Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

October 1, 2008.....A sad day in Commercial Avation.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cactusboy53

Today marks a new low in Commercial Aviation. Beginning today the New US Airways has furloughed 53 (I believe) pilots out of PHX and LAS. While that is indeed sad news, further troubling is that 45 (I believe) of that number were pilots hired at America West Airlines BEFORE the acquisition of the old US Air.

The next piece of this quagmire is that while the 45 AWA pilots go home today, there are a number of "third list" pilots (pilots hired AFTER the merger was complete and all furloughed US Air pilots had been recalled) that remain employed in PHL, DCA, LGA, CLT & BOS.

We AWA pilots believe this to be a violation of the Tentative Agreement between the company and both east and west pilot groups. The company's line is that they "are operating within their interpretation of the TA". USAPA (you remember, our new "union") policy of "date-of-hire" apparently does not apply in this circumstance. You will be happy to know that they continue to try to sue and fire as many AWA pilots as they possibly can.

I personally will keep ALL furloughed pilots at all airlines in my thoughts and prayers daily while we weather this economy and storm.

To Dave O'dell and "north of Dave", I give a special salute to you. You guys and gals are the best, and your skills and personalities will be sorely missed!!:cool:

Oh, BTW. You will be pleased to know that six (I believe) recalled furloughed (junior to O'dell) that chose to recall to the west side (MUCH better contract) mysteriously moved to the east (as they would have been furloughed. Apparently you can "recall" pilots on the east, even when you are furloughing at the same time.

Today marks a new low in Commercial Aviation. Beginning today the New US Airways has furloughed 53 (I believe) pilots out of PHX and LAS. While that is indeed sad news, further troubling is that 45 (I believe) of that number were pilots hired at America West Airlines BEFORE the acquisition of the old US Air.

The next piece of this quagmire is that while the 45 AWA pilots go home today, there are a number of "third list" pilots (pilots hired AFTER the merger was complete and all furloughed US Air pilots had been recalled) that remain employed in PHL, DCA, LGA, CLT & BOS.

We AWA pilots believe this to be a violation of the Tentative Agreement between the company and both east and west pilot groups. The company's line is that they "are operating within their interpretation of the TA". USAPA (you remember, our new "union") policy of "date-of-hire" apparently does not apply in this circumstance. You will be happy to know that they continue to try to sue and fire as many AWA pilots as they possibly can.

I personally will keep ALL furloughed pilots at all airlines in my thoughts and prayers daily while we weather this economy and storm.

To Dave O'dell and "north of Dave", I give a special salute to you. You guys and gals are the best, and your skills and personalities will be sorely missed!!:cool:

Oh, BTW. You will be pleased to know that six (I believe) recalled furloughed (junior to O'dell) that chose to recall to the west side (MUCH better contract) mysteriously moved to the east (as they would have been furloughed. Apparently you can "recall" pilots on the east, even when you are furloughing at the same time.

Had the west agreed to Date of Hire, this wouldn't have happened, BUT, DOH wasn't the way to go. However, neither was slotting with little or no protections.

Even the west should have just said no to the arbitration, knowing it would create problems for an airline that doesn't need any more issues. After seeing the uproar on the east, the west MEC should have realized this isn't going to work, and moved toward something better for both sides. But they didn't, and just sat there saying, "We're good with it".

That left the east with no choice but to use every option to fight this thing.

Both sides need to throw out the arbitration, and replace it with an even slotting, with protections for ALL. You should be protected for the assets your company brought to the table. The east guys/gals just want to keep what they had before, and the same for the west.

I have friends on the east being furloughed as well. All left fairly stable jobs to go to US Airways, only to get a furlough notice shortly after they were out of training.

Yes, I agree. Very sad day, when anyone loses their job.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all. Very tough time to be furloughed.

It wasn't long ago I was turning in my ID, etc to the CLT chief pilot on my last day after 15 years there.

It's tough to go home and tell your little girl that "Daddy isn't an airline pilot anymore".

Just want to make sure I have this right..
Notwithstanding all the union/merger issues at USAirways, are you saying that there are new hires (hired last year or whenever) that have NOT been furloughed while pilots from the original USAir and America West have been furloughed?

Motch

Correctamundo! Unbelievable eh? We're breaking new ground here at the NEW US Airways.

Just want to make sure I have this right..
Notwithstanding all the union/merger issues at USAirways, are you saying that there are new hires (hired last year or whenever) that have NOT been furloughed while pilots from the original USAir and America West have been furloughed?

Motch

Motch,

You've ALMOST got it right. There are NO original USAir pilots furloughed and there will not be unless the company announces another round. That's right. All the original US pilots who were recalled as a result of this merger are safe and sound.

There are currently about 60+/- pilots on the east who were hired in the last year who are still working. There have been, I believe 28 furloughs on the east so far, all of whom were hired in the last year. As of today, there are 45 America West pilots on the street, the most junior of whom was hired in early 05', and 54 more are going on 11/1. This will take the furloughs on the AWA side back to 11/04 hire dates. There are pilots on the east who are currently flying that were in the hiring pool at AWA when the merger occurred. I know because I helped some of them get the interview and coached them. Now, they'll be working while I hit the street. Nice, huh?

Last edited:
Unbelievable. This situation gets worse by the day. Parker must be proud...

I don't know about Doug Parker, but I know that USAPA President Steven Bradford thinks this is the way it should be.

Not quite the whole story

While the East and the West are for the sake of a common name, US Airways, they are operating under 2 separate contracts. The West has a seniority list and the East has theirs. The West side is loosing flying time so the furloughs are in inverse seniority on the West side. Consequently, the furloughs on the East are in inverse seniority on the East side. It is true, some of the furloughed West pilot were hired years ahead of the still working East pilots, by virtue of separate contracts, they will get furloughed before the East.
I hope that clears up the confusion.

Scabford Sucks

He took Mesa's place now, well, ok, they suck too...

Good luck westies (former AWE Dispatcher)

Why don't the East and West get together and work things out instead of going head to head and slowing killing their company in the process. I feel bad you are getting furloughed and for all who do get their walking papers (there is more wrong with the integrations and furloughs for both sides then can ever be made right at this point) but if the news about Airways is correct they are not doing very well and all this does is further destroy an airline that has been going through this since PSA and USAir and even before that. At what point does it not seem to make more sense to get it all down to one list (which would take care of this problem) and take on Parker so when I jump seat I do not have to look at his stupid face in that magazine anymore.

Just a thought from a guy who works for a company that pays me with culture which is cool until it is bill time.

Latest resources

Back