STORIES

•​
Northwest Airlines Mechanics Strike

•​
Bush Unlikely to Intervene in Possible Northwest Strike

•​
Northwest Stocks Fall on Fears of Bankruptcy

writeScroll(openTab2,'2');

ROMULUS, Mich. — Four tires blew out on a Northwest Airlines (search) jet while it was landing at Detroit Metropolitan Airport (search) on Saturday, the first day of a mechanics strike at the airline.

No injuries were reported, Northwest spokeswoman Jennifer Bagdade said. She said it was premature to speculate on the cause of the blowout.

"Issues like this occur from time to time at any airline, and at Northwest, we investigate any such operational issues," she said.

Flight 210 (search) from Seattle was carrying 222 passengers when it landed just before 4 p.m.

The Boeing 757 came to a stop on a taxiway, and buses lined up to transport the passengers to the terminal. Crews were using trucks to clear a runway of debris.

Earlier Saturday, Northwest's union mechanics walked off the job amid failed contract talks rather than agree to take pay cuts and layoffs. Northwest, the nation's fourth-largest carrier, turned over its maintenance work to replacement workers. The strike is the industry's first major walkout in seven years.

Last edited:
That will give the new Mx people something to do. Did the NWA mech's slash the tires before they went on strike?

They had a live feed of it on Fox news....flight 210 SEA to DTW. The news guys were talking about this normally wouldn't be newsworthy, but since the mechanics are on strike????? HMMMMM

They also had a 747-200 land at Guam yesterday (or maybe the day before) that had the nose gear collapse on roll out. Look on Airliners.net for the actual pictures. Scary stuff.

Bye Bye--General Lee

viper548 said:
That will give the new Mx people something to do. Did the NWA mech's slash the tires before they went on strike?
My money is on an Anti-Skid "problem". . .

There was another news story that said another NWA flight had to make a diversion after FA's reported smoke in the cabin. Pilots resolved the issue the article said, by shutting off one of the airconditioning systems.

I'm thinking that the news is just grabbing at any story they can, now that NWA mx is on strike. Prior to the strike, they could have written tons of stories like this, had they just thumbed through the NTSB reports. Now it's big news.

I can see it now...

"Northwest Airline Pilots MEL a Nav Light...FILM AT ELEVEN!"

Last edited:
30 year old DC-9's, scab mechanics,.......................what can go wrong?

Jetjockey said:
30 year old DC-9's, scab mechanics,.......................what can go wrong?

I'd bet that those Diesel 9's cause less trouble than the rest of the fleet. I mean, what's to go wrong with em? They've nothing too complicated to fix and what isn't fixable isn't important . Keep the cables stretched tight and those Dougs will last forever.

enigma

What's absolutly amazing to me is that they are running an airline with NO mechanics. They may get away with it for a few days but this is going to kill NWA. Over half these guys stand to lose their jobs, so they have nothing to lose. My guess is that a lot of them will never come back.

The meltdown will be slow, but probably will happen. As more and more a/c starts having mx issues, the schedule will start to suffer with more delays and cancellations. Maybe, just maybe, that will force NWA back to the table and offer the Mechs something they can live with.

I for one, applaud the NWA mechanics for taking a stand, finally someone has had enough. The continual decimation of labour, as a way of making a profit has to end. Particularily at NWA, the perpetual killer of fare increases. One could speculate, that had NWA gone along with just half of them, that these draconian measures would not be needed.

Latest resources

Back