Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A question for ya

Welcome to flightinfo.

Maybe you can start with a question about the crossing restriction at ENO FL240 and abv.

It was originally asked on the thread called "Jepp Question".

Mar,

I looked at the thread about the Korry2 arrival and the crossing restriction at ENO, and am really not sure. ENO is well out of N90 airspace, or better yet for any airspace I ever see. I do know that they redesigned some departure routes out of LGA a few years ago, and that could have something to do with it. Also, I am pretty sure that a lot of JFK departures via RBV are sometimes filed over ENO at some point...the entire area aroung RBV and ARD is pretty congested with N90 departure traffic in general. So basically, I dont know the answer, you might want to find someone at NY Center or Wash Center to answer that one...

ATC Loser (loser?),

You can find me in BED :D

OK, Here's a question for you. When I get an IFR clearance out of an uncontrolled field, I get told to enter controlled airspace on a heading. Class E for this airport starts at 700', so on my climbout I would need to turn from runway hdg to enter controlled airspace on the assigned hdg. But the take-off procedure calls for a climb on runway heading to 2600' for obstacles. I always have this worry at the back of my brain about clunking into something in my climb when I turn to the assigned heading. Since I am being vectored, is ATC assuming responsibility for obstacle clearance at 700'? What is the purpose of the take-off procedure of climbong to 2600'?

Did I ask that in such a way as to make sense? Should I confine my questions to NY airspace?

wow thanks for all your positive replies about NY approach, i will pass them along at work...we try real hard to make everyone happy even though we have no airspace to do anything!

anne-

good question. ATC never assumes responsibilty for obstacle clearance, although we separate aircraft from 3 primary things: 1) each other 2) terrain 3) other controllers/sectors airspace. as far as terrain, that means we will not vector anyone (VFR/IFR) below the minimum vectoring altitude for a particular quadrant of airspace. thats our responsibility in the terminal approach environment as far as terrain. as far as any departure procedure or ATC assigned heading to enter controlled airspace, i would venture to say that you should hit the MSA (i am assuming that is what the 2600 number is) before turning to assigned ATC heading. of course, in my opinion, if you are in VFR conditions, that would be different. after trying to understand all the complexities of FAA Order 7110.65 (the ATC bible), I have come to the conclusion that many of the FAA's own rules are contradictory and unclear. what do pilots have to say about this???

NY controllers are a pretty sharp group... I have never had a single bad experience with any of those guys, truly a professional group that has got there sh!t together. NY and LA controllers are probably the best I get to work with, cream of the crop in my opinion and always a pleasure to know these guys were placed in these busy areas due to the skills and abilities that they have.

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back