Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Super Premium Wide Body Boondoggle - if 65 Wasn't Bad Enough...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly4hire

There is an old NWA resolution being carried forward to the new DAL MEC over allowing age 60 plus pilots to fly part time while drawing retirement benefits.

The resolution is well meaning and well articulated, however only addresses the upside while conveniently side stepping unintended negative consequences.

The short version is to allow pilots to retire early (post 60, but prior to 65) and draw full retirement benefits while flying a partial schedule. The gist of the rationale is that it would allow pilots to leave early and for every two pilots who fly part time free up a position to be filled by a junior pilot.

What it does not address is that pilots can already retire at 60 without penalty (and allow 1:1 progression), and the danger is that it might provide incentive for pilots to remain to 65 when they might otherwise fully retire earlier. Given the stats to date on FN retirements this might well SLOW retirements and career progression.

What a good gig - retire, fly one choice senior trip a month to your favorite foreign destination, and con the junior pilots into thinking it's helping them!

OBTW, this resolution does not address part time flying with full benefits for those under 60 who might like to fly a partial schedule.

I urge all junior DAL pilots to contact their Reps to ensure this one dies a swift legislative death at the next MEC meeting

Last edited:
They more than likely do not want it to die. It saves them the cost of training a ton of new pilots et al.

I am guessing that since these guys are part time, they do not get your active employee health care as well.

They more than likely do not want it to die. It saves them the cost of training a ton of new pilots et al.

I am guessing that since these guys are part time, they do not get your active employee health care as well.

Who is they? Management? Are you willing to stagnate your career further to save the company training costs? Age 70 would help as well....

This an MEC/PWA issue to allow or not.

I am not willing to do anything.
I have made my issue with this known when it was passed on your side. We tried this before at DAL, but it did not work out that well or for two long.

They retired, they need to go. I can just see the company really be rooting for this one. It is a huge cost savings to them, and hence was the point of my previous post.

They is management. I am sure that there are some that think we can gain something by allowing this. The only thing it allows is slower attrition.
I know what it is and who has a say, but with the PWA, the company has a stake in it too.

When Delta hired again in 07-08, we allowed retired guys to come back and interview BUT they had to start at the bottom of the list.

I don't think they should be able to fly part time. They would be able to fly the best trips whenever they wanted. You are either retired or you are not. You cannot collect a pension and fly whenever you wanted to. It is pretty much double-dipping and even state employees in NY are not allowed to do that.

I think the new MEC will be smart enough to deny them this resolution.

We don't need this right now.

Last edited:
May want to consider the possibility that if this is pushed to be eliminated, some of those pilots that would have retired and returned to partial lines may not retire at all, thus eliminating that upward slot altogether. Afterall, they will be senior and can drop the choice trips and maintain ALL of their full time priveleges.

I agree, you cannot have your cake and eat it to. Having the benefits of your retirement and the benefits of your seniority is just not right.

May want to consider the possibility that if this is pushed to be eliminated, some of those pilots that would have retired and returned to partial lines may not retire at all, thus eliminating that upward slot altogether. Afterall, they will be senior and can drop the choice trips and maintain ALL of their full time priveleges.

That is their choice. Right now we have a solid line between retired and active. Let's keep it that way. There is no reason to complicate things more. I am a firm believer in keeping things simple.

Latest resources

Back