NWA SCABS at Best Western

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ultrarunner said:
and number 2, it's likely their CBA forbids sympathy stikes...but a NWA'er can comment on that.

Depends on who you talk to or whose quote you use, but it's been argued that the pilots are the only union left at NWA that retained the right for a sympathy strike.

This is what the press has reported and management contends. However, the other unions feel that they still have that right...

There shouldn't be any abiguity at all. Either the CBA they are currently under forbids it, or it doesn not.

If I recall the last CBA I worked under, Sympathy Stikes were clearly addressed, and prohibited.

Well, NW managment stated that PFAA was prohibited from a sympathy strike due to the CBA. However, the union and "union attorneys" feel that they have the right to a sympathy strike from provisions within the RLA???? So, who knows who is correct...

Well, that may be the case...

..but do you really think a NWA pilot is gonna walk out for these guys...

...in todays environment.....

I don't think so.

Nah, don't get me wrong. The red tails will be flyin' and it'll be the ALPA guys up in the front office. They won't sympathy strike...

Don't mean to thread hijack here, but...

Posted by erj-145mech
Jet Blue is taking their aircraft to Honduras for work. The technicians in Honduras aren't unionized. Are Jet Blues aircraft unsafe?

Posted by bocefus
Honduras? Try next door in Nicaragua. But, point taken

Posted by justApilot
It's only a matter of time before the south of the border mx becomes an issue. I can't believe the FAA is onboard with that program.

Posted by bocefus
Are you suggesting that "south of the border" FAA certificated repair stations are somehow less qualified than domestic FAA certificated repair stations?

Posted by justApilot
YES I AM!

Actually, the work is done in San Salvador, El Salvador (as well as in Winnipeg, Canada).

The work in El Salvador is done by TACA, which I understand has an excellent reputation worldwide for aircraft heavy maintenance excellence.

It seems to me that justApilot thinks only North Americans can do quality work. Or, perhaps he simply thinks Latin Americans are incapable of doing good technical work?

Last edited:
Stick to your guns

...and take'em down boys! Otherwise this will be one in a series of more concessions.

erj-145mech said:
If the airplane isn't airworthy, in the Captains opinion, he won't accept it. The Captain won't put anyones life in jeopardy because of a maintenance issue.

I'm sure the pilots of the recent airline crashes thought there aircraft were good to go. Obviously the pilot cant give the aircraft a %100 before he goes and flys it.

Big Beer Belly said:
Under the FWIW category ... the pilots at UPS have unilaterally removed NWA from its "approved carrier list" ... thereby halting all booking of transportation on NWA for the duration of the mechanics' strike. YES, ABSOLUTELY we believe NWA will be less safe to travel on with poorly trained replacement (SCAB) mechanics turning wrenches for them.

Good luck to all the hard-working mechanics at NWA!

Regards,

BBB

With all due respect. Just because NWA has been removed from UPS approved carrier list, does not mean that they were removed for safety issues. That would certainly be a fair reason to do so, but show us where UPS has publicly stated that this is the reason. There are many reasons NWA could have been pulled and you are just surmizing the most dramatic reason you can think of. How about dispatch reliability? Could be that UPS is worried about flights getting where they need to be on time.

Latest resources

Back