NYC workers strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boeingman said:
Standyby to be told how effective your dues are being spent, how all the problems are a direct result of the membership.

Kind of like Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House:

"All is well, do not panic, all is well!"

Boeingman said:
I Am Warning All Of You To Cease And Desist From Making Any Attacks About Alpa Vis A Vis This Nyc Strike

How any of you have escaped a lecture from the resident ALPA defender Rez is incredulous. Standyby to be told how effective your dues are being spent, how all the problems are a direct result of the membership.

Ouch, that's hurts me when you talk like that! :rolleyes:

Vingus said:
Yet you keep paying your 2%.....

Uh, generally, that's because ALPA is a closed shop. Let's see what happens if all ALPA carriers suddenly become open shops...

And, yes, there is little competition for the NYC transit system. An ALPA strike would work if it were a SOS with non-ALPA carriers striking in sympathy.

Never gonna happen. As I've said repeatedly, that train left the station about 20 years ago. The airlines are basically non-union and it's because the people who are now senior at the legacy carriers cared only about themselves and the success of THEIR company while others took it in the a$$. They believed it couldn't happen to them.

Last night, while airlineing from COS-DEN-IND on a couple of UA busses, I couldn't help but snicker at those schleps driving the bus for a 'buck-and-a-quarter' an hour. That's the pay rate they derided TWA pilots for making less than 10 years ago while trying to "save their company".

Sorry, no sympathy here. The ALPA legacy's made their beds...TC

MedFlyer said:
It has nothing to do with cajones and everything to do with being a public service monopoly.

Unlike airlines, the mass transit system in NYC won't go out of business if the workers go on strike. There is no competing subway system that will steal customers away. If DL pilots go on strike, the airline will liquidate and other airlines will pick up DL's former customers. The two aren't comparable.

Remember, mass transit is a money losing enterprise (no mass transit system in the US makes money) and is subsidized by local, state and federal gov't. Don't complain when you have to start paying more taxes to support these transit workers.

Have to strongly disagree with you pal. Every one of these striking workers is facing potential jail time. They are subject to losing two days of pay for each day they are on strike and technically could be thrown in jail. I don't care who you are, that takes balls. I can't think of a single pilot group that would take that kind of heat.

I am within one year of turning my back on this profession not because I don't love flying but because I need to earn a living first and foremost. Something I can't do as a pilot. The TWU workers were offered 10% raise over 3 years and the retirement age remaining at 55 among other things and they said no, not enough!! Way to go! They have my full support.

I am going to look into getting a job with Metro North where I will work alongside real union members who will be ever vigilant in keeping upward pressure on wages and retirement. Not my fellow pilots with their Psuedo union (ALPA) who line up and take 30%-50% wage cuts, termination of pensions and detrioration of QOL or in our case IQOL (inequality of life) with open arms, all in the name of "helping" our company. We are a laughing stock and door mats to management behind closed doors. They know they can do anything, ANYTHING to us unchallenged.
It has been almost 4.5 years of this crap and there comes a time when the profession is not worth having anymore. Even if walking off the job means the liquidation of your company. You will be better off doing something else and you will at least have your pride. If I were at Delta, NWA, or any other airline that are still talking cuts, I would walk in a second!! This career is turning into an embarassment when your neighbor who delivers bread in the little bread truck has twice the house you have and earns significantly more.

Green said:
Have to strongly disagree with you pal. Every one of these striking workers is facing potential jail time.

No they aren't. There's no way you could put 33,000 people in jail and they know it. There's no way you can fire them all either. These are idle threats which is why these folks aren't afraid to strike. They have little to lose and lots to gain.

The only folks who I would say have cajones are the union leaders. They could potentially end up in jail. But for the rank and file workers, they have little to lose by striking other than some money.

I love this Jail B.S.. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to tell someone, "get your as* back to work or I'm going to throw you in JAIL!!!" That sounds a bit like slavery. That I know is illegal. Good for the TWU, the only reason managment is having a biblical tizzy fit is because the TWU hijaked their leverage. They assumed that they can what ever they want to these people and hold the guilt of crippling the city over their heads. They eventually called B.S. to that notion and in one fell swoop turned the tables. Now Bloomberg is threatening to enslave union leaders and is peeing his pants with anger and frustration. Welcome to the club, you billionaire Mother F***ER.

Zipperhead said:
As long as ALPA is the representing union for most airline pilots, this will NEVER happen. ALPA is gutless...

ALPA might be gutless, but at least they're not STUPID!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back