NWA had same problem as AF 447

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41bb9740&opt=0
Incident: Northwest A333 over East China Sea on Jun 23rd 2009, unreliable airspeed
By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Jun 25th 2009 22:26Z, last updated Thursday, Jun 25th 2009 22:26ZA

Northwest Airlines Airbus A330-300, registration N805NW performing flight NW-8 from Hong Kong (China) to Tokyo Narita (Japan), was enroute overhead the East China Sea, when the crew noticed a sharp drop of the indicated outside temperature followed by the loss of the air data reference system, disconnection of autopilot and autothrust system along with the loss of speed and altitude information. The flight crew used the stand by systems and was able to restore the primary data. The airplane landed safely in Tokyo Narita.

The NTSB is investigating, the flight data recorders have been retrieved, the aircraft condition monitoring system messages, crew statements and weather information are being collected by NTSB investigators.

The NTSB reported, that a very similiar incident happened on May 19th to a TAM Airbus A330-200.

i don't have tons of experience with pitot tubes, but isn't the real issue here flying in thunderstorms? The weather description matches that of a severe thunderstorm, the same as the AF weather situation.

if it ain't boeing, i ain't going.

Like you really have a choice...It's only democratic when you have finally hung up your wings.

For ********************s and grins how about "without a table I'm not able"

i don't have tons of experience with pitot tubes, but isn't the real issue here flying in thunderstorms? The weather description matches that of a severe thunderstorm, the same as the AF weather situation.

My sentiments exactly. Notice how the letter writer only mentions "rain". He is avoiding the elephant in the room.

When the radar shows red below and green and yellow at your flight level, you are trying to top a TRW. Why not just 20 degrees right for weather (oceanic or not).

Similar

While a different class of aircraft, the Beechjet fleet suffered through this issue. I personally experienced a failure of 2 of the 3 airspeed indicators at FL390. We were just in the tops. We could barely see ice crystals. Smooth ride.

For our fleet they discovered that the front of the tube was heated and the base was heated, but the 90 degree bend was not. Thus the front would heat the ice just enough to melt it an then it froze in the bend. During our descent through about FL210, it melted and the two failed airspeeds came back to normal.

From the news reports today (and we all know how accurate they are) pitot tube problems are relatively common on all airplanes accoriding to the NTSB databse.

Baja,
You should really delete your post. Did your friend know that you were going to post it on a public message board? It isn't properly de-identified and there may be legal ramifications.

Baja,
You should really delete your post. Did your friend know that you were going to post it on a public message board? It isn't properly de-identified and there may be legal ramifications.

I agree.

This is basically the NASAP report itself, on a public forum, with names in it.

That said, if I were in the crew I wouldn't have sent it out either.

Latest resources

Back