• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA execs want $20 million for themselves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Up until earlier this year, I worked for MCI (UUNET when I started, then Worldcom, then MCI/Worldcom...). I was at the company all through bankruptcy. Retention bonuses were given to quite a few "executives" with the explanation being along the same lines as Northwest's.

It was complete BS.

Meanwhile, the folks on the front lines were getting pink slips (I made it through 11 rounds of layoffs) and management got paid. Now that the company is being bought by Verizon, a few executives are getting ready to make a lot of money--and additional layoffs will follow for the people at the bottom.

That's the way it works in the corporate world. Those at the top stay on top, and those at the bottom get the leftovers (if anything at all).

Sad but true...

Don

Once again, NWA management's true colors show again without mercy. NWA history has shown only their management is worthy of "retaining" by giving bonuses and raises. Every other employee group is expendible and replaceable, i.e. NWA mechanics on the picketline. Your 20+ years of proven safety and reliability is not worthy of any incentive and since you are breaking 6 figures, we must replace you! This has been the NWA mgt. way since it's inception. Read Flying the Line Vol. I, Northwest Airways in the late 1920s. Brutal, just brutal union busting.

Basically, NWA mgt. is getting away with everything short of murder in the public's eye and no one is stopping them. It's truly amazing that they have the balls to even ask for 20 million- but hey, if I skipped ethics and morals classes at business school, flushed my conscious, and had a small johnson, I'd probably be the same way.

Last edited:
New Old Idea

I say we petition the BK Judge to implement the Lee Iokoka method: Each person in MGMT gets paid $1.00 per year until the company is turned around. They drove us in... they drive us out.

CP

The problem is: The public just doesn't care. ALPA has tried to educate the realities to the masses but nobody is listening. The ONLY thing that pax do care about is low priced tickets. So what if the two in the front make less than a teller at the bank......if they want to make more, go be a teller.

sf3boy said:
The problem is: The public just doesn't care. ALPA has tried to educate the realities to the masses but nobody is listening. The ONLY thing that pax do care about is low priced tickets. So what if the two in the front make less than a teller at the bank......if they want to make more, go be a teller.

Yup, ALPA has determined that the millions it takes to educate the public is quickly lost...

Which is one reason why the UAL pilots in the Summer of Love stranded so many passengers. The pax would cry.... I'll never fly UAL again! Only to see them next month take advantage of a UAL Super Saver fare....

The real problem is the ALPA pilots don't know how to care. The last thing they know anything about is how a union works and how to make it work for them. Well, the FedEx pilots are learning....

Just FYI, the $20Mil is for retention of salaried employees.. not just the higher ups. Most companies in bankruptcy usually offer some retention to some of their required personnel to keep them from bailing.

$20mil for probably 8-10K employees isn't that much

goaliemn said:
Just FYI, the $20Mil is for retention of salaried employees.. not just the higher ups. Most companies in bankruptcy usually offer some retention to some of their required personnel to keep them from bailing.

$20mil for probably 8-10K employees isn't that much

Read the article again, chief.

"Northwest Airlines is asking the bankruptcy court to approve millions of dollars in bonuses to a handful of executives. The airline wants executives to be allowed to retain their incentive plans, which are worth $20 million."

Pretty hard to justify an "incentive plan" (read: bonus) just because it was promised in an earlier contract. Doesn't stop them from breaking everyone else's contracts. That is the problem with upper management. They think they are more important than the masses.

But I guess someone needs to be around to furlough everyone else. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back