NW ALPA to stand up for Scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Thirty days is a very short period of time," McClain said. Northwest has been seeking cuts since early 2003, although pilots agreed to preliminary concessions last fall.

McClain said pilots will have to sacrifice to keep Northwest flying. But on the key issue of who flies some of Northwest's mid-sized jets, an agreement could be elusive. The pilots contract says that all planes with 70 or more seats must be flown by Northwest pilots, while Northwest has long sought to give more of that flying to its regional carriers, where pilots earn less.

"I don't see how we go there," McClain said. He said the union is open to discussing lower pay for flying smaller jets, but they would still have to be Northwest pilots.

"We're not just going to walk away from our job protections," he said.

Let's see if Dalpa will.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Let's see if they still feel that way when they have to choose between pension and scope.

For the record, I hope they keep their scope. I just don't think they will keep both and unfortunately I think pensions will win.

Good luck, NWA drivers.

Have fun trying to negotiate with a bankruptcy judge.

If it goes as far as that your only recourse will be to strike once your new contract is forced upon the labor group.

Perhaps if you would of swallowed your pride and allowed some sort of j4j deal you wouldn't be faced with this. But look out here comes MESA. I saw this happing years ago!!!

Anyone willing to place odds on those 50 year old plus senior guys will they be willing to give up a bit of scope for even less pay.

I'm betting 1 to 2.7 against

You XJ/9E guys are hilarious. You continually "dis" mainline and then at the end of all your posts you put in "hope the best for you guys'.

No you don't.

The quote came from the NW MEC chair. Everyone knows the pensions are toast anyway. NW and DL want 25 years from Congress to fund them, and Congress so far as agreed to 14 years. Therefore, I think Scope will be the highest priority issue. They obviously want the jobs, regardless of the costs. IF they give up the larger RJs now, they will have to give up more later. I hope National ALPA sees this too.

The pensions are toast. Say that ten times fast Jimmy Dandy.

Bye Bye--General Lee

PS--we just had 2500 captains leave with half of their pensions in a lump sum. Will I give up more so they can get the other half? No.

Last edited:
Give up Scope = Saving Pensions ……… if you are a pilot who got your MBA from your local FBO

One of the few things they taught me in college was correlation. Giving up scope has never saved pensions because there is NO correlation. If ALPA gives up scope, it will not influence whether management will terminate a pension. Whether they terminate a pension is related to external factors unrelated to scope. Most likely it will be related to if they can freeze the pension and create a defined contribution plan....pending congressional legislation.

Question #1

U.S. Airways gave up scope to save pensions = Pensions got the axe
United gave up scope to save pensions = Pensions got the axe
Northwest gives up scope to save pensions = (select answer from below)

a. Northwest pilots get significant increase in defined benefit pension funding
b. Northwest Pilots get recalled in massive numbers
c. Pensions get the axe
d. Jim wins powerball

Redmeat said:
You XJ/9E guys are hilarious. You continually "dis" mainline and then at the end of all your posts you put in "hope the best for you guys'.

No you don't.

Don't generalize all of us. I for one hate the fact that we're 'growing' (now shrinking I guess) only because that means that I'll be flying the CRJ even longer now. This is a public board and a lot of people beeotch and moan about RJ vs. Mainline, Mil vs. Civ, but in the long run I hate to see any airline suffering. I also know that without mainline I wouldn't have a job. Do I feel good about RJ's supplementing mainline flying? Heck no! But at the same time, I have a job to do until I'm fortunate enough to leave, or NWA dangles the carrot at another regional besides XJ or 9E. Good luck to all of us.Peace,Rook

General Lee said:
IF they give up the larger RJs now, they will have to give up more later. I hope National ALPA sees this too.

I agree, it better to get the equipment on the property first then work on bringing up pay/work rules because you can't negociate to improve on something if you don't have it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back