NWA DC-9's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Truckdriver

The latest info coming out of DALPA land concerning the 9's is that Delta will use them to replace current 50-seat flying and plans on parking none of them. If the NWA pilots are brought up to "parity" with the DAL pilots in a joint contract the work rules will require an immediate need for 300-400 more pilots to cover the flying. Also said more MD90's are still coming FWIW.

I'm not buying everything that is being pumped out here, but with the 700's, MD90's, 777's, and 787's that should be here by 2010, I'm actually believing that we won't see furloughs and might even see another 1000 newhires by 2010 if we get a joint contract and SLI done this year.

I was in the schoolhouse (NATCO) last week and was told the same thing by one of the APD's on the dc-9. Word is they will be used to phase out some of the 50 seaters until a sufficient replacement is available. There's still some speculation on what that replacement will be, but the common themes seem to be the Bombardier C-Series, EMB-190, B717's, or MD-90's.

Hopefully our MEC's can come together to get this deal done and benefit all of us!

Glad to hear the good news rumor...

Remember those diesel-9's are paid for and on average have many cycles left. Yes oil is at an all time high, but when you don't have to pay leases on 'em they just may make more money for the company than the RJ's... Wait a second, it is the original RJ!!!

Well, I'm glad to hear that news!

Now, both MEC's can get together, certain of the future of ALL the pilots on BOTH lists.

Glad everyone will now have job security!

(Says TC who distinctly remembers saying to himself "well, finally, I have job security" about two years before he got laid off... :rolleyes: )

REMEMBER--If management's lips are moving, THEY ARE LYING!!! TC

What a concept! Use the -9s to serve those RJ markets with less frequency. RJs are too thirsty and what's the point of using a precious arrival slot for 50 seats when you can use it for 100 seats?

Heard same today from Fleet poobahs. RJ's not cutting it at a few saturated airports, and have high lease payments. Liquidity is the buzzword right now as they scramble to prevent the triggering of covenants.

Training rate unchanged due to (grrr!) returning 60+ year-olds coming back to A320/B757 captain seats. They ramped-up P.T.R. before they knew those guys would be coming back. Now they will have a slight surplus, but are offering short "leaves" instead of displacements, which would cause a "category cascade" and more training. Short leaves allow Crew Planning to keep the current number of bodies in each seat.

Strange.

Strange indeed!!! With an intact pension and golden years ahead, it amazes me that we have even one pilot who would rather be schlepping around airports than enjoying retirement. The difference in dollars between flying after sixty and retirement is negligible.

Some guys just have no life, I guess. Sad!!

Last edited:
Remember those diesel-9's are paid for and on average have many cycles left. Yes oil is at an all time high, but when you don't have to pay leases on 'em they just may make more money for the company than the RJ's

Yes, however the 9's can be parked without having to make lease payments, while a parked RJ - which NWA owns and leases to PCL, CPZ, and XJ all have payments monthly. The DC9 acts as shock absorber, and unfortunately so do the pilots flying them.

I have heard rumored that RA wants to reallocate the DC9's and run them on routes against AAI and other mid-continent flying. As he said in the merger conference calls there is nothing in the inventory between 76 and 152 seats other than DC9.

Despite GL's leanings that somehow your dick size is tied to the newness of your aircraft, or the ability to go direct, the DC9 is still a work horse, and is built like the proverbial brick @hit house - keep maintained and they will go for ever. Let's not forget that it was RA who originally refurbed and renewed the DC9.

I hope the rumors correct, because it represents more jobs for all of us, and I wouldn't be surprised to see even a few Widgets bidding -9 Captain. It's still more fun for some to be Captain of the tug boat as opposed to the second first mate on the Queen Mary

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back