% of interviews get hired at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

commutair

Also think of buying type rating to get an interview, Did Anyone of you do this? is it good idea? thinking about hire power.

Opinions

To get an interview at this time SWA requires a 737 type. Anyone who applied prior to 1 Nov without a type will get a call for an interview even if they don't have a type but they won't be called until all the folks who have types are called (translation...a very long time). In terms of how many folks are waiting for an interview call....there are an awful lot but don't be discourage & here is why.

SWA has a pool of folks right now that will more than sufficiently fill the need for prospective new hires for this year. So will there be a lot of interviews this year? Probably at the earliest it would be mid-late '03 before interviews would start but one never knows. First in the interview pool, first out....so get your app in & then patiently wait. If you don't have a type, then you can't interview & one can definitely be assured they won't ever get hired by SWA.

Prospective hires in '04 are projected to in the 600 +- range. Consider the selection rate for SWA new hires from those interviewed has ranged anywhere from 1 out of 3 to 1 out of 10 in the past. Assuming the number is 1 out of 5 that equates to 3000 interviews who will need to be interviewed to get to these numbers. While we may have these number of applicants on file it is hard to determine the precise number but even if we do by putting your name in the pot you have a chance of being hired in the '04 timeframe. A long time away? Not in terms of what a 15/20/30 year career in the airline business equates to.

As for which type school. There are many out there. Some have filed Chapter 7 recently but the strong ones are still surviving & doing well. Just like the airline business the strongest ones are doing the right things to attract customers. Look at them all but don't use price to merely make your final decision. I did & while my training was adequate, it wasn't the best I could've received in hindsight. I do work at HPA right now & some will say I'm biased but I also have the advantage of having seen two type schools up close & personal, something most folks don't have the chance to do. Simply ask folks on here which they would choose but more importantly call & speak to the folks at the place, even to the point of asking to speak to students who are going through the training right now & get their opinion. Of course you won't know who you're talking too necessarily but you might get some insight into the quality of the program. PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck

Higher Power is a good place.

I was told last year 1 out of every 8 interviewed, is hired.

When i interviewed a total of two in my group were hired out of 20..

The two doofiest and least qualified (time and experience - wise) guys in my interview group of ten got the nod. OK, I was bitter, but now I'm glad that things worked out the way they did.

As best as I can tell, 3 of 10 in my group got hired. I think I've heard them say that they'll hire everyone or no one, depending oh how the interviews go. I don't think they ever have a set percentage or hard requirement not to hire x number of guys each round.

get the type for the right reasons ...

Don't waste your money if you are interested in SWA because your dream airline isn't hiring right now. Supposedly, SWA's hiring percentage is the lowest of the majors. My interview group was about 30%, and I know of several highly qualified sharp individuals who did not get hired. They are very protective of their corperate culture and the first line of defense of that culture is who they hire.

However, I also know several people who have been hired on their 2nd or third interview. So, if SWA is your dream airline, get the type, get interview prep, and don't quit until you get to DAL. Best of luck and I have never heard anything negative about HPA.

Latest resources

Back