Obama very bad for MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One reason why Presidents need their..."stuff"

Obama's in Chicago or Bush is in Crawford, take your pick...

NORAD (or its successor - I'm not military, but I suspect someone's doing much the same thing) detects a missile launch from central Asia - southern Russia or Iran. If they're headed to the US, the president has - ballpark - 20 minutes to decide what to do. The "Football" (actually a brief case-looking thing) in the possession of a US military officer (Air Force, I believe) containing the nation's nuclear launch codes who is either IN BO's home in Hyde Park, Chicago or right next door or, in W's case, probably a guest-house type build at his ranch in Crawford.

BO's or W's Secret Service close detail is notified that it's possible they may have to move the President. In Hyde Park, the cars are warmed up, I have no idea where Marine One might be - nearby somewhere? In Crawford, Marine One is warmed up on its pad built just after W became President because there was room to build it.

NORAD determines there could be a threat to the US based upon initial trajectory. USSS decides to get the President moved to the place where he can be safest while still in communication if there is, indeed, an attack on the US occurring: Air Force 1.

This, ultimately, is the end game and, although they don't say so, it's why when the President goes ANYWHERE it's such a production. Safety first, but the end game is the real reason.

20 minutes.

Think about it before you start your whining.

Last edited:
He's just another man that can be replaced if the unfortunate event of him being killed were to happen. It's not like the country would fall apart if the president were to die, thats the reason there is a vice president. With that being said I wish death on noone just stating that this is frustrating living in Chicago and not being able to fly. Obama is ruining my game with a girl right now. I had plans to fly a girl to dinner tonight but that of course will need to be replanned. Thanks Obama now I need to find a new way to get in her pants ugh. lol

Obama's in Chicago or Bush is in Crawford, take your pick...

NORAD (or its successor - I'm not military, but I suspect someone's doing much the same thing) detects a missile launch from central Asia - southern Russia or Iran. If they're headed to the US, the president has - ballpark - 20 minutes to decide what to do. The "Football" (actually a brief case-looking thing) in the possession of a US military officer (Air Force, I believe) containing the nation's nuclear launch codes who is either IN BO's home in Hyde Park, Chicago or right next door or, in W's case, probably a guest-house type build at his ranch in Crawford.

BO's or W's Secret Service close detail is notified that it's possible they may have to move the President. In Hyde Park, the cars are warmed up, I have no idea where Marine One might be - nearby somewhere? In Crawford, Marine One is warmed up on its pad built just after W became President because there was room to build it.

NORAD determines there could be a threat to the US based upon initial trajectory. USSS decides to get the President moved to the place where he can be safest while still in communication if there is, indeed, an attack on the US occurring: Air Force 1.

This, ultimately, is the end game and, although they don't say so, it's why when the President goes ANYWHERE it's such a production. Safety first, but the end game is the real reason.

20 minutes.

Think about it before you start your whining.

That would be interesting since Iran still does not have a missle capable of striking the Continental US, and the flight time from southeast Asia to the US is closer to 35-40 minutes. Which is also the reason for the "Star Wars" program.

ANd while his visit will not create any jobs directly, a large number of employees will get overtime. THat puts money in people's pockets.

What about the FBO's, flight schools that will sit idle during his business? Will those employees still be getting paid? How about the restaurants and hotels nearby that cater to many corporate pilots? Millions of dollars of lost revenue will be suffered by Atlantic, Signature, Million Air, etc over the next 4 years....

Hmmm......

Timmay - OK, we'll assume you're correct - 35 - 40 minutes (you're not, by the way, but for now we'll take your time), how will those 15 or 20 minutes change where/what the USSS is going to do with Obama and/or the positioning of AF1 of Marine 1, if it's around?

How do YOU know whether Iran has an ICBM or not? It wasn't the point of the post - apparently the entire point of the post was lost on you - that it's not about all about Obama's safety and it's unfortunate that the general aviation community is inconvenienced, but it's about the President being able to get to AF1 and command US forces in the event of an unexpected ICBM attack on the country. Southern Asia would be southern Russia, for example, not southeast Asia - no one has ICBMs in southeast Asia.

Fly safe

Timmay - OK, we'll assume you're correct - 35 - 40 minutes (you're not, by the way, but for now we'll take your time), how will those 15 or 20 minutes change where/what the USSS is going to do with Obama and/or the positioning of AF1 of Marine 1, if it's around?

How do YOU know whether Iran has an ICBM or not? It wasn't the point of the post - apparently the entire point of the post was lost on you - that it's not about all about Obama's safety and it's unfortunate that the general aviation community is inconvenienced, but it's about the President being able to get to AF1 and command US forces in the event of an unexpected ICBM attack on the country. Southern Asia would be southern Russia, for example, not southeast Asia - no one has ICBMs in southeast Asia.

Fly safe

I understood what you were getting at however I think you missed my point. Lets say that you were correct, that it takes 20 minutes from launch of an ICBM to impact in Chicago. As you said the threat would have to be confirmed, go up the chain of command, make its way to the SS, and then get the Prez to AF1. I would bet that process would take 15 minutes minimum. Now according to you that leaves 5 minutes at best to get airborne and away from the shock wave of the nuclear blast. Would you risk putting the most important man in the world in the air 15 miles from ground zero of a nuke?

The point myself and others have made is flying two 747-200s, a C17 and all the other stuff that goes into flying the President to vacation once a month might be a little overkill. However, a trip to Europe is a different story.
Also google ICBM flight times it gives the three stages of flight, times, and payloads of every missle that every country in the world uses, and besides it on the internet so it must be true:)

I just want to know why he gets a vacation every month and a half? These clowns spend millions upon millions trying to get the damn job, let them work at least a year before they get time off like the rest of us poor slobs. Once again, there is no limit to the amount of hypocrisy which spews forth from our elected morons (this is a non-partisan statement, by and large they're all crooks).

from AIN:

Presidential TFR Disrupts Chicago Airspace
More than 20 Chicagoland airports experienced significant operational disruption as a result of the presidential temporary flight restriction (TFR) imposed over the past weekend. The TFR centered on downtown Chicago, in close proximity to President Obama’s residence immediately to the south, and extended out as far as 30 miles up to 18,000 feet. Aside from the air traffic freeze during Obama’s Saturday arrival and Monday departure, the TFR’s tight control over aircraft operations played havoc with Chicago airspace over the full weekend. Part 121, 125 and 135 operators in compliance with the TSA’s Standard Security Program (SSP) had access to both O’Hare and Midway Airports. General aviation and business aircraft not on an SSP were required to land at gateway airports in Rockford (RFD), Peoria (PIA) or South Bend (SBN) to be vetted by the TSA before being allowed to proceed to either ORD or MDW. Aircraft flying to any of the other airports within the TFR were required to receive and adhere to a clearance to enter the airspace. The TFR also cut deeply into revenue for FBOs, flight schools, banner-towing operations and others. If Obama adheres to his plan to visit his Chicago residence at least once every six weeks, similar TFRs will be enforced about 34 more times throughout his first term.

Latest resources

Back