• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NuGuy

Ex-Commuter
For those interested....

NWA recalled 54 pilots for January. Management predicts recalling in excess of 400 for next year.

Some will defer recall, so your milage may vary...

With this, over 200 have been recalled, leaving 675 or so on furlough. Hopefully the end of 05 will see this down to 200 or so.

Nu

That is fantastic news!! I hope all of the NWA family gets back to work soon. I know many NWA brothers on the street trying to make ends meet.

Hiring boom in 2007

That means they may be the first of the legacy airlines to start hiring again. As they hire, pilots move up the food chain, every job at NWA creates 5 jobs down line. The multiplier effect will put hiring back the way it was in 1997, 1987, 1977 1967. So get your flight time and be ready, and make sure you attend the Air Inc conference to get the latest news on the coming hiring boom.

Just hold you wad their guys....They haven't hired shiite yet!!!

pilotyip said:
That means they may be the first of the legacy airlines to start hiring again. As they hire, pilots move up the food chain, every job at NWA creates 5 jobs down line. The multiplier effect will put hiring back the way it was in 1997, 1987, 1977 1967. So get your flight time and be ready, and make sure you attend the Air Inc conference to get the latest news on the coming hiring boom.
Are you the new spokesperson for Kit Darby and Co?

Wasn't he still stating a hiring boom just after 9/11 too?

Many more recalls needed BY all airlines before I'd consider going to one of his conferences. 2007 is a LONG way away and a several thousand furloughee's to go.

Kit has great product

I wish Kit had been around in 1977 when I left the Navy, my career may have been entirely different. For military aviators leaving the service, it will be the best $200 you ever spend. The hiring boom is coming all the signs are out there column inches in Trade-A-Plane is up, hiring is nearly double last years numbers. The furloughees are leaving their present jobs, and those jobs have to be filled. We have three NWA furloughees that will be returning to NWA in the next couple years. I find my pool ½ life has gone down by 50% in the last six months, because the poolies at USA Jet are finding other jobs before I call them for a job.

pilotyip said:

I highly doubt two years from now you're going to see UAL, DAL, USAir, and AMR in a big hurry to post the help-wanted signs in their windows. No doubt some companies will be hiring, but it is going to be a far cry from the type of hiring we saw in the previous booms. Also, salary and benefit prospects are not going to be anywhere near where they were during the previous booms either.

That disclaimer needs to be understood by anyone who may get excited by more Darby-ganda. Like I told someone earlier about researching this industry: the first thing to do is tell Kit Darby to take his information and blow it right out his a$$.

Supply Demand

Adam Smith applied to the next hiring boom. With salaries going to an unbelievable unacceptable low level of only $150K/yr and benefits, pensions going down the tubes, maybe fewer people will pursue a flying career. Not me because I think anything close to $100/yr is a great salary, so do most of my non-major (legacy) friends. Assuming an elastic demand/supply curve and with a lower supply competing for maybe a lower percentage of the jobs seen in 1999-2001, the percentage being hired per interview may go up. (I personally think the hiring boom of 2007-2009 will have bigger numbers than the hiring booms of past, because there are more airplanes in the sky). So those who really want to fly for a living may be the ones getting the jobs. Those who presently fly airplanes and have talents beyond the cockpit will command higher salaries based upon their marketable skills outside of the cockpit. The 4-year degree will really become unimportant for those pursuing an aviation career.
P.S. I agree those UAL, AA, and USAirways furloughees will never see recall.

Last edited:
Pilotyip,

Not to sound condescending, but you have to stop drinking the kool-aid!!!!

I am a furloughed AA guy (originally TWA) and AA just announced another 450 to be furloughed, calls have already gone out for the january guys. This will leave just over 3000 pilots furloughed at AA. If they started recalling six months after the last guy gets the axe in April 2005, and recalled 100/month (which is highly unlikely) it would be 2009 until everyone was recalled.

I highly doubt there will be a recall for a LONG time at USAirways, and UAL if any.

see above

I agree

Latest resources

Back