• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Obama shakes hands

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're missing the point. No one has ever claimed that it's impossible to be a good leader without being in the service. I do think that federally elected officials should have served. I don't care how. If they were a 4 star general- great. If they did a minimum 3 year tour and never got promoted above E-2- that's fine with me.

I don't care if someone was a lowly private, airman or sailor that lead abolutely nothing for their entire 3 year enlistment. Even if they hated every minute of their service. The point is that they served. Will that make them a better politician? Maybe. Maybe not. Regardless, they understand what it means to serve and their service will profoundly impact their decision making process while in elected office.

I beg to disagree!

You're missing the point. No one has ever claimed that it's impossible to be a good leader without being in the service. I do think that federally elected officials should have served. I don't care how. If they were a 4 star general- great. If they did a minimum 3 year tour and never got promoted above E-2- that's fine with me.

I don't care if someone was a lowly private, airman or sailor that lead abolutely nothing for their entire 3 year enlistment. Even if they hated every minute of their service. The point is that they served. Will that make them a better politician? Maybe. Maybe not. Regardless, they understand what it means to serve and their service will profoundly impact their decision making process while in elected office.

Spot On!!

You should remember that Bush sr is the one who cut the budget in 1992! Not clinton..he wasnt even president yet. Then again, some listen to whatever limbaugh says!

You should remember that Bush sr is the one who cut the budget in 1992! Not clinton..he wasnt even president yet. Then again, some listen to whatever limbaugh says!
I know facts scare you but clinton cut the budget MORE and THEN INCREASED deployments 300-400%.

Here's a little clinton tid bit: he (billy) said that IFOR would be out of Bosnia by Christmas. Well, the way he did that was to rename it S-FOR (stabilization forces) and have the soldiers paint an 'S' over the 'I'. Same soldiers, same equipment, same mission. The only change was the clintonites (media) praising him for fulfilling a military promise - HA!

There are many more stories about the impact of the clintons on the military but you don't want those facts do you? No worry, just 'Man Up' & grab your nuggets join up and serve and relive the early 90's.

One of the few intelligent responses on here. There's nothing wrong with Obama, most likely surprised at how young the Marine looked, shaking his hands and saying a few words of encouragement. It's a nice gesture.

He needs to "act like he is"? He shook a young Marine's hand and you're telling me that's un-presidential? That's your politics speaking.

What some of you need to come to terms with is not every president has, or will have military experience. This is the case in many countries around the world. Look at what we just had the past 8 years. A president with military experience who couldn't successfully invade Castaway Island if his life depended on it.

They always let you out of the facility sans helmet?

He needs to look like he supports the military before he slashes the budget.
Yes, I AM that cynical.
Make no mistake. This guys is not a friend of the military. In this case, it's 1992 redux.

That's the most hopefulthing I've read in a while. Give me those 90's again. What a decade. Oh, does he get credit for elimanating "stop loss"?

Latest resources

Back