• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NY's Hometown Airline- Continental on FOX NY with Regis Tonight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5-- Continental has full control over Continental Express. They schedule, cancel, etc. It is a separate run company NYSE, but as part of the capacity buy CAL controls. Also CAL still owns part of XJT. Continental determines when flights operates etc. CAL buys all seats on all flights from XJT.

The codesharing on the west coast is not a capacity buy with AE. We do not buy seats on AE so therefore would not be included in any numbers. Also Continental owns all of the leases to XJT's airplane.

RocketRob said:
O.k. guys put your co&ks back in your pants and relax. Its marketing, who cares. I do agree that CAL probably did score some good points of advertising/ customer awareness through this. Besides all the people from NY/NJ/CT, many others from the rest of the country need/want to fly to new york and might now be thinking of CAL and those two big 1st class seats.

Oh come on Rob...it is just good natured fun....shouldn't you be studying the 777 book or something? :D Hope all is well dude...

-Neal

G4G5 said:
So who does Chautauqua feed at LGA? Here's a better one for you when AMR Eagle feeds Delta out of LAX, where does that belong? The fact is Express is a separately run airline. Where does that pax money go, not to CAL or it's bottom line. The reality is CAL sold off express, they have no control the airline and the folks are subject to contract between the two airlines (see UAL and Independence). This is very, very different from AMR where Eagle is controlled by Arpey and the profits (lol,if their are any) go to the shareholders. This is why you can't just count heads. How long did it take Blueridge to go from UAL feeder to CH7?

This illustrates your serious lack of understanding of the accounting behind the marketing agreement between CAL and XJT as well as the marketing agreement between AE and DL. AE and DL have a "code share" relationship out of LAX and guess what...so does CAL and AE - they are very similar but they are completely different from the Capacity Purchase Agreement ("CPA") that CAL has with XJT (and that CHQ has with AMR, Mesa has with United, etc). A CPA is just that...an agreement where network carrier purchases all of the capacity on a certain feeder...in exchange for full control of marketing, pricing, scheduling, etc. The feeder gets its costs covered plus some pre-determined margin while the network carrier treats those purchased seats no different than its 737/757/777 seats, etc...it can make or lose money (whereas the feeder will always make money - as it is set up that way).

XJT is NOT Indy...not even close. Indy was a low fare independent carrier while XJT is a partially-owned (yes, CAL still owns almost 9% of XJT) feeder doing business with CAL under a cost-plus agreement. CHQ does the same thing with AMR...that is why American Connection would count as AMR passengers just like AE passengers do. It is all one system network. And yes, the passenger's money on an XJT flight goes to CAL...not XJT. All XJT gets is the pre-determined block hour rate that CAL pays XJT. Apples to oranges as far as a code-share agreement goes (which is what DL is with AE in LAX).

G4G5 said:
See this is where we will just have to agree to disagree, EWR is for the folks from Jersey. If I need a direct domestic, I am looking to LGA and who is the largest out of LGA? With all of the carriers available, EWR just doesn't compare unless I need to get to Cleveland or Houston.

Boy that is a blanket statement (and a narrowminded one at that) if I've ever seen one...

...and if you need to go to CLE or IAH, you can go out of LGA ya know...heck CAL goes to IAH out of LGA almost every 90 minutes (in some cases 2 hours).

How many places does AMR (AA, AE, AC) go to out of LGA?

G4G5 said:
You could have twice the lines out of EWR, it wouldn't matter it's still EWR. EWR is for Jersey folks. People from Long Island, CT and Westchester aren't going to EWR unless they have to (price). Where do most of the Manhattan commuters live? When they travel on their family vacation or European business trip, where are they leaving from? Not the office. Speaking of Europe if I am doing business in London, Europe's most popular destination, why would I even consider EWR? The same goes for Paris. In fact once again, you can get to more European cities directly out of JFK and AA is the largest airline at JFK (international).

You think that AA goes direct to more european cities out of JFK than CAL goes to out of EWR? Wow...even if you add in AA's codeshare partners, don't forget that CAL has its own codeshare agreements.

G4G5 said:
New Yorkers, don't care who sponsors any of their teams, its a waste of money. This is evident by the fact that not a single NY stadium has a corporate sponsor.

The smiley face in my previous post on that comment was there for a reason...

G4G5 said:
What I asked was since when does it take 10 minutes to drive from LGA to EWR? You said 30-35 for LGA and 40-45 for EWR, when driving from lower Westchester. The reality is for most folks they need to leave MORE time to get to EWR because the traffic is so bad. What happens to the GW every Sunday from Sept to December? Either the NY Jets or the NY Giants are home playing a football game and 80k of your closest buddies are all between the GW and EWR airport. Try getting through the city any time from 7am to 7pm, no thanks. I'll take LGA or JFK and once again who is the largest at the Home Town NY airports?

It doesn't take 10 minutes to get from LGA to EWR...when did I say that? Also, as you know, one doesn't drive through NYC to get to EWR from lower Westchester. Also, one doesn't even have to take the GWB...remember that other bridge a few miles up the road from the GW? You see it all the time flying out of HPN...initials are TZ. You make it sound like the Whitestone and Throg's Neck are milk runs...

G4G5 said:
Oh by the way not having checked I would venture to guess that I could get to more destinations directly on AA or their One world partners directly out of JFK. What One World Partners don't count? Just because they are not owned or controlled by AMR. Hmmmmmmmm, just like CAL and CAL Express.

See above comments...but...Continental Express' relationship with CAL is entirely different from a OneWorld partner's relationship with AA...

G4G5 said:
Most New Yorkers I know would never bypass JFK or LGA so they could drive through or around Manhattan just to get to EWR where you are at the mercy of just one carrier.

EWR has just one international carrier? So who are all of those pilots with those funny english accents? They say names like "Scandy, Vuhgin, Speedbuhd, TAP, LOT, Air India, Air Jamaica, EL AL, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, Swissair, and the list goes on." Not as many total international carriers as JFK, but definitely nothing to scoff at either.

And MapQuest says 29 miles and 39 minutes from my parents' house to JFK and 35 miles and 46 minutes for EWR. Not exactly a glaring difference, especially since you risk a bridge (with choices and shortcuts) for both airports.

And just so we are on the same page, I never started this debate to get into a "whose wang is bigger" contest...just some good natured ribbing. I don't mind the debate...since it has been civil...which is surprising since we are both New Yorkers who dislike NJ.

-Neal

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back