Number Clicker On Southwest Yoke?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I got a chance to go into the cockpit of a Southwest 737-700 and there was a number clicker on the yoke, does anyone know what it could be? The number clicker had space for 3 digits and was on the right side of the yoke.

I asked the person I was with what it could be and they said it might be for the pilots to record wind direction or something.

Delta3 said:
I got a chance to go into the cockpit of a Southwest 737-700 and there was a number clicker on the yoke, does anyone know what it could be? The number clicker had space for 3 digits and was on the right side of the yoke.

I asked the person I was with what it could be and they said it might be for the pilots to record wind direction or something.

Most 737's have these. We use it for the flight number so you don't forget it.

I believe that would be to put the flight number on so that they could remember it when they had to make a radio call. Not positive, could be wrong. Don't know if they actually use it that way or not, particularly with all the 4 digit flight numbers out there nowdays.

FJ

On the 727 and early 737s (maybe 707s and 747s too, I dunno) those were the original altitude alerters, the first number only went as high as 4. Now, on the later 737s, it is used for flight number reminding, as all three numbers go to 9.

I don't fly for Southwest but I do fly a 737 and yes the "number clicker" is to put your flight number in front of you so you can remember it when you are making a radio call.

I would like to be the guy that invented that thing- he is probably a
multi-bagillionaire. I would not get any of my radio calls right if I did not have that thing in front of me to help me remember my flight number.

I use it to grade the flight attendants, it only goes to nine which helps the F/A's keep from getting a swollen head.

:p

Latest resources

Back