NWA Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TinGoose1 said:
You like the path we're on? I vote for the revolutionary part of your statement. The path we are on right now stinks, and it doesn't seem to bother those at the national level much. Sometimes revolution is a good thing. Seemed to work for the U.S. a couple of hundred years ago. Same concept, different players. Maybe I should change my screen name to "Spartacus".

Don't misquote me there. Our evolutionary path is not something I can change. All I can do is adapt to it the best I can. I'd rather not see the pace of change quicken or the change take a different, more labor unfriendly, direction.

I knew some might like the revolution. Someone will be able to take advantage of it. Probably pilots just starting out in this industry. I am not one of those.

Spartacus, eh?

Reminds me of the Captain in the movie "Airplane". "Little Johnny, do you like gladiator movies?" "Ever seen a grown man naked?"

Last edited:
Hey guys read the MEC message it's at the top here.NWA ALPA is against any NEWCO or what ever they want to call it.

I didn't mean to misquote you. I'm just a firm believer that we could be winning this fight. National just refuses to change their tactics, even when they have proven not to work. I don't think what we are experiencing is evolution, it's just a weak labor group getting beaten up by management. I sincerely hope that the NWA pilots hold the line, I just don't have a lot of faith that they will.

-Spartacus

No flame bait here guys, but I don't understand something. Was the NEWCO concept included in the TA that ALPA agreed to, and the membership ratified? If so, shouldn't the MEC (and the pilot group) have seen this coming?

mdanno808 said:
No flame bait here guys, but I don't understand something. Was the NEWCO concept included in the TA that ALPA agreed to, and the membership ratified? If so, shouldn't the MEC (and the pilot group) have seen this coming?

No, the TA was just pay with a few work rule changes. The NEWCO idea is part of the permanent agreement proposal.

Does anyone know the name of the U.S. Airways regional express executive who is now in charge of creating NEWCO at Northwest? Is this the same executive who helped create Mid Atlantic and its eventual liquidation of assets?

It concerns me that NWA has already expressed its intention to sell NEWCO and now appears to be indirectly (or maybe directly) negotiating its sale with ALPA. It will be impossible to create contract language that prevents its sale while a company is in bankruptcy. I hope the NWA pilots negotiate with the assumption that NEWCO WILL be sold.

b737drivr said:
discussions this week centered on management's other proposed changes to scope, including its proposals to have the flexibility to wet lease a significant amount of flying, engage in unlimited code-sharing and sell assets without a pilot right to transfer with the asset.

Last edited:
Maybe our red-tail counterparts at mainline could take a look at what is going on at XJ. Last week there was a hearing with the Trustees (part of the chpt 11 situation), ALPA was there and by all accounts had done their homework! Our CEO and CFO were practically shredded when it came to their involvement in financial irregularities (borderline criminal). The general consensus is that we'll take our chances with the judge in court! By the way, there may be a vote of no-confidence in mngt coming soon - something that a judge may not dismiss so easily, given certain mngt activities!
You guys / gals at mainline should take heart at what's happening in the Delta courtroom, and maybe pay a little more attention to what's going on in your own backyard re. XJ. Don't be so ready to give! Do your homework and drag these crooks through their own mud in court!!!!!!

Rossa,

Just a word of caution -

Don't be in such a hurry to let a judge determine our future. History shows in BK court that the judge will side with corporate when it comes to pay, work rules etc... so that the company may have a chance to survive. Creditors historically do not come out on top and we (XJ pilots and FAs) are on the creditors list.

Beetle007 said:
Does anyone know the name of the U.S. Airways regional express executive who is now in charge of creating NEWCO at Northwest? Is this the same executive who helped create Mid Atlantic and its eventual liquidation of assets?

It concerns me that NWA has already expressed its intention to sell NEWCO and now appears to be indirectly (or maybe directly) negotiating its sale with ALPA. It will be impossible to create contract language that prevents its sale while a company is in bankruptcy. I hope the NWA pilots negotiate with the assumption that NEWCO WILL be sold.

Beetle - where did you get your info on the sale of Newco? If this is the case, any chance of recall can be forgot by all. Sounds very similur to the piecing of Pam Am in the 80's! Time to move on and NOT look back!

253611 2/02

Latest resources

Back