• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Obama very bad for MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is unbelievable. First off, maybe you didn't notice but he is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. He can go where the hell he pleases. The TFR is there because of NATIONAL SERCURITY REASONS I believe that overrides Capt. I'm Special Joe Schmo pilot who thinks he is important and wants to fly in MDW. If you are inconvenienced than that is YOUR PROBLEM. Do like corporate operators(like the one I work for)have been doing for years and ADAPT AND OVERCOME. Don't come on here and cry on some message board because you believe they are putting TFRs up for $hits and giggles. I didn't hear you crying when all those TFRs went up after Sept 11th in the DC area. Do you know how many corporate outfits had to change the way they operated after Sept 11? You don't even have to deal with the TFR the whole year. And we wonder why the public looks at pilots like pre-maddonas. Obviously, atleast one of us thinks the leader of the freeworld should relocate because he can't operate out of MDW. Give me a break.

PS: And by the way with all the airports in that area why the hell would you want to operate out of that one?

Atlantic at mdw will have less than half the staff working when President Obama is in town. This is just an example of how mdw biz will SLOW. Not to mention the countless 91 and 135 operators that must "adapt and overcome" with already slim margins.

I think this was the original point of this thread but I cant remember anymore.

my point is gateway airports and lengthy goverment forms that take for ever to get is not going to cut it. we need some other plan that allows operations to continue at mdw while still retaining national security.

Last edited:
LASP might have been proposed under Bush, but the Obama Administration has to approve it following the moratorium on new regulations and policy that was issued during Obama's first days in office.

Now, go get your shinebox, c0cksmoker.

The shine box line never gets old.......LOL

Seriously, people need to calm down. Put all the politics aside because that's NOT what the issue is about. Like it or not the person that was elected to be the President of the United States has a home in Chicago. Honestly, what is he supposed to do; not go back there? Can someone just answer that question for me. If you guys think you have it bad just imagine if you live on that street. Can someone with a sound mind answer that question for me. It seems like some of you acting like this is the first time they have put a TFR where the President is located.

No, the POTUS TFR is not a new thing. What is somewhat new (at least within my experience) is having it regularly thrown over a major metropolitan airport on a regular basis. (Not including Clinton's haircut, and I don't mean the one he got in the oval office). Sure other presidents took time off, but let's face it - a TFR over Crawford, Little Rock, Kennebunkport, or even north of Santa Barbara doesn't have the same impact as one dropped over the top of Chicago.

Honestly, what is he supposed to do; not go back there?

I would think this great "man of the people" would recognize that his presence would have a significant (and not all positive) effect on the area he visits, and have his staff work with local officials (who granted, in this case are as corrupt as they come) to mitigate that impact. Unless of course, he's just another politician out for his own gain . . .

You're a former military pilot? . . .

LRvsH25B - I'm not former military, but I take exception to your comments and your attitiude. I also find you appearant diefication of Obama rather interesting given this quote from a different thread:

You should check your facts on the Obama plan and McCain as well. I think both of them are nitwits, but compared to what we have had the past few years, I expect either to be much better.

As someone else put it: We all get it, you're thrilled that Obama is in office now. Goody for you. Not everyone shares your enthusiasm - give it a rest.

. . . the In Your Face approach you take is not doing you any favors. Your fellow pilots would be more receptive to what you have to say if you found a more tactful way to get your point across.

I actually took the time to review some of your previous posts, as based on your comments in this thread I was ready to put you on my ignore list and suggest the moderators ban you. Obviously, I have tempered that opinion. You have some good thoughts to share, but when you start spewing this vitriolic garbage, it negates the positive.

I was in MDW the other day. I asked the CSR at the FBO what they thought about the situation. They don't blame The President. He isn't doing anything that any other President before him didn't do, he just lives 8 miles from a busy airport in a big city. Reagan and Bush I didn't. Clinton had no home, Bush II lived in the middle of nowhere. The same for Carter.

They said the whole mess is the result of the Secret Service, and their requirements. The FBO will lose money. It is an aggravation for customers and tenants (the TSA screening process can take over an hour to depart MDW). Even Oprah had to change her flying schedule that weekend.

What can you do?

I would think this great "man of the people" would recognize that his presence would have a significant (and not all positive) effect on the area he visits, and have his staff work with local officials (who granted, in this case are as corrupt as they come) to mitigate that impact. Unless of course, he's just another politician out for his own gain . . .

You are missing the point because you are trying to make it a political matter. This has NOTHING to do with politics. You don't like him. That's your right but he has a home there. You would never ask any other president to do this

Yes, I was being politically sarcastic - and I'm not an enthusiastic supporter. That aside, frankly I don't think he (or any other president) needs to go home on a "vacation" or whatever else you want to call it every month and a half. So actually, yes I would ask that of any other president.

They want the job - go to work and do it. I didn't agree with Bush going to Crawford all the time either - one big difference is (as I already said), there is very little impact to shutting down the airspace over Crawford, TX. There is a huge impact to doing the same thing over Chicago. I would expect him (or any other president) to recognize the impact their travels have, and where possible/appropriate attempt to mitigate that impact. For example, I would expect him not to shut down LAX for hours getting a haircut.

I'm not saying they should never visit home, but come on - it isn't like the wife and kids are still at home and dad's been overseas for six months or a year. I think they could stay on the job for at least six months before taking a "vacation" - there is Camp David if he wants a weekend away. Miss the folks at home? Send the 757 to MDW, load 'em up and take them to DCA for a weekend BBQ or whatever (and save the taxpayers $$$ in the process). Sorry, I think it's kind of like the old saw about a dog licking himself - he does it because he can (and again, I apply that across all party lines).

Last edited:
Boss Daley always wanted his own, permanent TFR since Mickey and Minny got theirs. Now he's got a buddy in the DC...better REALLY watch what you wish for.

This was from a helo 135 operator in the area: in order to compete for the Olympics, he has to build a series of heliports around Chicago. All of that could have been avoided if Meigs was still around.

Touche'.

I did concede in a previous post that there is probably no more corrupt municipal government in the United States than that of the Chicago (aka Daleygrad), in the PRI (Peoples Republic of Illinois).

Latest resources

Back