NWA Recalls 54 for January

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
Adam Smith applied to the next hiring boom. With salaries going to an unbelievable unacceptable low level of only $150K/yr and benefits, pensions going down the tubes, maybe fewer people will pursue a flying career. Not me because I think anything close to $100/yr is a great salary, so do most of my non-major (legacy) friends. Assuming an elastic demand/supply curve and with a lower supply competing for maybe a lower percentage of the jobs seen in 1999-2001, the percentage being hired per interview may go up. (I personally think the hiring boom of 2007-2009 will have bigger numbers than the hiring booms of past, because there are more airplanes in the sky). So those who really want to fly for a living may be the ones getting the jobs. Those who presently fly airplanes and have talents beyond the cockpit will command higher salaries based upon their marketable skills outside of the cockpit. The 4-year degree will really become unimportant for those pursuing an aviation career.
P.S. I agree those UAL, AA, and USAirways furloughees will never see recall.

I agree, $100K is a great salary, for now. But what is $100K/yr going to be worth 5, 10, 15 years from now. Cost of living continues to increase but pilot salaries stay stagnant or decrease.

Adam Smith would still apply

At a certain point it will be impossible to attract pilots and salaries will have to be adjusted at that time. Remember back in the 60's when I made $7000/yr as a O-3 pilot in the Navy. It was a unbelievable pay to go a major airline where you could make $25/K per year. Supply and demand in a free market will stablize salaries.

pilotyip said:
At a certain point it will be impossible to attract pilots and salaries will have to be adjusted at that time. Remember back in the 60's when I made $7000/yr as a O-3 pilot in the Navy. It was a unbelievable pay to go a major airline where you could make $25/K per year. Supply and demand in a free market will stablize salaries.
I'm currently recalled to Active Duty from my airline job. The pay jumped from ~85K with the airline to ~115K with the military (much of it tax free ). I think it's ironic that guys are now taking voluntary mil leave from their major airline jobs and getting a sizable pay raise in doing so.

Expereienced the same thing

In the early 80's when I was unemployed, to be able as a reserve pilot to go on active duty saved my butt financially.

quote from pilotyip:
"I agree those UAL, AA, and USAirways furloughees will never see recall. "

So let me get this straight......you say that each mainline job creates 5 down the line, and that is what is going to create the hiring boom. You then go on to agree that furloughees from 3 of the largest carriers (including the two largest in the world) will never return. If furloughs from 3 of the largest carriers will never return (and hence no hiring there), how is there going to be an all-out hiring boom at the majors, let alone anywhere else?

And enough of the trade-a-plane references. That can hardly be considered the pinnacle of pilot job hiring data.

Clyde said:
I agree, $100K is a great salary, for now. But what is $100K/yr going to be worth 5, 10, 15 years from now. Cost of living continues to increase but pilot salaries stay stagnant or decrease.
$100K a year is only a good salary for a JUNIOR F/O at a major, that's it.

The 100K Jr F/O thing of the past in pax ops

Maybe in the package business, but those day are over in the pax business. And they are never coming back.

I don't care what you guys argue about wages and who will and wont make squat...I am so sick of what guys say, that wont make better than caravan pilot wages, gloating over the bad news...I could puke!

The fact of the matter is, there will not be good move ups if the economy stays down, not many will be able to ask for better wages or benefits if furloughs of pilots are prevelant in the news. And last but not least, when I witness a co-worker constantly complaining about the performance of his 401k over the last three years and then he sits there and gloats while reading a USA Today article on Friday regarding ATA and Delta news...I gotta say, "B!tch, what's wrong with you?"

We havent seen a COLA in all of the three years I been working for the company and this monkey comes back and says, "Well, I'm getting a pay raise at the end of the month!" Evidently the same payscale for the last 3 or 4 years is good enough for him, with the same old anual pay increases...but he thinks 35 and 45 percent pay reductions for mainline guys is something... "they got coming to them!"

It's freaking insane! We cannot get pay adjustments to our pay schedule, because of what's going on in the rest of the industry and to tell you the truth...we're doing great!

Well anyway, I hope you guys get more of your NWA people back on line and I hope the economy takes an upswing soon. Mainly because I want you mainline guys that are furloughed to get the hell out of my way, when I am ready to move up and onwards and because secondly, if I got to stay down here...I want bargaining power for better wages and benefits.

Good luck to you NWA guys and all the others!

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Maybe in the package business, but those day are over in the pax business. And they are never coming back.
I guess you haven't looked at SWA's compenstation then.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back