Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

October 1, 2008.....A sad day in Commercial Avation.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Parker has ruined everything HP built itself up to be. Thanks for ruining MY hometown airline Doug! That's all I have to say...

Why don't the East and West get together and work things out instead of going head to head and slowing killing their company in the process.

Because it has degraded to a scorched earth philosophy. No one WANTS to back down.

The right or wrong, the AWA guys were handed a lottery ticket, and now they're told they can't cash it in.

The US pilots have the majority, and feel they can muscle their way.

AWA guys CAN'T come off their position, because they swore they'd defend the award AND they'd be admitting what the US guys pulled worked.

The US guys won't back down now, because they're emboldened by their position.

An ugly situation. They ought to go back and read "The Guns of August".

Nu

Last edited:
Well guess who wins....the drunk, he gets lower wages and work rules. Once again I see this at jb (my employer) in which we have 2000 independent contractors were some got it great and others do not. I hope everyone can sit down and work this out for the long run. I always enjoy js on both sides East and West. Best of luck

No dog in this fight, but

What would have happened if this merger never happened?
Would both still be around?
Neither?
Just wondering...

What would have happened if this merger never happened?
Would both still be around?
Neither?
Just wondering...

You never know. AirTran pilots SWORE that the Midwest deal was DONE, as in final, locked up.

They "Tendered their stock! They're committed!", and were packing their bags for MKE.

It ain't over 'till it's over.

Nu

Last edited:
While the East and the West are for the sake of a common name, US Airways, they are operating under 2 separate contracts. The West has a seniority list and the East has theirs. The West side is loosing flying time so the furloughs are in inverse seniority on the West side. Consequently, the furloughs on the East are in inverse seniority on the East side. It is true, some of the furloughed West pilot were hired years ahead of the still working East pilots, by virtue of separate contracts, they will get furloughed before the East.
I hope that clears up the confusion.

Let's step back one, Cap. The NMB said that we were a single carrier and authorized a representation election based on that determination. What is single about it besides the name and the call sign? Operationally there are limitations that apply to one side, but not the other. Adminstratively the payrolls are from 2 different places. Management and training are split at many levels. And the abomination that is USAPA would not be able to assist inthe destruction of the west pilot's careers absent this determination and subsequent election.

Would the furloughs have occurred regardless of which union was at the helm? Perhaps, but the west pilots could have advocated on their own behalf instead of being forced to be towel boy for Bradford's junta.

If 40% of the pilots are looking at permanent destruction of their careers, they are either looking towards retirement or another carrier/career. No one on the west has a vested interest in seeing USAPA win it's little game of king of the hill of this turd.

USAPA - So wrong for so long.

Even the west should have just said no to the arbitration, knowing it would create problems for an airline that doesn't need any more issues.
Right. And if the arbitrator had decided to staple 2/3 of the West (aka DOH) you'd be advocating the East give it up in the name of unity? Gimme a break.
After seeing the uproar on the east, the west MEC should have realized this isn't going to work, and moved toward something better for both sides.
Ah, yes, that old strategy called "Blame the Victim". The West should've just done everything we could to appease the East. Right.
That left the east with no choice but to use every option to fight this thing.
Not true! They could've chosen the path of integrity and showed they understood that binding arbitration means binding. After all, if binding doesn't mean binding why go into arbitration at all? The West didn't know how Nicolau was going to rule.
Both sides need to throw out the arbitration,
The West has no representation! USAPA is run by the East for the East. The West has no authority to throw anything out even if we wanted to. The time for negotiation ended last April. Now there's only litigation and acrimony until the last day. Only one side can end the dispute. And they won't.
... and replace it with an even slotting, with protections for ALL.
Great idea. That's what Nicolau did. You have read the Nicolau Award, haven't you?
You should be protected for the assets your company brought to the table.
Agreed. Nicolau agreed as well.
The east guys/gals just want to keep what they had before, and the same for the west.
Oh, really? At the time of the merger the most junior FO at US Airways was like a 1988 hire. Why should the most junior East FO be made senior to West captains? Can you tell the difference between seniority and longevity? Hint: one has nothing to do with years of service.

all this does is further destroy an airline that has been going through this since PSA and USAir and even before that

I really believe the problem is the people of USAir - every employee group is bitter and caustic. Now not every employee meets that discription but as a whole the labor force does and its been that way for decades. This fight between east/ west is just whats on the table today. If west the rolled over and gave in on DOH something else would pop up for the employees to destroy the company over.

It's their inborn masochistic tendencies that I find most intriguing. They do all they can to destroy the airline, then give away everything in the name of saving the place they love to hate. Perhaps the next bankruptcy judge will hold an intervention as he closes the doors.

Latest resources

Back