• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nwa Strike Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The last "strike" in this country was averted only because of presidential intervention. You boys up north know how to huddle together. (or is it just the cold winters?)

Gup :)

arent the fa's going to strike anyways? what the hell do they have to lose , 30 to 40% of their jobs are going to maria the taco vender in mexico. just do it they're turning your f'ing airline into a regional.

General Lee,

Stay current. Mesaba pilots are just trying to keep their contract. Mesaba filed to have our ridiculously expensive contract tossed in BK court. We really couldn't give a rats a$$ if some whale captains at NWA can't make boat payments next month.

FYI, current upgrade at Mesaba are non existent with our yearly furloughs and downgrades.

And yes, NWA can outsource their pilots. They furlough 'em and then rehire 'em at Pinnacle. Most of them quit after 6 months or so, but they sure can do it.

Last edited:
Again, I am no expert! In example: Eastern Pilot and Flight Attendant Strike was a Sympathy Strike for the IAM; Different Unions…. If not for a Presidential intervention in March of 1989 I think the IAM/TWU was planning on shutting down all transport in the NE…

http://d2d.ali-aba.org/_files/thumbs/rtf/19JamesSecondaryPickeCG055_thumb.pdf

The Court accordingly found no bar to the striking union's plan "to
picket the facilities of other carriers and to ask other carriers'
employees to withdraw from service." Id.
at 433.
(1) The Court recognized that as a consequence of its holding
"[w]hat began as a dispute over renewal of a collective
bargaining agreement between a small railroad in Maine and
some of its employees [could] expand[ ] to picketing and
threats of strike activity at railroad facilities around the
country." Id.
at 431.
(2) The Court rejected the "substantial alignment" test of Ashley,
Drew. & N. Ry. v. UTU UTU, 625 F.2d 1357, 1364-65 (8th Cir.
1980) (union may strike an employer other than the one
involved in the primary dispute if the secondary employer is
"substantially aligned" with the primary employer, i.e.
, e., if the
secondary "performed essential services" for the primary,
aided the primary by participating in a common strike
insurance plan, or had any other "significant commonality of
interest" with the primary employer), and held that organized
labor, not the judiciary, should determine when to engage in
secondary activity. See
, also also, Brotherhood of R.R. Trainmen
, v. Atlantic Coast Lines R.R. R., 362 F.2d 649 (5th Cir.), aff'd , aff'd,

Eastern -- different bargaining units, same carrier.

Agreed, there appears to be no bar to secondary picketing.

As to whether or not all the other stuff would allow sympathy strikes at other airlines, well ... I'll leave that to the judges. As I read your excerpts, no. After all, the RLA was written to prevent industry-wide job actions.

Dodge said:
General Lee,

Stay current. Mesaba pilots are just trying to keep their contract. Mesaba filed to have our ridiculously expensive contract tossed in BK court. We really couldn't give a rats a$$ if some whale captains at NWA can't make boat payments next month.

FYI, current upgrade at Mesaba are non existent with our yearly furloughs and downgrades.

And yes, NWA can outsource their pilots. They furlough 'em and then rehire 'em at Pinnacle. Most of them quit after 6 months or so, but they sure can do it.

Stay current? You need to also. NW wants to give you guys or whoever goes the lowest unlimited 76 seat jets. That is what NW ALPA is fighting against. And could you tell me again how NW outsources for THEIR MAINLINE FLEET? Not Pinnacle, etc. It would take them months to train enough pilots to cover their striking mainline pilots. I know they did that for their mechanics, but so far not for their pilots. That was my point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe General Lee will convince her fellow pilots at DL to step out for the good of the industry when the big day comes? Or are we more interested in what the market share will look like in the NE if NWA liquidates?

Last edited:
Tank Commander said:
Maybe General Lee will convince her fellow pilots at DL to step out for the good of the industry when the big day comes? Or are we more interested in what the market share will look like in the NE if NWA liquidates?

Replacing NWA will result in probably irreversible damage to the local economies that are serviced by them; You can't just simply say they will be replaced overnight.

Latest resources

Back