NW ALPA to stand up for Scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyinisforbirds said:
Northwest gives up scope to save pensions = (select answer from below)

a. Northwest pilots get significant increase in defined benefit pension funding
b. Northwest Pilots get recalled in massive numbers
c. Pensions get the axe
d. Jim wins powerball
Both c and d.

General Lee said:
PS--we just had 2500 captains leave with half of their pensions in a lump sum. Will I give up more so they can get the other half? No.

Gee General seems to me that's a short sighted statment! With them gone it's you that stands to win or lose that pension! Remember what your Father said..."it's not what you make it's what you save...!"

spinproof said:
Remember what your Father said..."it's not what you make it's what you save...!"

My dad never said that. He said buy assets not liabilities. Or maybe he said get drunk and screw. Oh wait, was that my Rich Dad or my Poor Dad? I can never remember.

I just hope that someday I can fly a shiny airplane for $6.75 an hour. Please don't take that away from me.

mynameisjim said:
I just hope that someday I can fly a shiny airplane for $6.75 an hour. Please don't take that away from me.

I think you'll get your chance. As far as scope being a strike issue, and then liquidation as NuGuy as said, are the widebody captains aware of this plan? I think strike and liquidation to save Airbus FO's is not part of their business model.

I have always supported mainline keeping as much flying as possible but.....I am so sick of you so called "mainline" pilots posting on the regional boards with all of your chest pounding. It is like college nerds going to the local high school to look cool. Go back! Better yet, keep going on the chest pounding, your former allies are starting to turn against you. I'm sure that will help your case.

Redmeat said:
You XJ/9E guys are hilarious. You continually "dis" mainline and then at the end of all your posts you put in "hope the best for you guys'.

No you don't.

Redmeat,

I don't think they are bashing mainline guys at all. He brought up a very good point regarding pension and scope. Probably can't have both...

Keep up the AWESOME Dif'rent Strokes quotes. They're so funny!

Whats with all of the ngative crap coming out of this? Is it not good that NWA ALPA decided to not lay down on some of these crucial issues? I wonder how much negativity there would be if they decided to give up and to give alot of that flying to the regional level? Would some of your frowns turn into smiles?

I say good on em.

Tom

General Lee said:
The quote came from the NW MEC chair. Everyone knows the pensions are toast anyway. NW and DL want 25 years from Congress to fund them, and Congress so far as agreed to 14 years. Therefore, I think Scope will be the highest priority issue. They obviously want the jobs, regardless of the costs. IF they give up the larger RJs now, they will have to give up more later. I hope National ALPA sees this too.

The pensions are toast. Say that ten times fast Jimmy Dandy.

Hi General,

An astute point...

The pensions all hinge on the pending legislation in Congress. If it passes, the 'A' fund "liability" gets re-figured with more realistic return rates, and any remaining funding deficit gets a longer period for payback....payments which the returns on the actual money in the fund iteself may actually make unecessesary.

By the way, this in no way is this pawning the problem off on the taxpayer. It's simply allowing time for the funds to self correct. Interest rates are on the rise, and that in itself goes a long way.

If the legislation doesn't pass, there are no concessions that could EVER be made to make up federally required payments...heck, the pilots could work for free, and it wouldn't matter. The pensions will be distress terminated...period.

The pension mess is out of our hands, and nothing the pilots do (other than call/write/email their congress critter), especially at the negotiating table, will make any difference.

If the pilots give up scope to save the pension now, and there turns out to be no pension reform, you've lost both scope AND the pension. It's best to hang onto the thing you CAN control.

Giving up something to "save" the pension is pointless. The MEC and negotiating commitee sees this, thus the big push to protect what we already have.

I don't blame the XJ/9E guys for watching this mess unfold. They're tied to Big Red Mama, and everyone else's dance card is full.

Nu

The mainline guys may not have to protect their pensions. NWA management also have pensions that are just as underfunded as the pilots. Doug S. has deep pockets and will try to save his pension too. With the Pension Relief Bill possibly going to pass in the next few months, it may convince the Banckrupcy judge that the Pension Plans can be listed as a secure debt at NWA and DAL. The PBGC does not want them dumped again and they are also campaigning to the gov't to pass this bill with as much relief as possible.

Yo Monster Buck,
I know I have seen your input on the "majors" boards and your posts seemed pretty even keeled. Don't go off on this "former allies" thing because then "they" win. I am going anywhere the information is and there is some good stuff here. What happens to the "former" mainline guys is we get flamed by a guy like Jim Dandy and when we rebut him (always easy to do) it sort of spews over on to the other regional guys.
There is a real threat that we will strike over this SCOPE issue. I would not count it out.

Latest resources

Back