• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NY Times Article on NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem with you spending 500K a year and expecting perks on top is the core product is costing 750K a year to provide...sans perks.

The real problem is that chimpanzees mashing away at a keyboard could have come up with a better analysis than you just did.

The majority of the losses we suffered in 2009 were due to write-downs on aircraft value. Glad to see that such a wizened scholar as yourself can diagnose problems without even the slightest basis in fact. Got any hot stock picks? I'd love to short them if this is your best effort.

Just one thread and I remember why I don't come over here.

Last edited:
The owner "perks" were relatively very small potatoes. Yes it is cost savings, yes we could all buy these ourselves, but a nice leather passport holder, tie or scarf wen I spend over $500k per year in monthly and hourly fees is a nice way to say "thanks". While we do not participate in most of the owner functions, there are a few which appeal to my kids and have been wonderful -- like a day in Columbus at FSI in the simulator and learning how planes fly, an evening with Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer), hitting tennis balls back to Roger Federer, being treated regally at the circus. These items go a very long way to keep owners more than happy (yes, over the top, but bringing it to a new level). Believe it or not, these are event that many owners could afford, but won't directly spend the extra $$ for. Some events, like Federer, are irreplaceable and can make the difference in attracting and keeping some owners. When your average client/owner spends in excess of $500k per year with a company (I think the NY times article is wrong at $250k since that tis the average cost per year of 50 hours in the Ultra), spending a few $$ on owners is not an excess. Next step, limiting us to 2 bottles of water and 1 box of jelly beans per person per flight?

Fly safe.

I was told how enjoyable the FSI gig was by others...I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I've been doing this a while and I still can't get over how detailed the visuals are getting in the sim.

BTW, commodities don't come with water or jelly beans...you might have to bring your own in a couple years. :laugh:

Hope to fly you some day, but it looks like it might not happen until after 10/29/2014...my expected recall date.

As a former NetJet owner I have to confess I really enjoyed the "perks". I participated in the poker tournament and some of the other events. Trust me there will be backlash over canceling this event. My kids loved the concerts. When I switched to Avantair my kids were upset because we knew those opportunities were gone. The Netjet owner will not be happy because they are the loser in this. They pay the bills and there are certain expectations. The "perks" were part of those expectations. It does bring the competition closer because it is an added benefit that is gone. Cost cutting always hurts but the rule is never bite the hand that feeds you. Many executives entering a customer service industry learn this the hard way.

Thanks for the insight...this is way better than a comment card we never get to read.

It will be interesting to see how this effects the market. I don't think it will be good for NJA.

The real problem is that chimpanzees mashing away at a keyboard could have come up with a better analysis than you just did.

The majority of the losses we suffered in 2009 were due to write-downs on aircraft value. Glad to see that such a wizened scholar as yourself can diagnose problems without even the slightest basis in fact. Got any hot stock picks? I'd love to short them if this is your best effort.

Just one thread and I remember why I don't come over here.

I do believe that if you read past the first sentence you will see I address business models based on aircraft appreciation.

Hot stock picks? Google. Go ahead and short that and see how it works out for you...tool.

The owner "perks" were relatively very small potatoes. Yes it is cost savings, yes we could all buy these ourselves, but a nice leather passport holder, tie or scarf wen I spend over $500k per year in monthly and hourly fees is a nice way to say "thanks". While we do not participate in most of the owner functions, there are a few which appeal to my kids and have been wonderful -- like a day in Columbus at FSI in the simulator and learning how planes fly, an evening with Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer), hitting tennis balls back to Roger Federer, being treated regally at the circus. These items go a very long way to keep owners more than happy (yes, over the top, but bringing it to a new level). Believe it or not, these are event that many owners could afford, but won't directly spend the extra $$ for. Some events, like Federer, are irreplaceable and can make the difference in attracting and keeping some owners. When your average client/owner spends in excess of $500k per year with a company (I think the NY times article is wrong at $250k since that tis the average cost per year of 50 hours in the Ultra), spending a few $$ on owners is not an excess. Next step, limiting us to 2 bottles of water and 1 box of jelly beans per person per flight?

Fly safe.

I agree with you NJAowner, BTW please have as much on board stock as you wish, it's always YOUR airplane.

Last edited:
Just keep banging on that keyboard Bonzo, you'll get a banana soon.

Oh, I get it. Two posts referring to me as a monkey.

Wait...I don't get it.

You were in the Union? Really? Wow. At least NJA pilots are fed well. Can you get a bannana (note the spelling of "bannana" retard) in one of the dozens of crew meals per week???? Cause I'm a monkey...get it? I like bannanas. funny right???

...still a tool.

Last edited:
labor is being punished for the shortcomings of the old management.A lot of pilots who were very comfortable in their seats decided to come here because it was better than their gig.

I feel you bro; being laid off brings about a lot of second-guessing and what if scenarios. Just remember that you left where you were for a reason... and NJA is one of the better jobs out there (you will get the chance to go back). You could still be at your regional where you were senior however is that where you want to be in ten years?

From personal experience: after a lay off it may take anywhere from 6 months to a year for the dust to settle in your life but stay focused on the endgame and not each set back. And take comfort that at least where ever you end up you have a union seniority number, which guarantees you will be recalled, and gives you options down the road, unlike a lot of other frac guys, me included.

Don't waste your energy hating or blaming management; it will turn you into a boring embittered pilot. Instead, try beer and hookers.:beer:
Good luck.

As a former NetJet owner I have to confess I really enjoyed the "perks". I participated in the poker tournament and some of the other events. Trust me there will be backlash over canceling this event. My kids loved the concerts. When I switched to Avantair my kids were upset...

But you switched anyway -- I think that's kinda the point. Your decision on which provider to use didn't depend on those perks. And if they cost more than the revenue they bring in, keeping them all is not a good business decision.

As a former NetJet owner I have to confess I really enjoyed the "perks". I participated in the poker tournament and some of the other events. Trust me there will be backlash over canceling this event. My kids loved the concerts. When I switched to Avantair my kids were upset because we knew those opportunities were gone. The Netjet owner will not be happy because they are the loser in this. They pay the bills and there are certain expectations. The "perks" were part of those expectations. It does bring the competition closer because it is an added benefit that is gone. Cost cutting always hurts but the rule is never bite the hand that feeds you. Many executives entering a customer service industry learn this the hard way.

Phony :rolleyes:
I give up,
too many posers and phony characters out here in internet land.
FlightInfo just isn't what it used to be.

Latest resources

Back