• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Recalls 54 for January

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In an effort to keep this thread off track ;) , in that case a captain could earn 300 grand in a year. The people at SWA understands how this works. But to assume that anyone who works here will earn 100,000 in their second year is not telling the whole story. You have got to dedicate a good part of your off time to earn something like that. Most, I believe, are interested on what they can earn just being on the line.

Just curious, why is it so important to keep a thread on track anyways? Most all conversations branch into other areas of interest.

SWAdude :cool:

SWAdude,

I did it this year averaging working around 17-18 days a month and the payrates have only gone up in the meantime. I still think it can easily be done (at least in BWI) if you're willing to work a bit. And doing some rough math a 2nd year guy who earns $100K is about the same as a captain who earns $230K- well above average but by no means rare.

T1

T1bubba,

That would mean that you average 100 hours a month. Thats alot of work. Most do not do that. Many do. Most don't. Many burn out at that rate. I am one of those.

My point is for others to compare airline to airline, hour for hour, duty days to duty days, its more fair to compare what someone earns just flying their line (which most do).

SWAdude :cool:

We are not like any other airline. Including the way our compensation is figured out.

SWAdude said:
My point is for others to compare airline to airline, hour for hour, duty days to duty days, its more fair to compare what someone earns just flying their line (which most do).
I agree. But other data points are also useful, particularly at an airline like ours where you have an incredible amount of control over how much or how little you fly. That is one of the many things that I like about being here. My point was just that if your goal is to make that amount of money (or more) you can do it 2nd year.

FWIW, there's only been one month this year where I've flown over 90 hours. And yes, it was too much work. :)

T1

Ok...tell me what our base is? If its 85 hours then my numbers (pay) do not change. I flew 90 hours in Aug.. that is it...every other month is below 85 hours.

Last edited:
SWA F/O,

I have flown months that have logged very close to 100 hours hard flying that payed the equivilent of 130 hours of flying due to deadheads, vacation, training etc. I have also have flown 40 hours and payed 90 hours due to the same.

A base rate would be the average month of flying a hard line without any other compensation adjustments. Everyone can relate to a basic figure. In our case it is in the neighborhood of 80 to 83 hours of flying an an average. If you choose to work more or less that is your decision which is one of our perks. But believe it or not the average person flies the line and goes home. Those are the facts. We have some that can occasionally work the system for 170 + trips and some that give their whole month away. But to implicate that one can easily earn more than a guarantee is misleading. For one our open time system is seniority based and therefore it may be easier for some than others. It may be easy for you but not for others.

The base is a barometer for all to relate.

Base - then I have no idea what my base is.

This is what I know: I will break 100,000 this year, my 3rd year. I average 17 days off a month and have only flown over 85 hours once this year. Relate to that.

I guess, I make compensation adjustments all the time, trading away less productive trips for better ones. An example of this is trading a 19.5 trip three day for a 25.7 trip three day. Just that trade alone will pay me 541.88 more and I'm gone the same length of time from home. Now if I could just get that at your pay Capt.

SWA/FO said:
Ok...tell me what our base is? If its 85 hours then my numbers (pay) do not change. I flew 90 hours in Aug.. that is it...every other month is below 85 hours.

All your base are belong to us!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back