• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

O MY GOD, Check out this TAF

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's all ICAO standard stuff. Same concepts as what we use here in the US, different names. Go ICAO!
Roughly: QFE=absolute alt, QNH=true alt, QFF=density alt, QNE=pressure alt.
Cut and pasted from the web:

PRESSURE SETTING DEFINITIONS

• QFE:
    The pressure corrected to the official airfield elevation. An altimeter set to the particular airfield QFE reads zero when an aircraft is on the ground (strictly the height of the altimeter above the ground). In the circuit, the height indicated is the height above official airfield datum.
  • QNH:
    The pressure 'reduced' to mean sea level, assuming ISA temperature profile from the station/airfield to MSL. An altimeter set to the airfield QNH reads the elevation of the airfield when on the ground.
  • QFF:
    Barometric pressure 'reduced' to mean sea level, assuming an isothermal atmosphere from the airfield/station to MSL, using current (screen) temperatures. The difference between QFF and QNH can be considerable when atmospheric conditions are significantly different from ISA: i.e. at 'hot and high' airfields.
  • QNE:
    When the ISA mean sea level standard pressure of 1013.2 hPa is set on an aircraft altimeter subscale, the height so indicated upon landing at an airfield is known as the QNE reading. More widely, this is also the PRESSURE ALTITUDE, which is alternatively defined as the height of any level in the international standard atmosphere (ISA-see above), above the level corresponding to a pressure of 1013.2 hPa.

According to the NOAA it is the end of the world.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WATCH IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.

I think the worst part will be the flooding of the above ground graveyards or whatever they call them down there. Can't bury caskets in the ground since they're below sea level anyway. The water is just going to wash away all these above-ground caskets. Wouldn't want to be around to see (or smell) that when they break open!

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
I think the worst part will be the flooding of the above ground graveyards or whatever they call them down there. Can't bury caskets in the ground since they're below sea level anyway. The water is just going to wash away all these above-ground caskets. Wouldn't want to be around to see (or smell) that when they break open!

Could lead to a lot of disease in the area.

BECMG 1516 120145G175KT

Wow. My prayers for the estimated 30,000 - 40,000 in the SuperDome. I hope that sucker's roof doesn't fail.

I guess all everyone can do is pray for those people down there... And lets hope the dome holds up, if it's going to be as bad as predicted, that stadiums is their last hope... God Bless

TAF reminds me of my days in Vero Beach, FL. We kept on reading the TAF and metar (until the asos blew away) throughout the 2 days leading to Frances and Jean. (Cat 2 and 3.) Wether forcasts kept on getting more and more crazy as the storm approached.
Catagory 2 and 3 were pretty rough. The roof came off one of the dorms and the hangars at the vero beach airport were badly damaged. The piper factory was out of action for ages. We had no power or water! for a long time. It had a huge impact on the community. I feel pretty bad for those people.
'Course listening to the Scorpions "Hurricane" and drinking the last of the booze that was left at Walmart was pretty fun.

My wife and her family are from NO, they lost everything in Betsy in 1965..there house was on desire street...it was 5 feet on stilts and was 2 stories tall...the water level IN the house left a water ring 9 feet up the side of the house..making the water 13+' high..above the street level!!

Needless to say they lost everything....the leeves are 15' above sea level, the city streets are 12' below sealevel.... The lake is expecting a 20 to 28' high storm surge, when the eye passes the lake, the wind will switch from the north and west thus blowing all that water in the lake southward back over the leevies in to the city....bad news....

We have family that lives there and they called from I-10 have been on the road for 13 hours having just passed Mobile heading here to Florida...God Bless these folks, I hope they have something to return too...

Latest resources

Back