• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

b737drivr

Pinnacle asked to park some jets

Judy Tarver
9/27/2005
In an SEC filing yesterday, Pinnacle Airlines Corp. stated it has received a request from its airline partner, Northwest Airlines, Inc., to remove 15 CRJ aircraft from service, effective October 31, 2005.

Pinnacle expects its block hours and cycles in the fourth quarter of 2005 to be reduced by approximately 11% and 10%, respectively, compared to its original expected schedule operating a full complement of 139 CRJ aircraft. Pinnacle is making arrangements to place these aircraft in long-term storage.

This action is a direct result of Northwest airline’s recent filing for bankruptcy.

Management expects to reduce staffing levels through a combination of regular attrition and voluntary employee leaves. It is possible that the Company will be forced to resort to involuntary furloughs, should the number of employees electing voluntary leaves be insufficient. Pinnacle is also reviewing other components of its cost structure to reduce its costs further.

As a result of the 15 aircraft schedule reduction, Pinnacle expects fourth quarter earnings to decline between 10% and 15% as compared to its previous projections based on operating a full complement of 139 aircraft

I wish that was true... but it isn't... they are heading for long term storage (whatever that means).

Our company firmly states they would go back to the lease holder before going to XJ.

Scary part is this appears to be phase 1, phase 2 is due sometime in december.

Not sure how Pinnacle is "getting hosed." Since 9/11 NWA has furloughed 900 pilots (400 have been recalled and will get furloughed again), and Pinnacle has received over 100 RJs and hired a ton of pilots. Now they are losing 15 jets and they are getting hosed? Give me a break.....

I don't know where everyone is getting their "information" from, but very little of it has been accurate so far. The RJs are not going to Mesaba. They are getting parked on the maintenance ramp down in TYS for now, and if this drags on then they will be moved to long-term storage (unlikely). Mesaba has shut down their CRJ training program and is not taking any new airplanes beyond the two they already have. As for "phase two" supposedly coming later this year, that is nothing but yet another ridiculous rumor. Please call the elected Association reps to get real information and not wild speculation.

finnjl said:
you know, sometimes I get tired when I see some legacy carrier mainline pilots bitching about how Pinnacle or whatever regional it happens to be is screwing them and all the growth is at the regional., etc. etc. etc. I am sorry but I do not feel too bad as the layed off guys could of taken crappy jobs like the rest of us regional scum but they are too good. I know some guys did take regional jobs. I imagine most of the of the pilots that bitch about regional pilots are probably ex military guys who got out of the military with a full retirement and went straight to work at a Major. I am getting tired of them saying that the regional scum is bringing down the industry, like we have any say what so ever what the pay is going to be. By the way I never saw any mainline pilot ever say they were not going to fly until the pay at there associated regional is raised. Also I get tired of hearing about how shootty it is when they have to fly a GIV until they can get back to their airline job. I am just getting tired of being poor and listening to these mainline guys bitch when there are plently of opportunities out there for them. Maybe if a 777 captain did not make 300,000 per year maybe they could spread the wealth and pay a freakin regional FO 40,000 a year to start but instead we get 20,000 a year to start. Yes I feel some mainline pilots are not over paid. This will probably piss off a lot of pilots but there are a lot of people out there with Phds that do not make 100,000 per year. Get out of the freaking industry if it is so bad and if the mainline pilots do not start coming around and facing reality there future is not too good. (Eastern, Braniff, Pam AM, etc. etc.) Everyone said they would never go away as well.

How much are you worth? You obviously think pilot pay has caused all of this mess as of late? It was all because of the pilots, right? Some middle manager who cheated his way thru his MBA at the U of Minn deserves more money per year than a 747 Captain, right?

How many high paying GV jobs are there out there for retired or furloughed pilots? Are you sure about that?

Have I asked all questions? Will you ever make it to the "majors" with this attitude? Nope.

Bye Bye--General Lee

finnjl said:
you know, sometimes I get tired when I see some legacy carrier mainline pilots bitching about how Pinnacle or whatever regional it happens to be is screwing them and all the growth is at the regional., etc. etc. etc. I am sorry but I do not feel too bad as the layed off guys could of taken crappy jobs like the rest of us regional scum but they are too good. I know some guys did take regional jobs. I imagine most of the of the pilots that bitch about regional pilots are probably ex military guys who got out of the military with a full retirement and went straight to work at a Major. I am getting tired of them saying that the regional scum is bringing down the industry, like we have any say what so ever what the pay is going to be. By the way I never saw any mainline pilot ever say they were not going to fly until the pay at there associated regional is raised. Also I get tired of hearing about how shootty it is when they have to fly a GIV until they can get back to their airline job. I am just getting tired of being poor and listening to these mainline guys bitch when there are plently of opportunities out there for them. Maybe if a 777 captain did not make 300,000 per year maybe they could spread the wealth and pay a freakin regional FO 40,000 a year to start but instead we get 20,000 a year to start. Yes I feel some mainline pilots are not over paid. This will probably piss off a lot of pilots but there are a lot of people out there with Phds that do not make 100,000 per year. Get out of the freaking industry if it is so bad and if the mainline pilots do not start coming around and facing reality there future is not too good. (Eastern, Braniff, Pam AM, etc. etc.) Everyone said they would never go away as well.

Until you walked in our (furloughed pilots) shoes then you may not understand some pilots positions. Most of us are well aware that commutor pilots work hard for nothing. We understand that your companies choose the aircraft you fly. That your just trying to feed your families and make a buck.

Like you many of us have worked our a$$es off to get to what was the top at that time. I would imagine that military pilots worked hard too. In the end does it really matter what your interpretation is of what we think. Coming on a public board and dropping a biscut in your shorts about "mainline pilots are so mean". How is this helping my veiw or any other furlough/mainline guys veiw of commuter pilots and or you? I know there are pinheads on both sides of the fence here. Sometimes those veiws are from civilian pilots and sometimes from Military pilots. There are good and bad pilot in the military and on the civilian side.

There are many reasons why the industry is in this current situation and why the pay blows. Bottom line for me, is this industry is not going to be improved with your comments. Grow a thicker skin and move on with your life. It's short, enjoy it bro.

Last edited:
That's OK. Give it a couple of years and la General will be scrambling for any flying job she can get her hands on with her 750 hours of turbine PIC (and oh yeah, 5000 hours of 757 SIC, which goes as far as........well, ask any AAA F/O).

Have I asked all questions? Will you ever make it to the "majors" with this attitude? Nope.

Bye Bye--General Lee

probably wont be any left....

Latest resources

Back