NWA Hiring scoop???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi NuGuy,

Another dirty little secret seldom discussed is that NWA has options for 200+ CRJ900s and EMB 175s. Now obviously some of these on the Bombardier side of the house could be converted to the still to be built CSeries or Q400s (think Saab replacement for Mesaba). But they can't place more than 90 76 seat RJs in service at Compass or Mesaba without putting a DC-9 replacement aircraft into mainline service on a one for one basis.

How do you get around this? Well, one way would be to draw down the narrow body floor as much as possible before May 31, 2008. This process is in fact already underway. Then you start placing CRJ900s into mainline service using the 77-100 seat payscale as outlined in LOA 2006-13 of the contract. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me for FOs, but second and third year pay is in the low to mid $40 an hour range. The Captain slots on this aircraft would go very junior because all pilots flying "new" aircraft at NWA in the 76 seat to 110 seat range, will be operating under the work rules for 77-110 seat aircraft as spelled out in the same LOA. In effect, you are working for a different airline, buried inside of NWA.

Making the assumption that most of the Captain seats for Measab'a CRJ900 will go very senior, A junior NWA crew could fly these aircraft for very similar hourly costs. Once the CSeries aircraft become available in 2012 or so, they could be placed into mainline service and a 76 seat RJ could be sent over to Mesaba. It would only take about 40-50 76 seat RJs at NWA to replace all of the current DC-9 seats, when the other 90 RJs already agreeed by NWA ALPA to are factored in.

For those who would dismiss my theory, all I can say is that the contractual language is already in place for such a scenario to play out. For those of you with a background in NWA management's operational style, you know that NWA seldom asks for something that they do not intend to use.

It will be interesting (and not in a good way) to see what will happen as the NWA narrow body fleet continues to shrink. I am glad that I am on the sidelines for this one.

Last edited:
Some FO payrates for those wonderful dc-9 replacement aircraft for mainline:

Emb 195:
Year 1- 30.09
Year 5- 50.83
Year 10- 58.94...... Year 10 pay to equal current dc-9 year 2 pay.

101-110 seat:
Year 1- 30.09
Year 5- 50.83
Year 8- 58.02..... Year 8 pay to equal current year 2 dc-9 pay.

77-100 seat:
Year 12 pay to equal current year 2 dc-9 pay.......

NWA Furloughee paints an interesting and plausible scenario. From those who have experienced NWA management first hand, I would not bet against this actually materializing.

Hi!

Info on the UAL hring process...from another board:

]...word around the DEN training center (called "TK" by UA peeps) is that there were only 600 apps after the first 3 days - they were expecting 3000+.

Will NWA be similar???

cliff
LRD

I disagree with these charts. NWA is only retiring around 200 pilots a year. Factor in the age 65 deal and now you have thrown out your charts. Lastly, NWA is NOT growing. It is still parking planes and retiring its DC-9s. There's no replacement airframe identified for the DC-9s which is why I believe more and more of that flying will go to Compass, Mesaba, and Pinnicle. I think you are looking more at 10 years to upgrade to Capt on the DC-9.

BTW, I've turned in my seniority number there. Best of luck to the guys and gals at NWA! All the ALPA things aside, thank you for working for the bankrupcy claim sale for us furloughed guys.

Last edited:
you might be right about flying going to compass and mesaba, but not pinnacle, we are done with growth for a very long time at nwa because of our delta stuff. Unless Delta and NWA merge...........................

Hi!

I don't understand how Pinncle will staff the DAL jets.

cliff
DAL

You will find these rates on page 3-11 of your CBA. I took a 10 year CA, as that is probably to most junior captain on property. Read it and weep:

A320: 134.88
DC-9: 121.84
101-110 seat replacement: 111.11
EMB195: 100.19
77-100 seat replacement: 94.74

The C-Series is a 110-130 seat model. We don't have pay rates established for that. NWA could insist on a 110 seat only version, but would still have to negotiate new rates if they wanted to expand seating capacity :bomb:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back