NWA's future in PHL/PIT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-handle

NWA is circling PIT,PHL, CLT like a vulture just waiting for USAir to go under. With NWA's new pilot contract, it allows NWA to sign up any regional (other than Mesaba and Pinnacle) as a 3rd airlink. What RJ operators are likely to be in this position to fly under NWA colors? Mesa has been been rumored.......

T-handle said:
NWA is circling PIT,PHL, CLT like a vulture just waiting for USAir to go under. With NWA's new pilot contract, it allows NWA to sign up any regional (other than Mesaba and Pinnacle) as a 3rd airlink. What RJ operators are likely to be in this position to fly under NWA colors? Mesa has been been rumored.......

Express Jet of course!!!

Mooser

Just trying to start a rumor!!!

T-handle said:

I don't believe that NW is that interested in PIT, PHL, or CLT. There has been very little interest as of yet and over the past year they actually reduced capacity in these markets. If USAir does go under I'm sure they will bolster their capacity to into the hubs to serve the local market but I doubt they would make them hub cities. USAir already proved that these cities aren't gold mines.

Any new Airlink will most undoubtedly fly along side of PCL and Mesaba out of MEM, DTW, and MSP (and possibly MKE and IND with PCL). It will be interesting to see who is going to be willing to take on this contract if NW ever offers it. NW executives are control freaks and they won't stand for truly "independent" operations under their banner. Any new contractor will most likely have to completely sign over control of that aspect of their company.

Anyone who has ever flown under NW colors knows that its their way or the highway but then desperation will likely be high among Mesa, CHQ, TSA, and any of the WO's should they escape the liquidation.

T-handle said:
Who ever has the 70 seaters available for the taking...or whoever wants to do a Jets 4 Jobs dealio.

Richard Anderson told us at a pilot meeting before he left that they expected USAir to liquidate early '05, and that the day after NW would be in PHL and/or PIT...that's the whole reason for the extra RJ's...we've got the mainline acft and crews available, but can't get enough RJ's and crews in that quick a time frame. I'm sure it would start out small, like MKE & IND, and slowly grow.

Hi!

TSA has very few airplanes flying for UAir.

They are working on a "new" airline to fly the 70 seaters, I believe for AA.

I believe that with NWA's new contract with it's pilots, that ONLY NWA pilots can fly plans of 70 seats or more.

Cliff
LRD

The mainline NWA pilots have scope clauses that own all flying above 50 seats. Mesaba's jets were grandfathered. I hear the company wants the union back at the table asap to discuss the 70 seaters. My impression is the union will take a hard line and hold on to the flying.

Jim, furloughed since 03/02/2002

DoinTime said:
I don't believe that NW is that interested in PIT, PHL, or CLT. There has been very little interest as of yet and over the past year they actually reduced capacity in these markets. If USAir does go under I'm sure they will bolster their capacity to into the hubs to serve the local market but I doubt they would make them hub cities. USAir already proved that these cities aren't gold mines.

Any new Airlink will most undoubtedly fly along side of PCL and Mesaba out of MEM, DTW, and MSP (and possibly MKE and IND with PCL). It will be interesting to see who is going to be willing to take on this contract if NW ever offers it. NW executives are control freaks and they won't stand for truly "independent" operations under their banner. Any new contractor will most likely have to completely sign over control of that aspect of their company.

Anyone who has ever flown under NW colors knows that its their way or the highway but then desperation will likely be high among Mesa, CHQ, TSA, and any of the WO's should they escape the liquidation.

Actually.. NWA has increased Capacity in PHL and PIT (look at the schedules)...

PIT for one, has been told to "expect" an increase, just like IND was told almost a year ago and see where it is now. Another "focus" city, some mainline flights but heavy on the regional side.

Word around the campfire is that the ink is drying on the contract with Skywest

Latest resources

Back