcome you to Memorial General. We anticipate you'll make a valuable addition to our staff. We're pleased to offer you the priestly sum of twenty grand for your professional services, and just to make sure you fit in, we'll let you sleep in the cloakroom for the first three months, and withold your pay.

A doctor wouldn't do it, a worker at burger king wouldn't do it...but you will. And you want me to tell you about it?

I had an opportunity to interview with XXXX once...a long time ago. They required new hires to pay for their training, unless they had a minimum amount of experience. I had enough experience that I wouldn't have to pay. When I arrived, it had never occured to me that they wouldn't pay during training. Someone mentioned this while we were waiting for the interview.

The interview was held across the bed in a motel room...didn't say good things about the company, at all. When the interview was over, the interviewer asked if I had any questions. I said yes, I understand you don't pay new hires during training. He said that was right, and asked if I had a problem with it. Why yes, I said. I certainly did. I stood, shook his hand, thanked him for his time, and caught the first flight home.

Twenty grand for the first year? Crikey. My child support payments are more than that.

or apply, interview, get the job, upgrade in a few years, and with any luck move on to a major.

Now that was comical.:D AA or UAL or maybee even DAL.? come on......I do like the ambitious attitude in this young buck but the fact is you will be making $hit and some change and most fast food workers make just as much. It is sad that our new hires are getting almost double what you will be "settling" for and these aircraft don't even require 2 pilots per type certificate.:D

3 5 0

but he!!, you will be Mr. airline pilot so guess pay does not matter...:D

avbug,

You went all the way to the interview, paid for a hotel room (presumably) and didn't know that they had PFT and didn't pay you during initial training? Why did you even send in the resume if you knew nothing about the company or the job?

By the way, I also declined to participate in the PFT programs that so many commuters offered in the 90's. It was criminal. Not paying for the first 90 days is criminal. And $20K a year is horrible. Unfortunately there are only two ways to change this:

1. All pilots stop applying for jobs at regionals.

2. Get hired at a regional and make changes from within.

Six years ago, pilots at Express paid $10,000 for the job, were unpaid for the first 60 to 90 days and then received about $15,000 for their first year pay. Oh, they paid for their hotel rooms during training as well. There have been dramatic improvements since due to the vigilance of the pilot group and there are dramatic improvements yet to come.

-minrest

Quote "It is sad that our new hires are getting almost double what you will be "settling" for and these aircraft don't even require 2 pilots per type certificate. "

So let me get this straight, an ERJ needs only one pilot?

Latest resources

Back