O MY GOD, Check out this TAF

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
QNH is the 'european' or 'military' or WHATEVER term they use to refer to the altimeter. You don't hear people in europe say "altimeter please". They say "Q-N-H please."

Basically its 26.68 inches of merc. In europe they use Millibars.
QNH is the altimeter setting we commonly use in the United States when below the Transition Level (search for related thread), that is, below FL180. When the QNH is set in the Kollsman window, the altimeter will read height above mean sea level. In other words, when sitting on the ground at Airport X with the QNH in the window, the altimeter should read field elevation. When at sea level, the altimeter should read zero.

QNH

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

QNH is a Q code used by pilots, air traffic control (ATC) and low frequency weather beacons to refer to the barometric altimeter setting which will cause the altimeter to read altitude above mean sea level within a certain defined region. This region may be fairly widespread, or apply only to the airfield for which the QNH was given. In the latter case, an altimeter calibrated to the QNH will read the runway elevation above sea level on landing. The lowest forecast value of QNH for an altimeter setting region is called the "regional pressure setting" and may be used to ensure safe terrain separation when cruising at lower altitudes. A mnemonic for the code is "Query Newlyn Harbour". Newlyn Harbour is home to the Newlyn Tidal Observatory which is a reference for Mean Sea Level. Another mnemonic sometimes used is "Q - Not Here" meaning it refers to the pressure setting that applies away from the airfield. This is to distinguish it from QFE, which novices sometimes confuse.

What's a Q code, you may ask? During the Second World War, a three-letter code, known as the Q code because each element began with the letter Q, was used to transmit radio signals between aircraft and air traffic control in Morse. Some of these codes are still in use today, even though the reason why particular letters were selected is no longer known - if there even was a reason in the first place.

What's the point of making that forecast? I guess someone wanted to make "the forecast of a lifetime" to tell their grandkids about someday. I guess it's required just in case someone needed that forecast to help make their go/no go decision for that VFR sight seeing flight around the area.

And then I think to myself, "It's the government stupid...."

BTW, that whole NOAA thing is just morbid. My FO was reading that to me tonight after our trip via his cell phone. Really does sound like the end of the world. Well I guess we're about to see what a 200 mile wide tornado would look like.

Also is it me or does the media seem like vultures circling a doomed animal just waiting to swoop in to pick apart the pieces. This is gonna be bad, real bad.

viper548 said:
Could lead to a lot of disease in the area.

The caskets are the least of their worries...the backed up sewage will be the major contributor to disease. Fresh drinking water will be very difficult to come by. This is catastophic.

The western side of the storm has collapsed due to dry air entrainment and the storm central pressure is rising. Yes, still extremely damaging winds and lots of flooding, but I doubt this will be the "thousands dead end of the world scenario" that people were thinking about last night.

agreed. I don't know how many times the news pukes said catasphopic last night. When I went to sleep it was a cat 5 160 sustained winds, now im hearing its around 140 cat 4. Its getting weaker. Still nasty, very nasty.

Wait, was just told there is now a large hole in the super dome. Here we go...

rubicon789 said:
KNBG 282121 06015G25KT 9000 BR SCT030 BKN050 OVC080 QHN2960INS VCTS
TEMPO 2202 VRB30G45KT 1600 SHRA BR SCT005 OVC010CB/
BECMG 0204 06040G55 SCT005 OVC010 QNH2900INS
TEMPO 0206 VRB50G70KT 1600 TSRA BR SCT005 OVC010CB
BECMG 0507 VRB115G130KT 0400 +TSRAGR BR SCT005 OVC010CB QNH2860INS
TEMPO 0509 +FC
BECMG 0910 QNH2750INS
TEMPO 0915 +FC
BECMG 1516 120145G175KT 0100 +SHRA BR SCT005 OVC010 QNH2663INS
FM1630 VRB06KT 9999 SCT300 QNH2668INS
FM1830 270140G160KT 0100 +TSRA BR SCT005 OVC010CB QNH2672INS T24/11Z T34/20Z

Sounds like Total devistation if this thing keeps gaining steam... Holy 5hit !!

Looks like some great weather for touch and go's at about 1630.

Latest resources

Back