• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA and DAL walk away from merger deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Enjoyed a mass retirement? Wow, that was enjoyable, including all of the planes that were retired at the same time (737-200s, 737-300s, 767-200s, and MD11s). You might be able to enjoy the same things soon with your DC9s and 742s. So much fun..

Bye Bye--General Lee

How many numbers did you move up over the last 5 years. if you give me your name and employee number, I can tell everyone and they will see you are full of crap!

If management really walked from this deal, there is an alterer motive.
I really do not think that this is over. This was round one.
They've already revised the news story several times. ACL65 could be correct.

Next time, I'm not sure the pilots will have the opportunity to play such a pivotal role.

Thank God!
NWA pilots think they have some sort of entitlement. Demanding DOH!:laugh:
Maybe you guys should pair up with the Us Airways east pilots......Now THAT's a good match!
Imagine the reps telling the rank and file......
Well guys, we know you stand to get:
30% raises over the life of the contract
DC plan to 14%
RJ's capped at 255
$75k in equity.
But they won't agree to a staple!

Talk about MORONS!

You sir are a clown.

30% raise still gives us a 20% paycut from old rates. Would probably give it back and more when Anderson cries BK again. 14% DC, I get 18% NOW. RJ'S capped? again, for now. Delta guys lead in the industry in giving away scope. 75% in equity? What kind? Stock? Options? Ask the UAL guys how that worked out.

Under DAL's propasals, a 2003 hire, would be next to a 1989 hire at NWA, but thats fair because we have "old" dc-9's?

Another genious...

Speaking of "geniouses", you won't see anything like that now thanks to Steenland coming back. And we got stock for our exit of BK, but it was all sold prior and we got large checks---which means CASH. You could have had it Mav, you could have had it. I can't wait to hear what your reps tell you, and your subsequent reactions....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Speaking of "geniouses", you won't see anything like that now thanks to Steenland coming back. And we got stock for our exit of BK, but it was all sold prior and we got large checks---which means CASH. You could have had it Mav, you could have had it. I can't wait to hear what your reps tell you, and your subsequent reactions....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well, I got 135K in cash after BK and 75k or so from DAL won't make up for the career stagnation most NWA pilots will face. NWA will be just fine with DAL.

Thanks not correct at all . Do you believe everything you hear Einstein? You guys enjoyed a mass retirement recently and there is NO way that the NWA guys will give up the chance to do the same over the next 5-10 years.

We paid for that mass retirement with the loss of our DB plan. They key to any deal will be allowing your guys to benefit from your retirements and our guys not to lose the benefit they received at a very heavy price. Most DL guys will never come close to making up the loss of the DB plan.

Any deal will have to be a compromise. I'm trying to leave the dead horse alone but, a relative seniority deal is a large compromise, in my opinion.

It allows your guys access to many airplanes they never had before. A higher paying, larger fleet overall. A NW -9 copilot bidding to the 757/767 is in for a big pay raise in today's dollars.

It exposes DL guys to a fleet which may be the first to be retired in the coming, possibly large, recession.

It makes, by default, the junior capt position at the new company a DC-9 to a cold spot. Not a choice I or many DL guys would take advantage of.

You can argue about which bases are better but when new pilots are looking for a job, location is important. Not sure what percentage of NW guys commute but it's high. I thought maybe 50% when I was there? The DL bases will most likely see an influx of former commuters and the resulting loss of seniority which you guys keep saying "is not for sale"

Age 60 retirements is pure speculation. Guys get wrapped up in this career as their identity and can't give it up. Plus 5 more years working is 5 less years you're drawing money out of your account. Look at all the FedEX ropes who just bid back to the left seat. Those guys have huge retirements and are still around.

Anyway, both sides are giving things with relative seniority. You take away any chance for compromise when you pound the table and say "our seniority is not for sale".

Well, I got 135K in cash after BK and 75k or so from DAL won't make up for the career stagnation most NWA pilots will face. NWA will be just fine with DAL.

So, you think we will be together? What are you saying now? Are you drunk? BTW, most of us got at least that much cash, and to think that your DC9s will stick around, along with your 742s, is ridiculous. But best of all, you get to keep Steenland. Enjoy that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nobody has walked away yet. Delta needs the merger because it can not stand alone financially. The NWA execs need a merger so they can pack their golden chutes and walk away. NWA is better off standing alone as a company however. Nevertheless a serious downturn is in our future it may be worse than 2001-2005 maybe much worse....

Where again do you get the info that "we cannot stand alone financially?" Anderson and Bastian said we have a great stand alone plan, and if for some reason we did need help, our friends in FRANCE have already shown a willingness to help us. Your off the wall comments show your ignorance.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So, you think we will be together? What are you saying now? Are you drunk? BTW, most of us got at least that much cash, and to think that your DC9s will stick around, along with your 742s, is ridiculous. But best of all, you get to keep Steenland. Enjoy that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

If thats your logic, what about those gas guzzling, old 767's? or MD-80's? GMAFB. Dpn't get too cocky about Anderson. NWA is 30% small than DAL, yet has more cah and made more money last year, along with higher margins. You need us much more than we need you.

No, I don't think we will get together, unless there is SLI arbitration.

We paid for that mass retirement with the loss of our DB plan. They key to any deal will be allowing your guys to benefit from your retirements and our guys not to lose the benefit they received at a very heavy price. Most DL guys will never come close to making up the loss of the DB plan.

Any deal will have to be a compromise. I'm trying to leave the dead horse alone but, a relative seniority deal is a large compromise, in my opinion.

It allows your guys access to many airplanes they never had before. A higher paying, larger fleet overall. A NW -9 copilot bidding to the 757/767 is in for a big pay raise in today's dollars.

It exposes DL guys to a fleet which may be the first to be retired in the coming, possibly large, recession.

It makes, by default, the junior capt position at the new company a DC-9 to a cold spot. Not a choice I or many DL guys would take advantage of.

You can argue about which bases are better but when new pilots are looking for a job, location is important. Not sure what percentage of NW guys commute but it's high. I thought maybe 50% when I was there? The DL bases will most likely see an influx of former commuters and the resulting loss of seniority which you guys keep saying "is not for sale"

Age 60 retirements is pure speculation. Guys get wrapped up in this career as their identity and can't give it up. Plus 5 more years working is 5 less years you're drawing money out of your account. Look at all the FedEX ropes who just bid back to the left seat. Those guys have huge retirements and are still around.

Anyway, both sides are giving things with relative seniority. You take away any chance for compromise when you pound the table and say "our seniority is not for sale".

Great post. Also adding again that our retirements came with LARGE aircraft retirements at the same time---something they will probably do soon with high gas and gas guzzling DC9s and 742s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back