NWA Wants....WHAT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IB6 UB9 said:
Just curious, do you consider the fact that it will be probably 7-8 yrs (maybe 10-12) before we have any 12 yr Captains on the airplane, which probably is not the case at the aforementioned companies?

10-12 years until you hit the top of the 100 seat scale? Gawd, I hope you increase the rates before then. I would ask your union, um, scratch that. I would beg the Daves, um, no, that won't work. I would bring it up in your 5 year interviews.....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
10-12 years until you hit the top of the 100 seat scale? Gawd, I hope you increase the rates before then. I would ask your union, um, scratch that. I would beg the Daves, um, no, that won't work. I would bring it up in your 5 year interviews.....?

Bye Bye--General Lee

why bother.

Last edited:
IB6
Good post and good questions. If ALPA was truely interested in stopping
the "race to the bottom", or "lowering the bar" or whatever the catch
phrase is this week, then why do they allow flow back or Jets for Jobs
type agreements? As soon as the shoe is on the other foot, they
are the first group to negotiate lower pay rates.

Why are so many furloughed ALPA pilots looking for jobs at JetBlue, AirTran,
or the regionals they flew for before getting hired at a major?

I guess if it is for your own self preservation, it is okay to fly an RJ until
you get recalled when the economy improves, but anyone else that
dares work there is "lowering the bar".

Green said:
The fact that the new Airways has managed to secure E-190 flying for mainline should help the NWA Alpa negotiating position...Right?

You mean the creation of MidAtlantic right? Where US Airways created a certificate to have furloughed mainline pilots fly 90 seat jets?

Did you also know that Republic/Chautauqua bought those jets, so now those jets (and pilots) are at the regional?

mynameisjim said:
You mean the creation of MidAtlantic right? Where US Airways created a certificate to have furloughed mainline pilots fly 90 seat jets?

Did you also know that Republic/Chautauqua bought those jets, so now those jets (and pilots) are at the regional?

Jimmyboy,

Nope. The "new" USAirways pilot's have secured 90-100 seat flying with management flying EMB-190s. This is totally separate from the old MDA deal.

What you're talking about is old news. MDA was flying the -170s, not 90 seaters.

Nu

Quote/email from Jetblue Jumpseat coordinator
Unfortunately, I feel we have reached an impasse with our jumpseat issues with NWA, in fact we are seeing it deteriorate even further. This does not imply that we will not continue to work toward a solution; it’s just a notice to our pilots that frequent NWA jumpseats for your commute to plan alternatives.

We had three of our pilots denied a jumpseat ride on NWA last week. We reported all three cases to the NWA jumpseat coordinator. The response we received was,
“I spoke with ____ regarding his handling of the situation. Sorry, but our Captains have the authority to take or deny anyone they choose. I cannot force them to take anyone but a Fed. Unfortunately, it may get worse as our contract, work rules, and lifestyle degrade.”

I don’t interpret his message as a threat but rather as a matter of fact. Obviously the issues with their contract, work rules, and lifestyle degrade, are not the fault of jetBlue pilots. All we are is a convenient punching bag. The dilemma is that no one with the ability is correcting the miss-information.

For anyone that depends on NWA for your commute you should carry a non-rev pass as a back up. You can obtain a pass authorization by filling out an online form on the Pass Bureau website:

Also, please continue to send any reports of jumpseat issues on NWA. Each report is followed up with and is the only avenue we are offered toward a remedy at this point. We’ve been assured that each incident is followed up with the offender. We need: DATE, LOCATION, FLT #, CITY PAIR, and the name of the captain if possible.

As we persist to work on this issues, please continue to welcome all our off line jumpseat riders with our renown hospitality. Any type of retaliation or intimidation would only further deteriorate this situation.

Hey All,
I finally got hold of our JS coordinator. I must have used a bad email address but I did speak with him by phone. His position is a tricky one. He does defend the rights of all jumpseating pilots. His ideal concept would be for him to call the offending Captain, and have a discussion about how we all need each other to get to work etc, etc,. However, he said, it does not work that way. He has talked himself blue in the face to the individuals involved, and they (the Captains) stand by their rights to control their jumpseat. Our JS coordinator did say this is not a widespread conspiricy, just a handfull of guys with an "out there" notion that they are somehow making a statement. Our JS guy did say he would make a particular effort in the case of the Jet Blue pilots to try and explain to the offending Captain, that he was not making matters better for jumpseating in general, and that the action of denying the jump seat reflects poorly on our (NWA's) professionalisn. He is very synpathetic to the pilots who have had to go through this but he is limited in his power. He is also thankful of the professionalism the JetBlue folks have displayed. I wish I had a better report that had the problem solved. I will continue to spread the word on an individual basis with the Captains I fly with about this subject.
Deli Guy

Embarrassing

I flew with a Capt last month that said he wouldn't let a JB pilot ride his jumpseat. His reasoning was BS. I tried to convince him he was wrong and making all NWA pilots look like asses. Don't know if I was successful in convincing him to change his ways since we never had any JB jumpseaters ask for a ride. If I hadn't seen it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. As embarrassing as it is, I now know that they are out there, but they are the exception rather than the rule. For the vast majority of NWA crews, JB pilots are as welcome on the JS as any other pilot group. Add my apologies to any of you out there that have had a bad experience with that minority.

No worries mates. We honestly realize that the vast majority of you all are true professionals, and just caught up in this ugly industry mess like the rest of us. Just because theres a few knuckleheads out there is no reason to get into a tis. We have a couple of them too. You guys are welcome on my jumpseat anytime.

NuGuy said:
Jimmyboy,

Nope. The "new" USAirways pilot's have secured 90-100 seat flying with management flying EMB-190s. This is totally separate from the old MDA deal.

What you're talking about is old news. MDA was flying the -170s, not 90 seaters.

Nu

Now we have to see, what UALPA does with the people on the MDA deal? So far it does not look good!

Dizel8 said:
Now we have to see, what UALPA does with the people on the MDA deal? So far it does not look good!

I thought since AWA needed about 300 new pilots coming up here, they were going to hire them from the furloughed pilots. They probably would NOT get DOH from their USAir days, but I guess that is better than the street..... There are so many senior USAir people out on the street, that could be a real mess for the current AWA guys. I would rather start over and fly an AWA/USAir bus than start over at Republic etc.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back