Ny Tracon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atcloser

i'm an ATC at NY TRACON and am new around here, i've been reading some posts and this is a great site. i'd be interested in hearing from any JFK/FRG based pilots to chat about dealing with us ATC's (whether good or bad). looking forward to hearing from some of you.

atcloser,

If I'm not mistaken isnt that where the movie "Pushing Tin" was based? how close did the movie get to an actual portayal of what you guys really do?

I thought about doing ATC for a while but the stress would kill me.

yes, 'pushing tin' was based at ny tracon, although the movie was actually filmed in canada somewhere. the set very slightly resembles the inside of the building, in reality its much darker, bigger, and more spread out. the did not do a great job representing life at N90 at all in my opinion, it was very hyped up and dramaticized.

atcloser said:
i'd be interested in hearing from any JFK/FRG based pilots to chat about dealing with us ATC's (whether good or bad).

Based in CDW/TEB and fly out that way often. You guys do a terrific job everytime. Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
In 1968 duiring a lay over in NY, I took a tour of the Greater NY Radar facility at Kennedy.

I think it was in hangar 24.

Is it still there?

Cat Driver:

You guys do an OUTSTANDING job. I don't speak to you guys too often any more, but used to work for "redbird" out of JFK.

My Bro' in Law works NY Tracon. You probably know him. His initials are A.S.

Us WN guys REALLY appreciate the right turn off 24 at ISP.......;)

I'm a relative newbie with only about four years of 121 experience, a lot of it in the NY area. You guys are awesome! Please come to Cleveland & provide some training, they could use it.

the tracon used to be in hanger 24 (or one of them) at JFK, it was called the COmmon IFR room. In 1981, months before the strike, it moved to Westbury, LI. It houses JFK, LGA, EWR, HPN, and ISP approach controls.

glad we can help all of you out there!

You guys have been awesome when I have flown my lowly single engine aircraft in either to land or transit the airspace. I thoroughly enjoy listening to someone who can talk faster than I can. :rolleyes:

Thanks for a job well done.

So can we ask you ATC-related questions?

Latest resources

Back