NWA rumors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P3
To answer your original question, Charley is absolutely correct about the companies OFFICIAL word (bringing back furloughs in Q4). On the other hand is the whisper around NWA. The company originally said it would furlough 850. The whisper even a few months ago is that the actual furlough would be between 400 and 500. The company just cut back projected furlough number to 550. Common perception still is that it will not exceed 500. There is also rumors floating around (originating from places "in the know") that all furloughees will be back in summer with possible new hire classes to follow. Will this happen? I have no idea. I am under the impression, however, that the OFFICIAL word is generally very conservative and worst case. I would venture to GUESS the "whisper" being heard by many will more than likely play out to be more accurate. Just my opinion and probably just enough to confuse anyone.

On the Reserve issue, Reserves are very good about taking care of their own. It will be difficult for you to make ends meet unless you live where your Reserve unit is. If you intend to live at your Reserve location, I would heavlily consider separating and going Reserve. You will be able to make ends meet (unless you spend like my wife) and it will be the quickest most flexible route to the majors when the opportunity again presents itself. Good Luck.

I spoke with Becky at NWA HR this morning to see if she had any new info and to clarify what exactly "the letter" means. As far as call backs and furlough numbers, they are still projecting 4th quarter and they are evaluating furlough numbers on an ongoing basis, so nothing is set in stone.

They have no projection as to when they will start to hire again, but those with the letter will be the first contacted (after furloughees, of course) but they haven't decided what the interview process will be. It maybe just a background update but there's a chance we may have to do Phase I and II over. She said the most important thing is to keep contact info up to date.

I also asked about staying in the military and how that would affect hiring status. She said that as long as you keep them up to date, they will hold position for you until you get out.

Hope this helps any other NWA poolies/furloughees. As for me, I still haven't made a decision. Thanks for all the input/advice.

That is excellent news as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine they'd make those "with the letter" retake the phase I all over again. It's only going to cost them money, and since we fit their profile before (schizophrenic ax murderers), it's probably a safe bet we'd pass again. Obviously they'd need to update background checks and currencies. I'd just be happy to be given first consideration when they do start hiring again.
And here is something for the wildass rumor file...Apparently the Air Force is looking to fill the gap created by losing (at least temporarily) its C-141's. NWA is a perfect filler (combination cargo/passenger carrier) and talks are in progress. If something comes of that then furlough numbers will shrink and may even disappear. Did I mention the part about wildass rumor? Has anyone heard something similar?

Rock,
Great Rumor. Hope their is a wildhair's truth to it. Where did you get the info that talks are in progress. Haven't heard anything to that respect. Let's hope its true.

I work with a current NWA pilot. He usually keeps his ear to the ground, and says this comes from fairly reputable sources within the company. Of course, I don't think I'll quit my day job until I hear something a little more firm.

Getting out of the Mil is a question of why you want to get out. When I got out, I just wanted the nearest exit. I didn't consider flying for the airlines until I had decided to get out. I would have just as soon flip burgers as stay in the mil. So for me personally, I would get out, but I realize that is a different situation.

NWA Rumors...NWA has pulled two DC 10s from the dessert (sp?) and is attacking UAL routes. Everytime UAL pulls a flight on a shared route, NWA adds one. Great news for the redtails! The previous comes from a reliable source. The following I don't have a source for. Furloughed pilots will go back to the same seat they came from saving training cost. Hopefully this means that we can get into the business of hiring pilots quicker than spending time retraining them.

Heard very similar talk as of late. Also told not to be surprised if a substantial number of furloughees called back by April / May. Keep the fingers crossed.

Latest resources

Back